Jurong West Hawker Centre Closing

RickyWee

Few reason/s for the failure, despite Hawker management tried to revived it, 

1/ No Multi storey car park, motorist has  to walk, small level one c/p only.

2/ Hawker centre serviced by lift access, limited centre and a wet-markets,same 2nd level ( 1/3 size ) Unlike the Pasir-Ris opposite White Sand

3/ Insufficient foods choices, don't see Hokkein Noodles, NO CKY and Nasi Padang. 2 chinese stores hawking Nasi Lemak food and Lontong.

4/ Limited Varieties of choices, payment of 0.50cts returned tray policy / Failed

5/ No Marketing Promotion , only a small banner hung outside the elevator entry access.

6/ Kopi-Tiam style on ground floor would be ideal with main Anchor tenant and subsidiary with indian, malay and various chinese dialect foods / western foods

7/ One look from outside do not pull one in JWHFC, most youngster preferred Air-con with alfresco dining outdoor

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supersonic
8 minutes ago, khosasi said:

still got another hawker near there right ?

I dont think there is another hc nearby.

3 hours ago, khosasi said:

still got another hawker near there right ?

Nearest is Pioneer Mall,  Gek Poh SC & Sheng Siong Supermarket side, Opposite JW Police HQ division

(edited)

Nearest real hawker centre is Boon Lay Hawker Centre which is at least half an hour bus journey for most residents. There, got powderful nasi lemak, thunder tea, zhi char, chinese nasi lemak 2 stalls, HK roast pork, fish soup, satay, cheekon wings......

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 3

Supersonic
26 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

Nearest real hawker centre is Boon Lay Hawker Centre which is at least half an hour bus journey for most residents. There, got powderful nasi lemak, thunder tea, zhi char, chinese nasi lemak 2 stalls, HK roast pork, fish soup, satay, cheekon wings......

Jurong west area many hc, there are boon lay hc, taman jurong hc and blk 505 hc. Not sure if there is a hc at blk 493 that area? Then in jurong east area, there are another two hc.

Supersonic
(edited)

there is a food center at jurong west street 40+ or 50+, my impression is that place is perpetually long queue  for almost everything and it is so difficult to find seats. I was there a few times but never get to eat there because of the crowd.  Not sure if it is still the same.   But my point is there will still be people going to FC. 

Edited by Ct3833

Supersonic
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

there is a food center at jurong west street 40+ or 50+, my impression is that place is perpetually long queue  for almost everything and it is so difficult to find seats. I was there a few times but never get to eat there because of the crowd.  Not sure if it is still the same.   But my point is there will still be people going to FC. 

You must be referring to blk 505 hc at jurong west st 52? This market and hc very crowded. Or jurong central plaza at jurong west st 41?

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
6 hours ago, Meanmachine said:

Few reason/s for the failure, despite Hawker management tried to revived it, 

1/ No Multi storey car park, motorist has  to walk, small level one c/p only.

2/ Hawker centre serviced by lift access, limited centre and a wet-markets,same 2nd level ( 1/3 size ) Unlike the Pasir-Ris opposite White Sand

3/ Insufficient foods choices, don't see Hokkein Noodles, NO CKY and Nasi Padang. 2 chinese stores hawking Nasi Lemak food and Lontong.

4/ Limited Varieties of choices, payment of 0.50cts returned tray policy / Failed

5/ No Marketing Promotion , only a small banner hung outside the elevator entry access.

6/ Kopi-Tiam style on ground floor would be ideal with main Anchor tenant and subsidiary with indian, malay and various chinese dialect foods / western foods

7/ One look from outside do not pull one in JWHFC, most youngster preferred Air-con with alfresco dining outdoor

actually it's a trend all those new ones got no business, Yishun, Pasir Ris most of the time are empty. People still prefer old traditional hawker. 

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
7 hours ago, Kangadrool said:

For wet markets (raw foods), typically will be more ex than SS/FP or even Giant/CS due to scale/negotiation power. Sometimes, the buy in price for small time hawkers will be higher than selling price at supermarkets. 

For cooked foods, old hawker centres generally will still be cheaper and tastier than airconditioned food courts and NEW hawker centres like JW.

I saw so many times, hawkers at SS pushing trolleys load full of frozen chickens, veg, sausages. I went up and asked, they always tell me come SS ownself buy cheaper than getting from market...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Some history. Jurong west consists of 2 areas. Older one and newer one. Newer one in the 90s was called Jurong west extension or nam tai (南大) due to proximity to NTU. This hawker centre is newly built and is in the newer jur west. One of the 4 markets that recently require NRIC odd/even control due to crowds is in the older jurong west.

My parents currently live in that area. I myself also lived there for 20 years from 1991 before I got married so I am very familiar with that area. Before that we were living in boon lay opposite boon lay shopping/market/hawker. (I have superb memory of things in boon lay and generally jurong west/east/taman area growing up there in the 80s if anyone wanna chat)

That hawker centre and market fail simply becos very few stalls and almost none are good. My mum says only 1 stall selling fish is decent. She usually go to the st 9x area for marketing which is around 2-3 bus stops further. The Pioneer mall (which was built earlier) just besides offer better stuffs with a koufu foodcourt, giant and macdonalds. The nearest proper hawker centre is boon lay but it is not a competitor as it is very far away.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
12 hours ago, Silver_blade said:

A lot of people prefer supermarket to wet market and foodcourt to hawker centre.

I always prefer hawker center and coffeeshop. Never a food court person.

• Praise 2

7 minutes ago, Tohto said:

I always prefer hawker center and coffeeshop. Never a food court person.

I also prefer HC or coffeeshop but the younger ones prefer food court and fast food. IT doesn't help that a lot of good hawkers have retired and what have in some hawker centre and coffeeshop are lower standard food with a lot of MSG to compensate for the lack of flavour from the ingredient and marination. 

• Praise 1

26 minutes ago, Columbian78 said:

Some history. Jurong west consists of 2 areas. Older one and newer one. Newer one in the 90s was called Jurong west extension or nam tai (南大) due to proximity to NTU. This hawker centre is newly built and is in the newer jur west. One of the 4 markets that recently require NRIC odd/even control due to crowds is in the older jurong west.

My parents currently live in that area. I myself also lived there for 20 years from 1991 before I got married so I am very familiar with that area. Before that we were living in boon lay opposite boon lay shopping/market/hawker. (I have superb memory of things in boon lay and generally jurong west/east/taman area growing up there in the 80s if anyone wanna chat)

That hawker centre and market fail simply becos very few stalls and almost none are good. My mum says only 1 stall selling fish is decent. She usually go to the st 9x area for marketing which is around 2-3 bus stops further. The Pioneer mall (which was built earlier) just besides offer better stuffs with a koufu foodcourt, giant and macdonalds. The nearest proper hawker centre is boon lay but it is not a competitor as it is very far away.

I like to go to St 52 526 coffeeshop for the BBQ seafood and Bowen's western food ! Always super crowded with alot of ppl drinking beer, me included 🤣

The taman jurong mkt and food centre is good too! 

When I was younger, used to go to Jurong stadium, sad that they finally demolished it

• Praise 3

48 minutes ago, SiLangKia said:

I like to go to St 52 526 coffeeshop for the BBQ seafood and Bowen's western food ! Always super crowded with alot of ppl drinking beer, me included 🤣

When I was younger, used to go to Jurong stadium, sad that they finally demolished it

Seems like we were from same area. My parents were supplying veg to that bbq seafood stall at blk 526 more than 10 years ago. We used to dabao their bbq fish, stingray and prawns and banana leaf fried rice which were very nice. But its been at least 10 years ago.

I am not that familiar with the current taman jurong mkt and food centre but more of the predecessor number 1 and number 2 markets in the 80s/90s before they were cleared. And the famous 60 stall of cos. We were selling veg in number 2 market until it was cleared in 1991, after which we moved to Jurong east 347.

Familiar with jurong stadium and the swimming pool as well. I first learnt swimming pool there and I was fr jurong sec so we often had sports activities at the stadium. I think many years ago there was a driving school there.

• Praise 3

34 minutes ago, Columbian78 said:

Seems like we were from same area. My parents were supplying veg to that bbq seafood stall at blk 526 more than 10 years ago. We used to dabao their bbq fish, stingray and prawns and banana leaf fried rice which were very nice. But its been at least 10 years ago.

I am not that familiar with the current taman jurong mkt and food centre but more of the predecessor number 1 and number 2 markets in the 80s/90s before they were cleared. And the famous 60 stall of cos. We were selling veg in number 2 market until it was cleared in 1991, after which we moved to Jurong east 347.

Familiar with jurong stadium and the swimming pool as well. I first learnt swimming pool there and I was fr jurong sec so we often had sports activities at the stadium. I think many years ago there was a driving school there.

Unfortunately I don't have the privilege of staying in Jurong but I'm in the west so I do visit it pretty often, and I went to JJC so spent alot of time in Jurong west hahaha. The 526 BBQ stall has maintained therir standard I guess, as the BBQ seafood and fried rice is still really good. The stall owners told us they aren't allowed to sell veggies as the anchor tenant (the tze char stall doesn't allow it anymore)

Interesting to know that your family used to sell veg in Jurong!

Yeah I heard of the mobile driving schools set up in the stadium carpark and recently there was an article on the history of Jurong stadium, here it is, enjoy! :

https://remembersingapore.org/2020/03/22/jurong-stadium-demolition/

• Praise 2

Supersonic
10 hours ago, 13177 said:

You must be referring to blk 505 hc at jurong west st 52? This market and hc very crowded. Or jurong central plaza at jurong west st 41?

I look at Googlemap,  should be blk 505cst 52. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
8 hours ago, SiLangKia said:

526 before they not allowed to put tables outside, we used to sit under that big tree every time we go there makan. 

Have not been there for quite a while liao, because always pack, food must wait very long... <_<

But hor, KNN at your age you know Jurong stadium meh? It was like  dead for more than 20 years liao...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
7 hours ago, SiLangKia said:

Unfortunately I don't have the privilege of staying in Jurong but I'm in the west so I do visit it pretty often, and I went to JJC so spent alot of time in Jurong west hahaha. The 526 BBQ stall has maintained therir standard I guess, as the BBQ seafood and fried rice is still really good. The stall owners told us they aren't allowed to sell veggies as the anchor tenant (the tze char stall doesn't allow it anymore)

Interesting to know that your family used to sell veg in Jurong!

Yeah I heard of the mobile driving schools set up in the stadium carpark and recently there was an article on the history of Jurong stadium, here it is, enjoy! :

https://remembersingapore.org/2020/03/22/jurong-stadium-demolition/

you from JJ nor, no wonder half a Jurong Kid

I think one old man here also last time JJ kid...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement