COVID-19 IV: SG Circuit Breaker EXTENDED TILL 1ST JUNE: 451 New Cases, 1 SG/PR (19 May)

Raubern

Message added by kobayashiGT

Hypersonic
17 minutes ago, Giordanogavin said:

Thats true! i dont even bother to use the reusable mask so uncomfortable and unfitting.

Rather use own bought surgical mask which are available in the market.

Yes. I also using those disposable mask easily available nowadays. Much easier to breathe.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic
3 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Yes. I also using those disposable mask easily available nowadays. Much easier to breathe.

Just buy disposable better.

Now price from SS already constantly at $18.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

oh dear god , please let covid and CB stop.

it's really affecting my favourite group of professionals

they are getting rounder by the day🤣🤣🤣FB_IMG_1588825619741.jpg.d49b107d48d8ecebc09b62abc2e00be2.jpg

• Haha! 4

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

Many ethnic Chinese feel exactly the same way, so don't make sweeping statements.

I provide broom for you. For mop you need to look up fiend friend of my.

To be fair, among the traditional "medicine" from various ethnic groups, I believe TCM has the most documentation and published in peered reviewed medical journals. eg Yunzhi (Coriolus versicolor) and Journal of Traditional Chinese Medical Sciences (Elsevier).

The fact that various traditional "medicine" is available in Singapore, speaks of the multi-cultural make up of our society.

Unfortunately, till today nobody has provided me with an explanation why Thaipusam had been cut short and needed to add silencer to drums BUT we close roads to celebrate St Patrick's Day, etc. Even our Kumar is blur like sotong.

The world is unfair, fair being dependent on which side of the fence one is sitting on. Let me elaborate an example: I thought CB was only to authorized persons from my colleagues. But basket, one fellow pull rank and put me on CB. Like that you think fair or not. Lucky for him because I accepted the fiend friend may be going through post menopausal withdrawal.

I like to offer you two favourite local dishes but my fiend friend don't allow me. 

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Ash2017 said:

I provide broom for you. For mop you need to look up fiend friend of my.

To be fair, among the traditional "medicine" from various ethnic groups, I believe TCM has the most documentation and published in peered reviewed medical journals. eg Yunzhi (Coriolus versicolor) and Journal of Traditional Chinese Medical Sciences (Elsevier).

The fact that various traditional "medicine" is available in Singapore, speaks of the multi-cultural make up of our society.

Unfortunately, till today nobody has provided me with an explanation why Thaipusam had been cut short and needed to add silencer to drums BUT we close roads to celebrate St Patrick's Day, etc. Even our Kumar is blur like sotong.

The world is unfair, fair being dependent on which side of the fence one is sitting on. Let me elaborate an example: I thought CB was only to authorized persons from my colleagues. But basket, one fellow pull rank and put me on CB. Like that you think fair or not. Lucky for him because I accepted the fiend friend may be going through post menopausal withdrawal.

I like to offer you two favourite local dishes but my fiend friend don't allow me. 

Got Ayurveda journal published by Elsevier also. 

https://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-ayurveda-and-integrative-medicine

So "to be fair", that means nothing in favour of TCM's legitimacy vis a vis other traditional "medicine".

In my view, the main reason TCM has the place it does in sg is because of the ethnic makeup.

To be clear I am not favouring one form of alternative "medicine" over another. I believe in modern Medicine (as I said, I don't believe in qualifying it as Western medicine as I consider that redundant) because it is rooted in the scientific method and not mainly in received wisdom. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Sad to say but this virus won't go away until a vaccine is developed. Now we just hope it can be contained in Singapore with good border control. The light at the other end of the tunnel is super far away meanwhile. 

It's bad but still not as bad as WW2 that our grandparents faced...

• Praise 3

(edited)
2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

How to advocate the necessity to wear mask

When our mask kenna wipe out

Ah, the age old question that if we don't have enough masks, it's better to tell the public it's safe for the healthy not to have masks on. Proven to be the wrong strategy as the govt U-turned 180 degree. 

If surgical masks aren't available, at least the advocacy to don even cloth masks might mitigate the numbers if implemented during the earlier stages (Feb). Just an example, remember how many weeks the general population were exposed to the risks while taking public transport, when almost everyone was unmasked then. It was only until much later (beginning of Apr), when govt issued cloth masks when we start to implement mandatory mask wearing out in the public. 

DMS Kenneth Mak's initial public response to the contrary advisory issued by the 4 doctors to wear masks was dismissive. The official belief then was that it's infectious only thru droplets, not airborne. This is contrary to what HK, Taiwan, SK and China are already doing during Feb, that is they recognised the importance of masks. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/medical-chief-rebuts-doctors-mask-advice

As to why we didn't prevent our masks from being wiped out or out of stock, there's so many factors. We didn't prevent masks from being exported out by private individuals in large quantities during the early stages. We didn't realize the importance of keeping a local production line here in SG since the last line was dismantled 10 yrs ago, and would rather depend on the efficacy of a business contract we had with a Taiwanese vendor to serve us in times of need. 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged
3 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

That might well be true also.

One of the most important point Gan has mentioned was that in many of TCM's practices, close body contact is necessary (Gua Sha, Tui Na, Cupping etc.). The exception is acupunture which they allowed for pain treatment purpose. In this regard, he said that the task force consider it very risky to allow TCM to resume 100% of their usual services.

Having said that, Gan mentioned there is a heated debate among the task force to decide which businesses are allowed to resume, while keeping potential of infections low being the top of their priority. The thing is not all TCM retail stores are allowed to re-open, only those with registered TCM practitioners are allowed to, even if permitted service is just to sell medicine to the public. Pharmacies are opened to the public during the period, but TCM retail stores without a registered practitioner aren't allowed. 

After watching the video again, I think he is being careful in his answer. Probably making a conscious effort not to indirectly say or insinuate that the task force cannot fully trust traditional Chinese, Malay or Indian practices :D

Exe sumali.. touch pen is near n possible so better not la

2 hours ago, Wt_know said:

people should not has a false sense of calm and safe that covid is not deadly and you are young and strong ...

once tio covid ... is there “permanent” damage done to your body?

6AB6E85E-DAD5-445E-A364-3978182502AB.jpeg

Most will recover completely. 

A small percentage (about 5%) of those infected will require ICU care and they may have respiratory issues (lowered pulmonary function) and bone necrosis after recovery, based on what was observed with long term health management of SARS survivors. 

Supersonic
14 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Just saw 2 grab bikers chit chatting at Caltex Jelita. Masks off, social "distancing" of less than 30cm on average lol.

Any surprise about our community numbers? And these are the chaps delivering food to those who order at this time (I don't, I don't think it's completely safe).

And...another elderly Chinese (almost certainly Sinkie) taxi driver came to talk to his kaki, masks off, shouting "hoy towkay" across the lot. 

Damn it. 

I see postmen carrying pillions on their Malaysian bikes after they report off duty everyday. It is body contact rather than safe distancing.

• Praise 1

16 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Ah, the age old question that if we don't have enough masks, it's better to tell the public it's safe for the healthy not to have masks on. Proven to be the wrong strategy as the govt U-turned 180 degree. 

If surgical masks aren't available, at least the advocacy to don even cloth masks might mitigate the numbers if implemented during the earlier stages (Feb). Just an example, remember how many weeks the general population were exposed to the risks while taking public transport, when almost everyone was unmasked then. It was only until much later (beginning of Apr), when govt issued cloth masks when we start to implement mandatory mask wearing out in the public. 

DMS Kenneth Mak's initial public response to the contrary advisory issued by the 4 doctors to wear masks was dismissive. The official belief then was that it's infectious only thru droplets, not airborne. This is contrary to what HK, Taiwan, SK and China are already doing during Feb, that is they recognised the importance of masks. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/medical-chief-rebuts-doctors-mask-advice

As to why we didn't prevent our masks from being wiped out or out of stock, there's so many factors. We didn't prevent masks from being exported out by private individuals in large quantities during the early stages. We didn't realize the importance of keeping a local production line here in SG since the last line was dismantled 10 yrs ago, and would rather depend on the efficacy of a business contract we had with a Taiwanese vendor to serve us in times of need. 

Since there is only 4 doctors that says it is important to wear mask, DMS would definitely brush it off.
If the letter was signed by thousand(s) of doctor, DMS definitely can’t dismiss easily. The problem is how many doctors are willing to sign this letter?
Taiwan was net importer of surgical mask. Are you sure we depending on Taiwan?
HK & Taiwan has been advocating wear mask since Jan. That’s why serious shortage in both market.

23 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

The observation that our G did not stop exports of masks via private individuals or commercial entities in Early Jan and Mid Jan is spot on. 

To be honest it's a hindsight is 20/20 thing, but why there was a run on masks by End Jan was simply because most of what was available to the public had already been snapped up for export or local hoarding before CNY. 

As for the lessons learnt from SARS.

Especially Amoy Gardens in HK which is a textbook case study of how easily viral aerosols can be spread through the air from unit to unit via the plumbing system. 

HK, China and Taiwan paid for those lessons in blood and did not forget. 

• Praise 3

4 hours ago, Tonyng said:

Too much groupthink.

when a group of experts is always agreeing readily with each other - you know that something is wrong- 

either subject matter is so simple you don't need an expert or groupthink - no minority report. 

this is why the no-need-mask ball drop is so big and egregious. (Actually there was a minority report haha)

And leaves one to wonder - which is the next big ball drop? 

The don't wear mask issue is becos of bad planning and preparation, pride, and refusal to admit own mistakrs/shortcomings. Not becos experts say so. Experts eating from ah kong's rice bowl are just toeing the line. 

• Praise 3

2nd Gear
19 hours ago, Windwaver said:

https://www.zaobao.com.sg/znews/others/story20200506-1051201

研究冠病病毒快有大突破 狮城获博士学位美华裔学者遭谋杀

来自 / 新明日报

发布 / 2020年5月6日 3:14 PM

Singaporean murdered!

liubing.jpg?itok=DLpgcfS3

(华盛顿讯)美国匹兹堡大学医学院37岁学者刘彬(Bing Liu,译音),上周末在匹兹堡自家遭人谋杀,凶手随后也畏罪自戕,但行凶动机暂时未知。刘彬任职的部门发表悼念文称,刘彬生前致力于冠病病毒研究且即将有重大突破,未料却突然遇害丧命。据知,刘彬早年于新加坡国立大学获得电脑科学学士与博士学位。

根据当地电视台报道,美国宾州匹兹堡市郊罗斯镇2日发生枪击命案,刘彬在自家被人发现时已经明显死亡,其头部、颈部和身体躯干皆有枪伤。调查人员认为现场应是一起凶杀案。

警方事后在附近发现另一名男子死于车内,死因疑似为射击头部自杀。警方表示,调查显示两名死者互相认识,相信凶手先杀害刘彬后,再返回自己的车内轻生,但具体情况和犯案动机仍在调查中。

刘彬生前在匹兹堡大学医学院担任助理教授。他所任职的部门在网站上写道,刘彬在研究冠病的感染机制和并发症方面,即将有重大突破,“我们努力完成他未竟之研究,以向他的科学成就致敬,全体科学界都将为他的离开而哀悼。”

根据刘彬在校内网站的自我介绍,他早年于新加坡国立大学获得电脑科学学士与博士学位,之后曾于卡内基梅隆大学从事博士后研究,现为匹兹堡大学医学院计算与系统生物学系研究助理教授。

not many locals have 2 syllable name

Supersonic
(edited)
14 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

Gan thought that he can finally relax and sit through this parliament session, but didn't expect bee wah to throw this curve ball for him to answer :D

Which he didn't address or answer directly as well...

In fact at first he did not answer. LBW pressed on, asking the speaker that her earlier questions in Mandarin were not answered by the Mini star, should she ask again in England! Then GKY bopian ll any how answered. 答非所问

Edited by Fitvip
amended
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Let's pray it stop at 25,000 .... 🙏

So that life can get back to normal ASAP  [grouphug]

300,000 FW in dorms and more outside. 

Up to 2,500 FW tested each day with 500-1000 positive results, that is at least 20-30% infection rate, it means 20% x 300k = 60k. Easy peasy.

Coronavirus: Up to 3,000 tests for Covid-19 done daily in S'pore, most on foreign workers 
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/coronavirus-up-to-3000-tests-for-covid-19-done-daily-in-spore-most-on-foreign?xtor=CS3-18&utm_source=STiPhone&utm_medium=share&utm_term=2020-05-07 13%3A05%3A06

• Praise 4
  • Sad 1

Supersonic
5 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Proper enforcement is non-existence here.

Rem PMD?

They are back...

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1