Helping the foreign workers - MCF help!

therock

Friends

I have been working social work area before this and now with the crisis, we are also focussing on the plight of the foreign workers.

They built our roads, homes and live in rather dismal conditions. These very same living conditions are part of the reason why the rates of cases are rising and I will not debate the reasons here.

More importantly, we have people on the frontlines and they notice that the workers are forced to leave their dorms almost immediately and end up leaving without their possessions. 

So we are hoping to help them in anyway we can.

Initially we have identified that they lack items like phone chargers and cables. So I'm sourcing for these. If anyone is willing to help, let me know. I have people who can send them to the Expo and other areas.

More importantly, if anyone knows a place or owns one where such items can be sold cheaply or even donated in large quantities, that will be much appreciated. 

These are for all phone types - iphones, andriod, Samsung or others.. 

(mods: if this thread isn't appropriate, my apologies and please close it)

Phones are the only way they can communicate with their loved ones.. 

Thank you

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 19

5 minutes ago, therock said:

Thanks Sir, 

Cables are the funny thing because there are so many phones...

i think mostly micro usb and type C cables sld cover a big percentage of the  android and window phones models liao...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Internal Moderator
38 minutes ago, therock said:

Friends

I have been working social work area before this and now with the crisis, we are also focussing on the plight of the foreign workers.

They built our roads, homes and live in rather dismal conditions. These very same living conditions are part of the reason why the rates of cases are rising and I will not debate the reasons here.

More importantly, we have people on the frontlines and they notice that the workers are forced to leave their dorms almost immediately and end up leaving without their possessions. 

So we are hoping to help them in anyway we can.

Initially we have identified that they lack items like phone chargers and cables. So I'm sourcing for these. If anyone is willing to help, let me know. I have people who can send them to the Expo and other areas.

More importantly, if anyone knows a place or owns one where such items can be sold cheaply or even donated in large quantities, that will be much appreciated. 

These are for all phone types - iphones, andriod, Samsung or others.. 

(mods: if this thread isn't appropriate, my apologies and please close it)

Phones are the only way they can communicate with their loved ones.. 

Thank you

I do have charger and cable to spare

• Praise 1

The logistics of collecting are a bit odd right now due to the lockdown..

Let me see how this works. 

1 - drop off at expo

2 - mail

3 - other ideas... 

The other items are actually masks, as there are so many of them.

I've just talked to some HCWs and some are wearing masks at home for more than 5 days! HCWs see so much at work that when going home, HCWs really conserve.. 

Internal Moderator
22 minutes ago, therock said:

The logistics of collecting are a bit odd right now due to the lockdown..

Let me see how this works. 

1 - drop off at expo

2 - mail

3 - other ideas... 

I stay at Ubi, everyone can pool their charger at my residence, then I get gogovan to deliver to expo. I don't think now can suka suka go to expo le. Or if there is someone staying at simei, then even better. haha.

• Praise 2

Can talk first to the person in charge of managing the expo? Skali we have consolidated all these stuff then they say "no" for some reason. All the effort goes down the drain.

• Praise 7

Internal Moderator
8 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

I can help to do contact-less pick up and drop off at consolidation point.. ^_^[laugh][laugh]

Then i just put outside my car, you go and "pick" hahah.

• Haha! 1

(edited)

Let's see how many we get first..

My troops are based in NUS so there is a way to get it there. 

We can consolidate at GT's or TM's place then rv at the venue and we pave the way in.

Thanks friends

Edited by therock

Internal Moderator

B271BE92-349E-4E56-A43F-BE96D806C5D6_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.1ca15a13dd92cae195da44c707ac9b37.jpeg

I got 7 usb chargers and 5 cables. One extremely short one. I think the FW use will angry one hahah. 

I try to dig out somemore. hahah.

• Praise 3
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

B271BE92-349E-4E56-A43F-BE96D806C5D6_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.1ca15a13dd92cae195da44c707ac9b37.jpeg

I got 7 usb chargers and 5 cables. One extremely short one. I think the FW use will angry one hahah. 

I try to dig out somemore. hahah.

I have many old ones but mostly very slow charging type, are they ok with that?

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Jman888 said:

I have many old ones but mostly very slow charging type, are they ok with that?

All ok sir, no fish prawn also can.. but the collection point is likely to be near NUS.. 

Right now you can't just walk into the expo.. anyway, I don't want anyone to take excessive risks..

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Tianmo said:

@therock Bro, what about male clothing? 

I think some of us have some ready to give away...^_^[laugh][laugh]

Yes sir, apart from used underwear, I think it's fine. 
Maybe tee shirts and pants / shorts?

But tees easy item..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1