2021 Toyota Yaris Cross Hybrid

Carbon82

15 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

Harrier is for certain group of people. I believe for the rest of majority, a Yaris ranged offering is more realistic. 

Without Minimum volume, unlikely TMAP can sell the idea to TMC.

Harrier comes in thanks to combined volume of Sg and Msia.

We will get Corolla Cross instead

↡ Advertisement

17 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Without Minimum volume, unlikely TMAP can sell the idea to TMC.

Harrier comes in thanks to combined volume of Sg and Msia.

We will get Corolla Cross instead

Yes Corolla Cross hybrid is coming. This is why BM has stopped selling the CHR from Japan. They are clearing the final units now. 

Too many crossovers from the TNGA platform la... gosh

Just now, Cheefarn said:

Yes Corolla Cross hybrid is coming. This is why BM has stopped selling the CHR from Japan. They are clearing the final units now. 

Boh pian!
Customer want crossover 

3 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

Isn't that what crossovers are about? Esp the lower end ones? They are nothing more than standard hatchbacks with jacked up suspension and bigger wheels.

See GLA, Polo Cross among others

Lazy or not, Toyota sells by the badge. This is why POS eg Avanza can still sell in this part of the world despite its prehistoric chassis and drivetrain 

This was lazily designed, that's my beef with it. The Yaris Cross for EU/JPN markets look different enough from the hatchback. 

I mean running on the same platform and drivetrain to its equivalent sedan/hatch variant is what everyone is doing, but at least give it a distinctively different look? GLA does look different from A class sedan/hatchback. 

Avanza is at least unpretentious for what it is. An basic small 7 seater for point A to B on a ladder frame chassis and good ground clearance for poorer road conditions found in SEA. It does has it merits. Got to agree Toyota does milk it's badge for all its worth within the South East Asian markets. 😆

3 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Avanza is at least unpretentious for what it is. An basic small 7 seater for point A to B on a ladder frame chassis and good ground clearance for poorer road conditions found in SEA. It does has it merits. Got to agree Toyota does milk it's badge for all its worth within the South East Asian markets. 😆

Other Japanese manufacturers has similar vehicles in that segment.

2 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

But CHR is still better than POS malibu "someone" is driving with the dated Epsilon 2 chassis & unsellable in Sgcarmart used car until "someone" gave up.😂

Edited by Sugimoto
  • Haha! 1

Neutral Newbie

Indeed  i am looking for a hybrid car to replace my present car. These are my research to share. Most  of the Honda and korean  hybrid, use DCT gear box, which heard some reliability issue if care is not enough. But DCT gearbox is powerful which high horsepower . Toyota mostly use eCVT which are more reliable but less powerful.Below are the choice, Toyota CHR hybrid SUV,  but back seat look weird with high window. The new Toyota corolla hybrid, review from oversea is good but prefer a SUV type. 
So this new Yaris cross hybrid will be a good choice. But not sure how long will need to wait. Even it come to Singapore, i believe it will be sell by PI. BM, always carry Thailand model 

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, mikk123 said:

If you driver in SG, a CVT is good enough. Maximum limit is 90 on the express way and on normal road, traffic light every 500 meters, what is the use of having a powerful engine? To me, reliability is more important than power. 

If it is indeed a good car, PI will confirm bring in. Hopeful BN bosses will be smart enough to bring the JP mode and learnt something from the vezel/hrv. Remember KM first bought Thai mode and no one buys, PI vezel was selling like hot cakes. Then later KM wake up and also bring in HRV that is made in Japan. It was too late already, PI has take bulk of the share. Imaging KM bought MIJ mode from the start, they would be a few million richer....

There are more specific drivers who do not like the rubber band effect of a CVT. But for a normal driver, i think they cannot feel or "understand" the transmission. So yah, CVT is good enough for Singapore road actually.

• Praise 1

On 8/26/2020 at 9:38 AM, kobayashiGT said:

There are more specific drivers who do not like the rubber band effect of a CVT. But for a normal driver, i think they cannot feel or "understand" the transmission. So yah, CVT is good enough for Singapore road actually.

Think old CVT would feel the rubber band effect, but the current CVT in most car now doesnt feel much?

• Praise 1

On 8/26/2020 at 9:38 AM, kobayashiGT said:

My cvt when step hard and ram up it do give a shift of gear feel similar like auto.

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Kopites said:

My cvt when step hard and ram up it do give a shift of gear feel similar like auto.

not all programs in this manner. 

but it does help to minimize rubber band feeling. And not all believe of this until one experienced it himself. Otherwise the rubber band effect hear say will still rooted in one mind.

After closely watching this, I realised the interior is really a Yaris - small and compact. Outside looks big, but inside seems so small. The rear passenger leg space is BAD. Even the Vios is more spacious than this. 

Model and Variant available in Japan (and possibility via PIs)

Hybrid / Petrol X 1.5L 2WD / E-Four (Entry level)

carlineup_yariscross_grade_equipment_gra

carlineup_yariscross_grade_equipment_int

Hybrid / Petrol G 1.5L 2WD / E-Four (Mid level)

Hybrid / Petrol Z 1.5L 2WD / E-Four (Top of line)

Quick Specifications

• External Dimensions: 4,180mm (L) x 1,765mm (W) x 1,590mm (H) x 2,560mm (Wheelbase)
  • Internal Dimensions: 1,845mm (L) x 1,430mm (W) x 1,205mm (H) x 170mm (Ground Clearance)
  • Engine Type: M15A-FKS 1,496cc Inline 3 (petrol) / M15A-FXE 1,490cc Inline 3 (hybrid)
  • Horsepower (engine): 120ps @6,600rpm (petrol) / 91ps @5,500rpm (hybrid)
  • Torque (engine): 145Nm @4,800 - 5,200rpm (petrol) / 120Nms @3,800 - 4,800rpm (hybrid)
  • Horsepower (motor): 80ps
  • Torque (motor): 141Nm
  • Praise 8

The electronic cluster does not look gimmicky as compared to some German makes.

To have an idea of its internal side:

CH-R

Internal Dimensions: 1,800mm (L) x 1,455mm (W) x 1,210mm (H) x 140mm (Ground Clearance)

RAV4

Internal Dimensions: 1,890mm (L) x 1,515mm (W) x 1,230mm (H) x 195mm (Ground Clearance)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1