VW has enough SUV

RickyWee

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volkswagen-has-enough-suvs-now-says-rd-chief

There's little room left in Volkswagen’s line-up for more SUVs, according to the firm’s R&D boss, Frank Welsch.

The German maker has 14 SUVs in its range globally, up from two just a few years ago. Although Welsch wouldn’t go so far as to confirm there would be no more, he said the brand has ample numbers for its need.

“I don’t think [the growth in SUVs] is over, but we have enough. We do not need 10 more. We have to take care. We must have a portfolio that is efficient as a volume player.

"If we have too many models and sell 30,000 or 40,000 units a year, we can’t make money. We will focus on the cars that can be successful.”

SUVs confirmed for launch are in the electric ID family and include standard and coupé variants of the ID 4.

Welsch added that VW would cull models on its MQB platform “step by step”. Models on that architecture include the Arteon, Touran and Passat, but Welsch didn’t detail which models will go.

With the launch of new models, in particular in its ID family, and the axing of others, Welsch predicted the number of cars offered will be similar. “I don’t think we’ll have more cars than we have today. For SUVs, we are represented in every segment,” he said.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

but they do not have the confident of consumers.

can they guarantee their DSG are more robust than before?

its fair that consumer has to accept minor defects, but not to the extend of a gearbox that is commonly known to fail.

their new tiguan is very handsome. but what a waste. i cannot find confidence in buying.

look at the number of new VW vehicles on the road now.

If people are condemning CVT, look at the number of CVT vehicles we have now.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Gohsj89 said:

its fair that consumer has to accept minor defects, but not to the extend of a gearbox that is commonly known to fail.

their new tiguan is very handsome. but what a waste. i cannot find confidence in buying.

Most people that buy never heard of DSG.

After getting car then they know.

Now they are experts.

:grin:

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 5

VW Suv has failed and thy did miserably well to top the list, Im clueless cannot understand German's ideology of not accepting local climate condition w/o taking consideration their VW cars at here since 30+ years or more, how could their R&D dept not rectifying those big issues. Being one of the Top 4 German made car-maker , I cant fathom Germany simply don't care attitude in trouble-shooting the DSG, Megatronic & Manifold Valve issue and a loads of other pretty minor issues as well.

Speaking of the Manifold V, why can't thy use steel component of Allumi part instead of " Plastic " Yes its plastic which causes loads of shitty carbon built-up , taken into full specification Tiguan and Passat/ PCC high line models, almost all the same issues.

Thy ware good at sweeping problem under the carpet and let it be. . . i don't see much issue/s with Benz or BMW, even if it crops up again, the parts are affordable and most w/s can rectify Merc's models, that is why Merc do not need to hard sell their car. ( It sell by Itself. )

Audi and VW has the same issues so is Opel

• Praise 1

31 minutes ago, Meanmachine said:

VW Suv has failed and thy did miserably well to top the list, Im clueless cannot understand German's ideology of not accepting local climate condition w/o taking consideration their VW cars at here since 30+ years or more, how could their R&D dept not rectifying those big issues. Being one of the Top 4 German made car-maker , I cant fathom Germany simply don't care attitude in trouble-shooting the DSG, Megatronic & Manifold Valve issue and a loads of other pretty minor issues as well.

Speaking of the Manifold V, why can't thy use steel component of Allumi part instead of " Plastic " Yes its plastic which causes loads of shitty carbon built-up , taken into full specification Tiguan and Passat/ PCC high line models, almost all the same issues.

Thy ware good at sweeping problem under the carpet and let it be. . . i don't see much issue/s with Benz or BMW, even if it crops up again, the parts are affordable and most w/s can rectify Merc's models, that is why Merc do not need to hard sell their car. ( It sell by Itself. )

Audi and VW has the same issues so is Opel

I thought all car makers use hard plastic for the air intake manifold.

The carbon build up is from the PCV hose that recirculate or recycle the oil vapour and petrol vapour into the air intake hose. This oil vapour and petrol vapour will then accumulate on the air intake valves making them sticky. If your air filter is no good or you have an aftermarket CAI all the dirt, grim, dust, whatever will get stuck on the valves. You have to stick to the stock air filter.

Gb wise I think it's lacking an ATF cooler to suit our climate.

Edited by Watwheels

Just now, Watwheels said:

I thought all car makers use hard plastic for the air intake manifold.

The carbon build up is from the PCV hose that recirculate or recycle the oil vapour and petrol vapour into the air intake hose. This oil vapour and petrol vapour will then accumulate on the air intake valves. If your airfilter is no good or you have an aftermarket CAI all the dirt, grim, dust, whatever will get stuck on the valves. You have to stick to the stock air filter.

Gb wise I think it's lacking an ATF oil cooler to suit our climate.

Air-filters all changed, both, one in engine, one interior, 4 new spark plugs every 3/4 months, engine flushed and radiators cleaned up

To collude my sharing and feedbacks, you may check all VW used cars section for sale.

1 Passat - 1 page 

2 Tiguan -1 page

3  Scirocco- 3 pages

4 Golf - 4 pages

Fyi - I have owned many models of VW Passat, Passat CC, VW Tiguan, Driven my friend's Golf too

On 4/23/2020 at 1:58 PM, Meanmachine said:

To collude my sharing and feedbacks, you may check all VW used cars section for sale.

1 Passat - 1 page 

2 Tiguan -1 page

3  Scirocco- 3 pages

4 Golf - 4 pages

Fyi - I have owned many models of VW Passat, Passat CC, VW Tiguan, Driven my friend's Golf too

why so many Roc & Golf on sale ? 

GB all up lorry?

why on the roads so few ROC ?

On 4/23/2020 at 12:45 PM, Gohsj89 said:

CVTs are condemned because they drive like shit. As for dsg, that's a very old issue. 

dsg dsg.....and dsg

Wait till you use the wet type, then one will realize how slow the conventional torque converter is. And it's robust too.

• Praise 2

21 hours ago, andrewyewkc said:

VW has Cayenne and Macan too. Are the Porsches more reliable than the main VW brands?

Not really. All of them same chassis, engine and drivetrain, basically u buy the diff badge and design

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

dsg dsg.....and dsg

Wait till you use the wet type, then one will realize how slow the conventional torque converter is. And it's robust too.

Yah wet dsg will make u wet. 

wet dsg are more lasting and designed to hold bigger power car. Those dry 7 speed dsg are designed to hold less than 2L engine

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, TeamAMG69 said:

why so many Roc & Golf on sale ? 

GB all up lorry?

why on the roads so few ROC ?

Roc and Golf are mostly driven by a certain group - 20s to 30s who haven't learned patience when driving. They get into accidents. After a few times, their car shows up on the used car pages

• Praise 1

On 4/23/2020 at 12:45 PM, Gohsj89 said:

In the early 2010s people didn't know what is DSG. Now go youtube there are thousands of videos teaching you dos and don'ts when driving DSG vehicles. Don't always blame the tool, try upgrading the hand that uses the tool, too. 

46 minutes ago, Ganwb79 said:

In the early 2010s people didn't know what is DSG. Now go youtube there are thousands of videos teaching you dos and don'ts when driving DSG vehicles. Don't always blame the tool, try upgrading the hand that uses the tool, too. 

why buy a car that u must "learn" to do / dont with a DSG GB

make your life so difficult

just buy other car model , that u can really enjoy the car 

and not worry about the GB 

u go see Honda, Toyota , Merc GC - where got talk so much about GB issues

Edited by TeamAMG69
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1