[Reminiscence] from Yishun Dam to Jalan Kayu, through old Seletar

Scion

Turbocharged

anyone used this route before (Yishun Dam -> Seletar -> Jalan Kayu)?

i try to use Google Street View but they backdated to 2009 only (when Google Street View started?)

the original roads at Seletar were gone as the area became developed in recent years...

i remember those roads were like some country-like roads before, something like long single carriageway with nothing by the sides except large flat patches of grasses... 

anyone remember or got the old photos? 😬

these are the Google photos dated 2009

1.thumb.jpg.c8ff8f58ef2bebe6248d785c51eb4803.jpg2.thumb.jpg.eb6b698009ed3f39946cafcbe4c3fb7c.jpg3.thumb.jpg.8b1459355b17143104acd7e105c83f68.jpg4.thumb.jpg.fd07a6b25a6366e0da91f103256bd21c.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

Turbocharged

i used to like to drive this route when going from Yishun to Sengkang/Punggol as it was very serene and peaceful at night...

10 minutes ago, Scion said:

i try to use Google Street View but they backdated to 2009 only (when Google Street View started?)

the original roads at Seletar were gone as the area became developed in recent years...

i remember those roads were like some country-like roads before, something like long single carriageway with nothing by the sides except large flat patches of grasses... 

1.thumb.jpg.c8ff8f58ef2bebe6248d785c51eb4803.jpg2.thumb.jpg.eb6b698009ed3f39946cafcbe4c3fb7c.jpg3.thumb.jpg.8b1459355b17143104acd7e105c83f68.jpg4.thumb.jpg.fd07a6b25a6366e0da91f103256bd21c.jpg

It's completely different now. Lots of construction, worker's dorms and new BTO flats. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
45 minutes ago, Scion said:

Lol I went once or twice to Pak tor with my wife at the dam. 

This is very long ago lah. When I dated my wife in 2008 already constructing Liao. More or less completed in 2018.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Scion said:

These are the old roads before developing. It lead to Seletar Country Club which is opposite of Orchard Country Club.

Now it cuts through Seletar Aerospace Park. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Loll i found a 2007 clip!

3:30 to 4:30

yep, that was the "country" road (and the roundabout... i almost forgot about that) i'm talking about

ahh memories

• Praise 4

I did my NS at Seletar East Camp in the late 1970s. I am no in my 60s. I have very fond memories of that rustic and big place. During that time, the ang mos were packing up and left the base to the SG govt. I have my share of stories from Seletar East camp too. Especially at the wet gap and swimming pool at Battersea Road. 

To get to the dam in the 70s from Jalan Kayu. First enter past the iconic guard house. Turn left in to West Camp Road. Follow the sweeping road with curves past the southern end of the runway. Go past the hangars of the aerospace companies and reach what is today known as the Seletar Club Road, but it was narrower then. I would picnic by what was then the banks of Seletar reservoir. But always on the lookout for crocodiles as it was well known that the reservoir had crocodiles then.

The small road led to across the dam which was not more carefree. The road was wide and the police did not come by often. It was a hot dating spot and fave late night activity was to park along the dam and look at the stars. Those needing more privacy for activities will head to the car park at Nee Soon side of the dam. 

Illegal racing also took place along this stretch. On race nights, no one will park along the dam.      

• Praise 14

Internal Moderator

woah. this one very long long time ago. hahah

I will scare when I drive alone at night.

Here and the old tampines road.

Now only old tampines road. hahahaha

I also scared when had to do prowler while doing guard duty at Seletar East Camp. Go to those remote building lit with a single incandescent bulb that threw long shadows. Sometimes the bulb blow and I had to prowl with partner using torchlight. Then the torchlight battery also went flat. Quickly finish the round.   

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged
39 minutes ago, serenade said:

I did my NS at Seletar East Camp in the late 1970s. I am no in my 60s. I have very fond memories of that rustic and big place. During that time, the ang mos were packing up and left the base to the SG govt. I have my share of stories from Seletar East camp too. Especially at the wet gap and swimming pool at Battersea Road. 

To get to the dam in the 70s from Jalan Kayu. First enter past the iconic guard house. Turn left in to West Camp Road. Follow the sweeping road with curves past the southern end of the runway. Go past the hangars of the aerospace companies and reach what is today known as the Seletar Club Road, but it was narrower then. I would picnic by what was then the banks of Seletar reservoir. But always on the lookout for crocodiles as it was well known that the reservoir had crocodiles then.

The small road led to across the dam which was not more carefree. The road was wide and the police did not come by often. It was a hot dating spot and fave late night activity was to park along the dam and look at the stars. Those needing more privacy for activities will head to the car park at Nee Soon side of the dam. 

Illegal racing also took place along this stretch. On race nights, no one will park along the dam.      

wow, thanks for sharing

as for the last sentence, i guess that was why they later installed the big humps along the Yishun dam road

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

haha.. more than 10 years ago, many car clubs always gathered along Yishun dam road... 

could see a line of same model of cars, different colours, some modified until quite nice

I have been going there every week to run my r/c boats and watched the changes of this Seletar Club Road changed over the years.

• Praise 4

Supersonic
2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Never been to old tampines road, so where is this road lead to?

I only know the yishun dam area, many people will go there for gathering , fishing and pak tor. 

3 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

drove down old tamines road on a night drive recently, as I was driving and listening to my spotify, heard some faint laughter in the background while the music was playing, paused the song and it was dead silent, continued playing and heard the laughter again, decided to ignore, once I went onto TPE, no more, strange hahaha, but then again, I always kena all these so normal la

• Shocked 2
  • Haha! 4

Turbocharged

As recent as the  late 1990s, there were no shrubs on the circled area on the right. You could drive and park on the grass to enjoy the reservoir view at night. 

image.png.b0be3a6f5b5d22b38c2fc6c92ad8bad2.pngIN the 

↡ Advertisement