[Spyshots] 2021 6th Generation Jaguar XJ

Carbon82

Just as we are having a lengthy discussions about the old XJ in the unusual car thread, an all new model is on the horizon, scheduled to be launched before turn of the year, and here are some spy shots & info for those interested.

2021-jaguar-xj-spy-shots--photo-credits-

1jagxj.jpg?itok=oZ3foV9B

jag-promo.jpg

Jaguar's XJ flagship sedan bowed out at the end of 2019 but a successor based on a new platform and offering battery-electric power has been spotted testing for the first time.

The new XJ sticks to the coupe-like format of its predecessor but modernizes it with fresh details. The daytime running lights of the headlights look similar to the design used in the new Land Rover Defender, while we know the taillight graphic will be similar to the design used on the latest Jaguar XE. Jaguar dropped a teaser for the new XJ during the 2019 Frankfurt International Motor Show. It revealed that the taillight will likely span the full width of the rear, too.

Underpinning the car is Jaguar Land Rover's new Modular Longitudinal Architecture (MLA) platform. This is actually be the first application of the platform which will eventually underpin almost every model in the Jaguar Land Rover portfolio.

The platform supports mild-hybrid, plug-in hybrid and battery-electric powertrains. In the case of the XJ, the car is expected to arrive with electric power only but later offered with hybrid options. Expect battery capacity to meet or exceed the 90-kilowatt-hour rating of Jaguar's I-Pace.

The new XJ will be built at the same Castle Bromwich plant in the United Kingdom where the previous XJ ceased production last July. In the time since, the plant has undergone a transformation to turn it into an EV hub for Jaguar Land Rover; it will also be the automaker's main source for batteries and electric motors.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

Jaguar XJ suppose to be long and sleek like the animal itself but this shape looks far from it. 

The XJ has been the main model with the Jaguar shape for as long as I can remember n unlike most cars who become long in the tooth after few years, this classic Jaguar shape never went out of vogue. 

Hope I'm wrong and Jaguar continues to keep the XJ shape as it's a classic. They can tweak the lights and bits here and there but the main shape has to be a Jaguar! 

• Praise 8

4 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

This gen XJ like buff up quite a fair bit.

Buff up or not, I still prefer the sleek looking predecessor (1st to 4th generation). 

3 hours ago, Spring said:

Jaguar XJ suppose to be long and sleek like the animal itself but this shape looks far from it. 

The XJ has been the main model with the Jaguar shape for as long as I can remember n unlike most cars who become long in the tooth after few years, this classic Jaguar shape never went out of vogue. 

Hope I'm wrong and Jaguar continues to keep the XJ shape as it's a classic. They can tweak the lights and bits here and there but the main shape has to be a Jaguar! 

The newer XJs has lost it "tail" and sleekness along the way, especially the current generation, and sadly the trend is here to stay...

jaguar_xj6_3.jpg

jaguar_xj6_86.jpg

jaguar_xj6_91_00b9000010070b20.jpg

autowp.ru_jaguar_xj8_lwb_4.jpg

jaguar_xj_l_autobiography_17_011200000e3

2 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Made in UK,India or China.?

It will be built at Castle Bromwich plant in the United Kingdom.

2 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Looks like a 5 door which is more practical than a 4 door with a very small trunk lid. 

5 door or liftback configuration is practical for sure, but I still prefer a traditional 4 door setup for such a large size flagship model.

• Praise 11

The side profile says it all. 1st gen to 4th.

The present(which i like also)and future jag model, can be a genesis or something. No hint that its a jag.

• Praise 2

Twincharged
(edited)
9 hours ago, Hamburger said:

The side profile says it all. 1st gen to 4th.

The present(which i like also)and future jag model, can be a genesis or something. No hint that its a jag.

The XE / XJ handling was not too bad n was slightly ahead of the 3series 5series.

the downside, however, is the wear n tear n build quality sucks. NHV was like never considered.

Let’s hope this time around, the product is more “craftsman’s “ like. 

after all, like Honda without vtec, its like another proton in the making, just better build.

Lexus that cannot allow you to plead non-negligence due to noise suppression when you knock down a person. Cannot be label as perfection, for perfectionist.

.BMW without being the ultimate driving machine. People will still buy, the lower end model but it’s because it’s the cheapest one they can get their hands on.

jag would have an identity crisis if it cannot have a value proposition for the new model.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged
16 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Looks like a 5 door which is more practical than a 4 door with a very small trunk lid. 

The boot shutline seems to suggest it will remain as a 4-door sedan.

The bonnet shutline swoops down to the grille, leaving the headlamp cluster to sit apart on the front wing, something like what Hyundai did on the DN8 Sonata. The is also a small window in the C-pillar hidden by the camouflage.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)
3 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

The XE / XJ handling was not too bad n was slightly ahead of the 3series 5series.

the downside, however, is the wear n tear n build quality sucks. NHV was like never considered.

Let’s hope this time around, the product is more “craftsman’s “ like. 

after all, like Honda without vtec, its like another proton in the making, just better build.

Lexus that cannot allow you to plead non-negligence due to noise suppression when you knock down a person. Cannot be label as perfection, for perfectionist.

.BMW without being the ultimate driving machine. People will still buy, the lower end model but it’s because it’s the cheapest one they can get their hands on.

jag would have an identity crisis if it cannot have a value proposition for the new model.

don't get your hopes up too high.

I'm biased but nothing mechanical that is mass produced in the uk is worthy. the Brits just cannot mass produce anything of decent quality.

similar situation with expensive dyson. https://www.consumerreports.org/stick-vacuums/dyson-stick-vacuums-lose-cr-recommendation-over-reliability-issues/

Edited by Mkl22

21 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

I'm biased but nothing mechanical that is mass produced in the uk is worthy. the Brits just cannot mass produce anything of decent quality.

similar situation with expensive dyson. https://www.consumerreports.org/stick-vacuums/dyson-stick-vacuums-lose-cr-recommendation-over-reliability-issues/

Jag is an Indian car made in UK.

Dyson is Brit vacuum made in Malaysia (and Singapore for the motor)!

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

41 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Jag is an Indian car made in UK.

Actually in this age, make in where is not important anymore. as alot of parts are make else where.

more accurate should be assemble in where. 

for example my friend order his orginal landrover brake pad , its make in india. another 1 brought a VW orginal parts make in china. 

• Praise 1

Twincharged
9 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Actually in this age, make in where is not important anymore. as alot of parts are make else where.

for example my friend order his orginal landrover brake pad , its make in india. another 1 brought a VW orginal parts make in china. 

yeah lor, like hyundai, who would have thought that the parts made in china until the covid19 case highlighted the supply chain.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

image.thumb.png.609aa2a1f2a2d70c514ad06712f69493.png

image.thumb.png.be543301920a421c130d7a1c110340bd.pnglooks like time out after 2 mins.

Perhaps need to have the mod address the forum with some safe distancing post 🙄

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

46 minutes ago, Beregond said:

BMW/Mini parts i bought still Made in Germany

Twincharged
3 hours ago, inlinesix said:

BMW/Mini parts i bought still Made in Germany

Merc w203 parts can be rather cheap if u get from India 

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

The Marks and Spenser's Jam biscuits are quite good though 😃

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Koster said:

The Marks and Spenser's Jam biscuits are quite good though 😃

Food, non mechanical. 🤪. I like the rich tea biscuits too. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1