Would you visit a Dentist during COVID 19 Pandemic?

noobcarbuyer

Would you visit a Dentist during COVID 19 Pandemic?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you visit a Dentist during the COVID-19 Pandemic?

• Yes. Why not? I still want to look good and get my teeth cleaned or braces fitted.
    • No, will avoid. I will only go if i'm in pain or require emergency dental treatment.
    • No, I will absolutely not go see a Dentist during this pandemic.

On 5/6/2020 at 2:10 AM, callistacherrie123 said:

I think it is bad idea when u go to see dentist at this time... 

http://english.astroawani.com/malaysia-news/how-safe-are-we-dental-clinics-during-covid-19-pandemic-242349

Dental procedures involve high aerosol formation from motorised dental instruments, for example, during scaling and filling procedures. The aerosol is also contaminated with saliva and blood from patients prior to its diffusion into the surrounding air.

Dental treatment is usually confined in a small room and takes relatively long sessions. As a result, aerosols produced during dental procedures persist within that limited space and would contaminate dental treatment equipment.

The standard protective measures in daily clinical work are not effective enough to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2 virus, especially when the dental patients have no symptoms of COVID-19, are unaware if they are infected, or choose to conceal their infection.

↡ Advertisement

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/some-medical-procedures-allowed-resume-soon-strict-measures-dental-procedures-stay

Some medical procedures allowed to resume soon, but strict measures on dental treatments to stay

SITUATION UNCHANGED FOR MOST DENTAL PATIENTS

A 40-year-old dentist in the private practice who spoke on the condition of anonymity said that even with the easing of some restrictions, the situation remains largely unchanged for patients who require dental care.

Only essential and emergency procedures will be allowed as they are now. And it is only in the second phase of the easing of restrictions that dental procedures with minimal aerosol use can be done. 

Many dental procedures involve the use of aerosols, the dentist said.

She also said that when they administer temporary stop-gap treatments for patients, they had designed them with the assumption that patients can return for a permanent fix after June 1.

“Now those patients will be left hanging because there is nothing more that we can do for them.

“I can foresee that more money and more drastic treatments will be needed down the road… It’s disappointing because the people who suffer are our patients.”

Dr Raymond Ang, chief operating officer of Q&M Dental Group, which runs more than 70 clinics in Singapore, also noted that procedures such as wisdom tooth operations and the fixing of dental crowns are still prohibited.

Previously, TODAY reported that some dentists have appealed to the authorities to ease some of the strict regulations imposed on dental clinics here, which has left patients coping with pain and unable to receive the treatments they need.

The latest announcement from the authorities will mean that patients who have been patiently waiting for the circuit breaker to end will be disappointed that they will have to postpone their appointments yet again, Dr Ang said.

One such patient who was disappointed to hear that he will not be able to cure a toothache that he has had for close to a month is Mr Tay.

The 32-year-old, who declined to give his full name, had visited a dentist in late April. He has a cavity that needs to be refilled but was informed by the dentist that he can only get a temporary filling due to the restrictions placed on dental practitioners. He did not take up the offer.

Mr Tay was looking forward to his next visit and had already made an appointment for June.

He said: “If I cannot get it fixed by then, I will just bear with it some more. I don’t think there is a point in getting a temporary filling because the dentist explained that I would have to get it removed to put in the permanent one.”

Hypersonic
26 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Still cannot go for cleaning and scaling after CB is lifted?! 

No. I think at least after July or later. 

• Praise 1

(edited)
34 minutes ago, 13177 said:

By right during Phase ONE cannot do any dental procedures except for the most emergency or essential cases, exactly the same as during CB period. 

Screenshot_20200521-092710_Drive.thumb.jpg.ebf348af26030e10b91e6a96d64f27e8.jpg

In Phase TWO not sure but the article said only dental procedures with minimal aerosol use can be done. Doesn't most dental procedures involve aerosols?

Edited by noobcarbuyer
  • Praise 1

29 minutes ago, 13177 said:

It look like scaling and other aesthetic type procedures definitely cannot until further notice. 

Perhaps MOH might allow more dental procedures to be done in Phase TWO. But for now, based on the article, even Phase TWO is just whatever was allowed in CB plus some additional procedures that don't have much aerosol production. 

• Praise 1

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/delay-routine-dental-checkups-who-urges-covid-19-risk-13011622

Delay routine dental checkups, WHO urges, until COVID-19 risk is known

GENEVA: Dental patients and staff need to be protected from any potential infection by aerosol-generating procedures, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday (Aug 11), as dentists return to work in areas where the COVID-19 pandemic is easing.

There is currently no data on the spread of coronavirus from the dentist's chair, it said, calling for more research into common procedures that produce tiny floating particles that may cause infection if inhaled.

These include three-way air/water spray, ultrasonic cleaning equipment that removes deposits from the tooth surface, and polishing, the WHO said in new guidance.

"WHO guidance recommends in case of community transmission to give priority to urgent or emergency oral cases, to avoid or minimise procedures that may generate aerosol, prioritise a set of clinical interventions that are performed using an instrument and of course to delay routine non-essential oral health care," Benoit Varenne, a WHO dental officer, told a news briefing.

He added: "The likelihood of COVID-19 being transmitted through aerosol, micro-particles or airborne particles ... today I think is unknown, it's open to question at least. This means that more research is needed."

The WHO last month released general guidelines on the transmission of the coronavirus which acknowledged some reports of airborne transmission, but stopped short of confirming that the virus spreads through the air.

Dental facilities must have adequate ventilation to reduce the risk of the virus spreading in closed settings, it said on Tuesday.

"We think that the most pressing issue is related to the availability of essential personal protective equipment, PPE, for all health care personnel undertaking or assisting in the clinical procedures," Varenne said.

• Praise 1

@noobcarbuyer Now that the pandemic has died down, it's more acceptable to go back to how it was before- getting consultations included. I do know a number of people who are still reluctant to go out often. That's why it's great that there's a number of online emergency dental consultation sites. I've availed the services of one before and it worked great!

Yes because I found a way to have dental consultations without leaving my house. I learned that Teledentistry offers virtual consultation so you can avoid the emergency room and be in contact with different people. You can visit their website to know the services they provide.

↡ Advertisement