2021 Genesis G80

kobayashiGT

1 hour ago, Spurman said:

These luxury G80 is also mainly catered for the American markets and not so for European markets thus they did not does what BMW, Audis, Mercs in using 1.5T, 2.0T, but using the V6s muscle engines, 3.8CC road tax definately a killer in Singapore market. Plus I tink the VES will be like phoo, +40k? Lol.

If G80 fitted with a 2.0Turbo charged I think this may be a game changer in Singapore. It will put Lexus to shame liao as I genuinely feel this kid of cars are more fun to drive than the mudane Lexus.

Max VES C2=$20000 tax. Not $40k

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

I quite like the interior, though the rev counter that goes in the opposite direction is not the most natural, and I didn't like it at all when I drove the Peugeot 308 and G20 BMW 330i.

Edited by iamahbee
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
7 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Really lovely, the 2.5L engine might sell here. If its priced like es250 or s90 then it might have a chance

Probably need to be priced below, then can sell. Public perception is still very poor. 

5th Gear
(edited)

I would think dun bother bringing it here, until it is already selling widely in overseas markets i.e brand acceptance established elsewhere.

The snob appeal (bragging rights) will not be here in SG until rest of the world say so.

Edited by Alfc
  • Praise 3

11 minutes ago, Alfc said:

I would think dun bother bringing it here, until it is already selling widely in overseas markets i.e brand acceptance established elsewhere.

The snob appeal (bragging rights) will not be here in SG until rest of the world say so.

How true and how unfortunate... sigh...

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, iamahbee said:

I quite like the interior, though the rev counter that goes in the opposite direction is not the most natural, and I didn't like it at all when I drove the Peugeot 308 and G20 BMW 330i.

Agree about the rev counter... a bit weird...

Turbocharged

Judging from the pics and videos I have seen so far, the G80's interior quality, materials, fit and finish, luxury, and the sheer amount of technology trumps every other luxury car below $300K. 

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Judging from the pics and videos I have seen so far, the G80's interior quality, materials, fit and finish, luxury, and the sheer amount of technology trumps every other luxury car below $300K. 

About 5 years back, when Komoco brought in the first Genesis, I went to sit in it... already super impressed with the quality of the interior... if this is even better, it will be quite unbelievable...

• Praise 1

Supercharged
13 minutes ago, teomingern said:

About 5 years back, when Komoco brought in the first Genesis, I went to sit in it... already super impressed with the quality of the interior... if this is even better, it will be quite unbelievable...

They have better chance with the upcoming GV80 SUV.

Also they need to work on branding.

Must force AD like Komoco to setup a separate showroom and servicing experience otherwise it will still be like buying an expensive Hyundai and crowding with the 70k Elantra buyers.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
22 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Must force AD like Komoco to setup a separate showroom and servicing experience otherwise it will still be like buying an expensive Hyundai and crowding with the 70k Elantra buyers.

No need all the glamour set up lah..

Just give me the Best Price will do ..

I can live with the crowd..

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

5th Gear
32 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Me too. A fully loaded car (close to E class mid-high spec) but the price of a C class. Too bad the big cc engine (think more than 3.5L?) is the deal breaker.

21 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Few years back, I gathered there are already plans to do so but I guess the "popularity" of lack of for the brand does not justify the ROI.

From what I see and hear so far, still the same old record and opinion from most people. Cannot deny SG prefers bare bone or smallish conti for the same price.

15 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Probably need to be priced below, then can sell. Public perception is still very poor. 

But impossible to sell cheaper as their price in beginning higher than camry and slightly cheaper from E class in USA. This car basically like CLS or A7 at price of C class

13 hours ago, Alfc said:

But driving this car will attract more attention than driving a C or E class. Ppl can tell its an expensive car

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
On 4/18/2020 at 8:21 PM, iamahbee said:

When the Hyundai Genesis was first launched here in October 2014, it had a launch price of $230k with Cat B COE being $70+k. All things being equal, at today's COE levels, we could be looking at a price closer to $200k,

The only question it begs is whether there will be any takers in badge conscious Singapore?

There's takers for the Mercedes E180, fitted with a 1.5l turbo engine at $227K, but there may not be takers for the Genesis at $200K even if its fitted with a 2.5L turbo engine.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

26 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

There's takers for the Mercedes E180, fitted with a 1.5l turbo engine at $227K, but there may not be takers for the Genesis at $200K even if its fitted with a 2.5L turbo engine.

150k can work if they really want to push limits and make low margin to establish road presence.

Otherwise, stripping is the way to go.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1