salary during manpower reduction

Ysc3

Twincharged

pls do not judge ... i am just asking  what your employers are/would be doing as i do not want mine to get into trouble also.

in the last Q&A, MTI and MOM said they will be telling some essential services providers(ESP) to further reduce active head count even though they are ESP.

let's say your coy has 100 staff and are told to reduce active head count by 50%, what are the criteria that you would use to decide which staff goes home for the time being ?

and do you still continue to pay those who are told to stop work ? would it be unfair to those who have to continue going  to work at the workplace.

we are 3PL - meaning we provide manpower who does physical work .... not possible to WFH ... eg, how to deliver goods if WFH ?

I uderstand that the govt has the wgae support program to help defray the cost of salary for the coy. But again, will the working staff feel its unfair if their colleagues are paid to SAH ?

I doubt we will be allowed to "rotate" who works and who SAH ?

I don't need to know what is morally right but need to know what is legally right.

* i am still waiting to see if we receive the reduction instruction from MTI.

Edited by Ysc3
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Quick reply to this. If 3PL and main cohort (I.e. 80%) is operators or LA, then those in office (20%) can WFH.

Now, operational ground staff doing the daily operations - I’m not sure if MTI will or has cut down to 15% for your company. I believe not yet, so you can now plan for rotational shifts depending on how heavy your operations is still running. There will be submission of names daily for those allowed to continue working on and off premise (Drivers...etc). 

If MTI hasn’t given instruction to reduce workforce by now, I doubt they will.

If company decides to utilise JSS, then it should be across board, meaning 100% and not just some. Everyone can continue to contribute be it system, office or ground staff.

Edited by Naimed
Added JSS
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
2 hours ago, Naimed said:

Quick reply to this. If 3PL and main cohort (I.e. 80%) is operators or LA, then those in office (20%) can WFH.

Now, operational ground staff doing the daily operations - I’m not sure if MTI will or has cut down to 15% for your company. I believe not yet, so you can now plan for rotational shifts depending ... There will be submission of names daily for those allowed to continue working on and off premise (Drivers...etc). 

If MTI hasn’t given instruction to reduce workforce by now, I doubt they will.

Means at 50% mpo,  I can roster 50% of my workforce to show up on alternate days? If like this,  think my staff will still be able to accept it as fair since everyone gets to SAH or come in. 

8 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Means at 50% mpo,  I can roster 50% of my workforce to show up on alternate days? If like this,  think my staff will still be able to accept it as fair since everyone gets to SAH or come in. 

Of course, that's the best recourse.

If people complain, plenty of people out there willing to take up the job :=B:

Twincharged
3 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

Of course, that's the best recourse.

If people complain, plenty of people out there willing to take up the job :=B:

It's like that one... Everyone would want to come in to work as long as they are paid,  but everyone would also prefer to SAH if they are also still being paid. So if can rotate,  will be the best solution. 

• Praise 4

2 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

pls do not judge ... i am just asking  what your employers are/would be doing as i do not want mine to get into trouble also.

in the last Q&A, MTI and MOM said they will be telling some essential services providers(ESP) to further reduce active head count even though they are ESP.

let's say your coy has 100 staff and are told to reduce active head count by 50%, what are the criteria that you would use to decide which staff goes home for the time being ?

and do you still continue to pay those who are told to stop work ? would it be unfair to those who have to continue going  to work at the workplace.

we are 3PL - meaning we provide manpower who does physical work .... not possible to WFH ... eg, how to deliver goods if WFH ?

I uderstand that the govt has the wgae support program to help defray the cost of salary for the coy. But again, will the working staff feel its unfair if their colleagues are paid to SAH ?

I doubt we will be allowed to "rotate" who works and who SAH ?

I don't need to know what is morally right but need to know what is legally right.

* i am still waiting to see if we receive the reduction instruction from MTI.

Why can't you rotate? Rotation is the basis for team splits, and is not only permitted, but encouraged. Even the most essential services, i.e. Healthcare institutions, here have been doing this from even before the CB, shortly after scaling to ORANGE. 

Basically it's simple:

Staff who can do their work from home with near-100 percent efficiency: WFH. You shouldn't be penalising them in any way. 

Any other staff: rotating shifts, covering all essential functions. Number of teams depends on how lean (or not) your organisation is. Most lean workplaces can only manage 2 teams. Make sure teams are kept separate. They always work together, masks on and practising social distancing where feasible. Avoid meal time (lunch/tea) gatherings. This is very difficult to achieve in practice because a lot of people are highly social so police them... albeit gently. 

Anyone die-die super essential and no alternative who needs to work on site 100 percent should be rewarded with a nice bonus or at least a great appraisal after this. And look into ensuring redundacy, if you have this situation, your BCP is on rocky ground. No one should be indispensable, because of the bus factor. 

• Praise 2

Twincharged
5 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Why can't you rotate? Rotation is the basis for team splits, and is not only permitted, but encouraged. Even the most essential services, i.e. Healthcare institutions, here have been doing this from even before the CB, shortly after scaling to ORANGE.

We don't really have a choice. 

I am in 3PL ... So basically we don't have much say in our daily ops. My client is only interested in fulfilling their obligations to their customers. 

I have only so much mpo and surprisingly,  my client managed to snag lots of ESP customers and so work goes on almost as usual for us during this period. 

By splitting and reducing my mpo by half, of course, we can still complete our tasks... But we will not be able to meet the quota and timelines. But again,  that is not my client's concern also. 

So with the govt pushing it down, it will help us to be able to tell the client of reduced productivity. 

Twincharged
5 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

3PL as in Third Party Logistic?

Yes... We are the truckers and warehouse handlers.

My client 95% WFH...  Including all management. 

My coy,  boss already say,  if kenah reduction,  all hod must come back as first line of defence!! 😂  

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

My coy,  boss already say,  if kenah reduction,  all hod must come back as first line of defence!! 😂  

This is the time when all need to cooperate.. saying is easy.. even my side asked to clear Annual Leave all come out with many pattern.. they only want to clear when CB over!

alot of employees think for themselves only.. no see big picture.. self centered.. they forget if companies die it is very hard to secure another job let alone a decent pay job..

The bloomed of an industry bring its own problems..

• Praise 3

24 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Clarify with MTI on quota available for your company.   Only staff registered with MTI is allowed to work (based on my understanding).

Twincharged
59 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Clarify with MTI on quota available for your company.   Only staff registered with MTI is allowed to work (based on my understanding).

We already submitted our first submission to them and got approval to work. 

So now we are waiting to see if we get any notification from them to reduce active head count.

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Ody_2004 said:

This is the time when all need to cooperate.. saying is easy.. even my side asked to clear Annual Leave all come out with many pattern.. they only want to clear when CB over!

alot of employees think for themselves only.. no see big picture.. self centered.. they forget if companies die it is very hard to secure another job let alone a decent pay job..

The bloomed of an industry bring its own problems..

You are the objective type ... Same as me ... But others might not think the same especially when they have lesser to go around. 

It's going to be hard for me to make the decision also if the time comes. 

• Praise 3

6 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

You are the objective type ... Same as me ... But others might not think the same especially when they have lesser to go around. 

It's going to be hard for me to make the decision also if the time comes. 

Yeah, these days hard to find staff that is honest.

When I used to be the only honest chap around, nobody wants to be friend with me cos I not like them :grin:

14 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

We already submitted our first submission to them and got approval to work. 

So now we are waiting to see if we get any notification from them to reduce active head count.

No news means good news.

Be prepared for further reduction in headcount.  Very likely short turnaround time.

• Haha! 1

Supercharged

Another method which I am using now for staffs which needs to be physically present is to provide additional incentives. Not much, things like makan, I had to moved 2 drivers to fill up these positions also, they responsible at least fetching 2 guys to work. each lorry fetch 1 more pax nia, cant be 2 as social distancing fails.

Also, I drive 2 more guys to work also as also becoz of social distancing.

The driver also get to go out buy makan for us, plus also detour to get 4 packs of catered lunches n dinners for the workers now SHN in dorms, as its also now responsibility for employers to get them fed and at the same time at least give a little emotional support for them.

Also consider those who work hard during this period, reward them later too, withing your companys means also as honestly, theres still rental to be paid and as bosses, we dun qualify for the JSS thingy.

Lastly as bosses, take the lead to cut your own pay, director fees. It goes a long way, cut 2k, 3k also song, your staff see liao, appreciate also. One way to motivate your team when things get back to normality later hopefully.

This period of time, also you shall notice who r the loyal bunch, the self sacrificing ones, those siam ones. etc. As a boss, open your eyes and evaluate.

As for customers, f**k them actually if they still think you can produce 100percent effort or on time when you are now 50percent or 75percent handicapped liao.

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Currently MTI has been requesting many of the essential services to reduce manpower to a certain percentage. How they execute this is to request the companies to submit the names of those chosen to continue working, those names not given should not be at company premises or at work outside at all. 

Hence the rotation part is abit tricky. MOM wants solution that can be measured immediately as it is more troublesome and time consuming to "audit" companies on whether they follow the rotation strictly and keep manpower to the restricted percentage. 

Edited by GLZT

1 minute ago, GLZT said:

Currently MTI has been requesting many of the essential services to reduce manpower to a certain percentage. How they execute this is to request the companies to submit the names of those chosen to continue working, those names not given should not be at company premises at all. 

Hence the rotation part is abit tricky. MOM wants solution that can be measured immediately as it is more troublesome and time consuming to "audit" companies on whether they follow the rotation strictly and keep manpower to the restricted percentage. 

Thanks for clarifying. 

Looks like many of our Ministries have very stupid one-size-fits-all policies.

↡ Advertisement