3D printing a toy catapult during covid-19 CCB

carloverguy2017

I thought of making a toy for my kids to play for cheap fun and came up with making a catapult with wood. 

But most of the shops are closed during this Covid-19 CCB period. I could had bought wood cheaply from Daiso. 

Unfortunately they're in CCB mode. No puns intended. Hahaha !
So I designed a catapult while looking at some 3D prints sample.

However they all looked so complicated with multiple structures although they looked much better than what I designed.
Consisting of 4 basic component, it was easy to print and design and the only difficult part was to get the dimension right on the dove-tail joints that connects the 2 stand-offs.

With some fiddling of the rubberband, I eventually succeed in making a catapult capable of inflicting serious damage and death to my kid's lego friend.
Hope you guys enjoy it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
(edited)
8 hours ago, carloverguy2017 said:

I thought of making a toy for my kids to play for cheap fun and came up with making a catapult with wood. 

But most of the shops are closed during this Covid-19 CCB period. I could had bought wood cheaply from Daiso. 

However they all looked so complicated with multiple structures although they looked much better than what I designed.
Consisting of 4 basic component, it was easy to print and design and the only difficult part was to get the dimension right on the dove-tail joints that connects the 2 stand-offs.

With some fiddling of the rubberband, I eventually succeed in making a catapult capable of inflicting serious damage and death to my kid's lego friend.
Hope you guys enjoy it.

Sorry to correct you. But the correct term is trebuchet. A catapult is the Y shape with a rubber band across the arms of the Y. A catapult is illegal in the eyes of SPF. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 3

gun can print.. except you no bullet.. and need the firing pin and mechanism that isn't going to withstand the shock and backfire.
Maybe can fire one rough, then the plastic gun also explode in your hand at the same time. hahaha

Twincharged
7 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Sorry to correct you. But the correct term is trebuchet. A catapult is the Y shape with a rubber band across the arms of the Y. A catapult is illegal in the eyes of SPF. 

sorry i stand corrected. it is catapult.

image.png.3a38fb078d8912d5c6955276a8c0df88.png

image.png

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 5/7/2020 at 12:20 AM, carloverguy2017 said:

Hope you guys enjoy it.

You are the second person I know that have a 3D printer at home.

3D printers are not expensive anymore. $2k or or less. In fact, many Uni students already have it at home. 

It's the material that is a running cost. And not v cheap. 

• Praise 1

17 hours ago, Jusnel said:

3D printers are not expensive anymore. $2k or or less. In fact, many Uni students already have it at home. 

True that but what makes one buy a 3D printer for personal use I wonder.

9 hours ago, Discoburg said:

True that but what makes one buy a 3D printer for personal use I wonder.

Personal Hobby. 

Students also need to create and design prototypes for school projects

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Jusnel said:

Personal Hobby. 

Students also need to create and design prototypes for school projects

What hobby requires a 3D printer?

These students parents are rich. Never know that students need a 3D printer for school work. 

3D printer just like normal printer....cheap to buy but running cost high($ for 2-3 ink cartridge enough to buy new printer LOL).

(except Metal 3D printer which is expensive & running cost also high)

• Shocked 1

Don’t have one but the herd at home think that I do and constantly take my money out of my wallet...

how I wish I’m Leonardo...

574A765F-1476-47B6-AD0B-D910B3F9D5E9.gif

A46FC778-F880-40CD-8F03-0D7EFD208FF8.jpeg

• Haha! 2

7 hours ago, Discoburg said:

What hobby requires a 3D printer?

These students parents are rich. Never know that students need a 3D printer for school work. 

No need to be rich.

Ppl can spend $2k for a school laptop.  What is a 3D printer? Some cost $500 or less.

• Shocked 1

On 5/11/2020 at 9:23 PM, Jusnel said:

My 3D printer cost me just $80.
But this deal is gone long. 
Legit price in Singapore.

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1