Question About Hybrid Cars

Hi all,

For hybrid cars, may i check does it has to be constantly drive and charge up? if the car is seldom drive for example OPC does the hybrid battery last?

Anyone can advise on this?

↡ Advertisement

Sorry just realized typo on the title. It should be cars. Not cards. Can mod help to change? 

Thanks.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)
54 minutes ago, StreamRSZ said:

Hi all,

For hybrid cars, may i check does it has to be constantly drive and charge up? if the car is seldom drive for example OPC does the hybrid battery last?

I dont own a hybrid car so take this with a pinch of salt cos answer is from google.  Best to drive once in a while.

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7692/~/do-i-have-to-take-special-steps-to-protect-the-battery-of-my-hybrid-vehicle-if

Its toyota car but I assume Honda hybrid are the same.  I assume u drive a Honda cos of your nick....

Edited by Philipkee

54 minutes ago, StreamRSZ said:

Hi all,

The reason to buy Hybrid is the same as buy Diesel.

Low mileage OPC might as well buy MYVI or Attrage.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

It depends on what hybrid car you are buying. There is mild hybrid and Atkinson cycle and many more. 

Generally, today batteries technology is lithium Ion, And to best protect and preserve the battery lifespan, you have to constantly charge it and not wait until the whole batteries is discharged and then charged. 

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-tips-for-extending-lithium-ion-battery-life/

Can read more here.

And I agree with @inlinesix suggestion, if you are getting a OPC car that is running lesser KM than average cars, then the best bang for bucks is puny car like attrage and myvi. I will prefer the myvi. For value-wise.

Cheers!

• Praise 2

(edited)

thanks for the info and advise. so the key word is to drive once in a while.

how about hybrid car battery drain can it be jump start like normal petrol car? or it need to be tow to workshop?

Edited by StreamRSZ

Turbocharged
24 minutes ago, StreamRSZ said:

how about hybrid car battery drain can it be jump start like normal petrol car? or it need to be tow to workshop?

I am not sure about other models, but my TOYOTA has a separate starter battery like in other non-hybrid cars.

Maybe TOYOTA technology is inferior to HONDA.

Just now, Toeknee_33 said:

I am not sure about other models, but my TOYOTA has a separate starter battery like in other non-hybrid cars.

Maybe TOYOTA technology is inferior to HONDA.

care to elaborate more? why inferior over honda?

30 minutes ago, StreamRSZ said:

Hybrid car is more ex than petrol car.  What's the point of buying it to drive once in a while?

• Praise 4

Turbocharged
4 minutes ago, StreamRSZ said:

care to elaborate more? why inferior over honda?

Nothing. Just to feed your ego and make you feel better.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Hybrid car is more ex than petrol car.  What's the point of buying it to drive once in a while?

i am not saying i would buy one. As this question come to my mind i thought i want to ask it here since nobody ask before.

Turbocharged
2 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Yup, such an oxymoronic idea. Buy a hybrid as OPC, and force yourself to take it out in a while, just to keep the battery alive. 

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Nothing. Just to feed your ego and make you feel better.

sorry i dont know what ego you talking about? and also the screenshot that you have attached. Yes CHR is still crap to me. 

Twincharged
38 minutes ago, StreamRSZ said:

From google.

https://itstillruns.com/jumpstart-hybrid-car-6056800.html

But caveat emptor.   I never tried this before or seen it being done before.  If the car catches fire....

5 minutes ago, StreamRSZ said:

i am not saying i would buy one. As this question come to my mind i thought i want to ask it here since nobody ask before.

I would suggest to buy PHEV if you stay in landed property.

It can sit in the driveway all the time.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

I would suggest to buy PHEV if you stay in landed property.

It can sit in the driveway all the time.

I always thought buying EV for private house is better cos u can charge the car every night after you return home (assuming it's easy to build a charging point) as opposed to looking for public chargers to charge your car.

Just now, Philipkee said:

I always thought buying EV for private house is better cos u can charge the car every night after you return home (assuming it's easy to build a charging point) as opposed to looking for public chargers to charge your car.

It is not difficult to built.  It is willingness to pay.

I suggest PHEV as the battery is so small that it could use ordinary AC power to charge.

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

It is not difficult to built.  It is willingness to pay.

I suggest PHEV as the battery is so small that it could use ordinary AC power to charge.

pml said 8 hours [drivingcar]:a-toast:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1