Tread Depth

RickyWee

Once i went to do tyre swap, tire shop use tyre thread depth gauge to measure.

After that, i was send home.

Front tyre thread depth higher than rear.

My car is FWD.

just run your finger along the 2 mountains (high ridge), if you can feel the valley in between, it's time to change. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

There are many ways to check the condition of your car tires, but to measure tire tread with a penny should be the simplest and least expensive. The distance between the edge of the coin and the top of Lincoln’s head should be close to 2/32 inches. For easier inspection, you just need to check if Lincoln’s head is still visible after inserting the penny into the rib upside down.

Regardless of the tyre is at the legal limit of 1.6mm, my personal preference is to change it when it's like 3mm or so. Reason is because of aquaplaning. Aquaplaning resistance is reduced according to thread depth. 

But of course, there are others that claim that tyres with less than 1.6mm thread is still safe to drive in the wet... just drive slower lor 😆

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged

not a popular practice, i always use until the TWI form a continuous line before i change tyres 🤪

Neutral Newbie
On 1/6/2023 at 8:46 AM, Ducan07 said:

There are many ways to check the condition of your car tires, but to measure tire tread with a penny should be the simplest and least expensive. The distance between the edge of the coin and the top of Lincoln’s head should be close to 2/32 inches. For easier inspection, you just need to check if Lincoln’s head is still visible after inserting the penny into the rib upside down.

Using a penny to measure tread depth Even though a penny doesn’t have exact marks for measurement, a good reference point to estimate 2/32 inches is the top of Lincoln’s head.

↡ Advertisement