14 countries that are paying their workers during quarantine — and how they compare to America's $1,200 stimulus checks

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

14 countries that are paying their workers during quarantine — and how they compare to America's $1,200 stimulus checks

source: https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/photos/14-countries-that-are-paying-their-workers-during-quarantine-—-and-how-they-compare-to-americas-dollar1200-stimulus-checks/ss-BB12I9Mr?li=BBr8Mkh

BB12Gp1S.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

• As countries around the world bear the brunt of the coronavirus pandemic, some governments are stepping in with direct assistance.
  • From monthly payments to one-time checks, many countries are putting cash directly in the hands of impacted or self-employed workers.
  • 80 million Americans should receive stimulus checks this week, and tens of millions are set to receive them today.
  • Others, like France and Denmark, have stepped in to subsidize workers' wages and prevent layoffs.

The wake of the coronavirus pandemic has left people around the world have with their livelihoods — and daily lives — completely upended. 

In response to the economic fallout, some governments have stepped in to cushion the blow felt by sudden closures and the shrinking of entire industries. In many countries, workers in specific sectors and self-employed citizens have found themselves particularly impacted.

The United States Treasury Department announced that at least 80 million Americans will have their $1,200 stimulus checks direct-deposited this week — and tens of millions should have received them by today. On top of that stimulus check, House Democrats just introduced the Emergency Money for the People Act; the bill would give $2,000 every month — for six months — to Americans over the age of 16 making less than $130,000 a year.

From checks to basic income, here's how different countries are providing direct assistance.

BB12GdxV.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Spain is moving towards establishing a permanent basic income.

On Sunday evening, minister for economic affairs Nadia Calviño said that the government was working on implementing cash handouts. It will likely be for low-income citizens.

There is no exact plan for when handouts will begin, or what exactly it will look like. 

"We're going to do it as soon as possible," Calviño said, Business Insider's Joseph Zeballos-Roig reports. "So it can be useful, not just for this extraordinary situation, and that it remains forever."

BB12Gu0T.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Denmark will pay 75% to 90% of workers' salaries on behalf of employers, as long as workers aren't laid off.

In mid-March, the Danish government announced that it would give private companies 75% of their workers' salaries for 13 weeks. Companies can only receive that money — $3,288 a month— if they do not fire workers, Derek Thompson at The Atlantic reports.

The measure is meant to keep workers home during the pandemic; they're not allowed to work during the three month period.

The government will also cover sick leave and give businesses money for fixed expenses like rent, Business Insider's Joseph Zeballos-Roig reports. The country may spend up to 13% of its gross domestic product financing the plan.

BB12GfPi.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

In the Netherlands, the government will pay up to 90% of workers' salaries.

Companies that expect to lose at least 20% of their revenue can apply for funding. The government will then cover wages for the next three months. 

Companies are only eligible for funding if they don't lay off workers during the time the government provides aid.

BB12GkFI.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

The UK government will pay up to 80% of workers' wages, a first for the country.

The plan will cover around $3,000 a month, Zeballos-Roig reports. And companies could use it retroactively, rehiring any workers who were laid off.

In addition, the government has given free cash grants to small businesses.

BB12GrvH.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

France is offering self-employed workers up to $1,600.

Around 600,000 French citizens can receive the money if lockdowns stopped them from working or reduced business by 70%, reports Melissa Eddy at The New York Times.

Additionally, the country is spending $50 billion to pay businesses to keep workers employed, according to Liz Alderman at The New York Times.

"There's a very different strategy in Europe than in the United States about how to manage this recession," Patrick Artus, chief economist of Paris-based Natixis Bank, told Alderman. "The idea is to have no layoffs or company closures, so that when the coronavirus is finally under control the economy can start right back up."

BB12Gp2u.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Germany is offering aid to small employers and freelancers, and 150,000 workers in Berlin received direct assistance within days.

All 16 states in Germany are offering payments to smaller businesses and self-employed citizens, Eddy reports. The aid comes from a combination of state funds and federal support from the country's coronavirus package.

In Berlin, this group accounts for almost a quarter of all business. The process for receiving aid there has reportedly been noteworthy for its efficiency.

"We are all pretty amazed," Laurenz Bostedt, a freelance photographer, told Eddy. "It went surprisingly fast and was all refreshingly well-organized."

BB12Gdyq.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Italy will give around $650 to self-employed and seasonal workers.

The day after applications for funds opened, the website crashed, Eddy reports.

BB12GiEC.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

The United States will send many Americans $1,200 stimulus checks.

Many Americans will automatically receive their checks, Business Insider's Libby Kane and Tanza Loudenback report. Around 80 million Americans will receive them this week, with tens of millions slated to get theirs by April 15.

Paper checks will be sent out after April 24.

Not everyone will receive $1,200; you can use an online calculator to figure out how much you'll receive.

Two House Democrats — Rep. Tim Ryan and Rep. Ro Khanna — have introduced a bill that would provide even more funds to Americans. Business Insider's Charles Davis reported that, under the Emergency Money for the People Act, American citizens over the age of 16 — and making less than $130,000 — would receive $2,000 a month.

The payments would last for at least six months and until unemployment returns to a pre-pandemic level. Qualifying families could receive an additional $500 per child.

BB12GkG4.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

In Brussels, self-employed workers are eligible for replacement income in March and April.

The different regions of Belgium have offered different payments. Brussels will compensate those who are self-employed and have either had to stop working or had work disrupted for at least seven days.

The different regions are all offering funding to impacted cultural sectors.

BB12Gu1h.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

South Korea will cover 70% or more of wages.

Some contractors and self-employed or part-time workers may also be eligible for a one-time cash payment, The New York Times reports.

BB12Grw9.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Malaysia is offering direct handouts to workers in some impacted industries.

Bus and taxi drivers, tour guides, immigration workers, and medical workers will all receive money from Malaysia's coronavirus package, Bloomberg reports.

BB12GdyE.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Ireland introduced weekly emergency payments for self-employed people and those who had lost their jobs.

Payments were about $220 a week, according to Reuters. Over 58,000 people had claimed them just three days after the announcement.

BB12GiF1.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

In Australia, over 6 million "low-income earners" will receive $750 cash payments.

"Frankly, it is about a cash injection into the Australian economy, which supports small businesses and supports medium businesses," Prime Minister Scott Morrison said, according to The Guardian.

"That, in turn, supports the jobs, which means people can continue to participate positively in the economy and have greater confidence going forward."

BB12GkGq.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

In Hong Kong, the government will pay 50% of workers' salaries for six months.

The government will also funnel over $100 million into a program that helps workers learn new skills and businesses implement more technology, South China Morning Post (SCMP) reports.

Additionally, the government will add 30,000 new jobs in the next two years.

"In these unprecedented circumstances, the government must have some unprecedented responses — to help businesses to survive, safeguard employment, and minimize the burden on businesses and citizens," Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor said, according to SCMP.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

And then, there are some who will be struggling during these times...

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/200-left-with-family-of-6-to-get-through-3-weeks

A few packs of instant noodles, some cooking oil, a half-full bag of rice, and a bottle scraped nearly clean of chilli sauce - that was all on the kitchen shelves for a family of six living in a two-room rental flat.

That was a little over a week ago, on April 10. With only $200 left for his wife and four children over the next three weeks, Sam (not his real name), 37, has to stretch every dollar to make ends meet.

Those with subscription can share the full article?

Malaysians who are stuck here after non-essential services shut down:

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/covid-19-told-go-unpaid-leave-malaysians-singapore-find-themselves-limbo

1 hour ago, Inlinefour said:

Guess sillypore is the lowest given and highest taken during pandemic 😭😭😭

profit above people style 😷😷😷

I thought the gahmen is giving money to employers to keep their employees paid?

That's over and above the solidarity package going to citizens. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

gov give to landlord but...tenant got it?

gov give to boss but...staff got it?

gov give packages but...how many qualify right?

gov said many jobs created but...how many local born got it?

we have to help ourselves...people inside ivory tower already lost touch to ground

stay safe stay home stay healthy :a-toast:

Supercharged
3 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Yes , they are helping all business to retain the local employees by paying 75% of their April salary due to the CB . On top of that , they are also helping to pay 25 to 75% of local employees salaries for 9 months . Of course , all salaries are capped at 4,600 per month . 

this i felt is a very good move by the government to support the locals . Only SG Citizen qualifies hor .  

Payouts will be done in 3 tranches ( April / July / Oct )  , and they pay basis the CPF contributions which again is a very good move . Any company who retrenched their local workers over the next 9 months will have their payout reduced also .  

There are some here who will just complains about the G no matter what they do . 

Edited by Hubwee
  • Praise 4

19 minutes ago, Hubwee said:

Yes , they are helping all business to retain the local employees by paying 75% of their April salary due to the CB . On top of that , they are also helping to pay 25 to 75% of local employees salaries for 9 months . Of course , all salaries are capped at 4,600 per month . 

this i felt is a very good move by the government to support the locals . Only SG Citizen qualifies hor .  

Payouts will be done in 3 tranches ( April / July / Oct )  , and they pay basis the CPF contributions which again is a very good move . Any company who retrenched their local workers over the next 9 months will have their payout reduced also .  

There are some here who will just complains about the G no matter what they do . 

Thanks. I won't hold back from criticism where I feel it's deserved, but I'll give credit where it's due.

51 minutes ago, Hubwee said:

There are some here who will just complains about the G no matte r what they do . 

boss, PR qualify too. just received the letter last week.

25% better than nothing 😅😅😅

Screenshot_20200420-161425_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 1

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

Thanks. I won't hold back from criticism where I feel it's deserved, but I'll give credit where it's due.

Yes , let’s give credit when it’s due . 

• Praise 1

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Staff69 said:

boss, PR qualify too. just received the letter last week.

25% better than nothing 😅😅😅

Screenshot_20200420-161425_Chrome.jpg

Yes Boss . You are correct , PR do qualify for the co funding for the next 9 months , but not for the April CB Month . 

anyway does not make any diff to my company as I only employ SG citizens 

• Praise 4

2 hours ago, Hubwee said:

G is doing a lot relative to MY and ID. 

On top of JSS, all tenants of G owned properties are getting a few month of free rental and they are forcing private commercial properties owners to pass on the rebates, equivalent to 1 month rental. There is some discussion to legally allow tenants to defer rental for 6 months period if impacted by Covid. Don't know what is going to happen to landlords with big mortgages? 

I read the Jobs Support Scheme covers Singaporeans and also PR. 

Supercharged
8 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

G is doing a lot relative to MY and ID. 

On top of JSS, all tenants of G owned properties are getting a few month of free rental and they are forcing private commercial properties owners to pass on the rebates, equivalent to 1 month rental. There is some discussion to legally allow tenants to defer rental for 6 months period if impacted by Covid. Don't know what is going to happen to landlords with big mortgages? 

I read the Jobs Support Scheme covers Singaporeans and also PR. 

Yes , I think G has done very well with the JSS as compared to a lot of Asian countries hence I am very surprised to still see jokers complaining that our G has not done much ....

Some have so much against the G that whatever they do is wrong or not enough ...

i dun agree with a lot of what the G been doing before and during this Covid but let’s at least acknowledge the good they have done for the local workforce and local businesses during this difficult time ,

it’s always easy to comment or complain on hindsight especially sitting behind their computers ..

Edited by Hubwee
  • Praise 3

4 minutes ago, Hubwee said:

Yes , I think G has done very well with the JSS as compared to a lot of Asian countries hence I am very surprised to still see jokers complaining that our G has not done much ....

Some have so much against the G that whatever they do is wrong or not enough ...

i dun agree with a lot of what the G been doing before and during this Covid but let’s at least acknowledge the good they have done for the local workforce and local businesses during this difficult time ,

it’s always easy to comment or complain on hindsight especially sitting behind their computers ..

Totally agree.  

I think for many probably good 30% of the people who still got paid this month, are practically doing nothing at home for a month if their work can't be done at home.

↡ Advertisement