#SG20K anyone? "Celebrate 20,000 days of S'pore's independence while at home" - ST

noobcarbuyer

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/celebrate-20000-days-of-spores-independence-while-at-home

Celebrate 20,000 days of S'pore's independence while at home - ST

"To commemorate 20,000 days since Singapore's independence on May 12 and to encourage people to stay home, Geylang Serai Community Club has launched a #SG20K initiative, the People's Association (PA) said on its Facebook page last Friday.

The initiative encourages people to take a photo of themselves in red or white with the Singapore flag and upload the photo to their Instagram account with the #SG20K hashtag."

↡ Advertisement

Had to check if I was reading a spoof article. 

Can't believe this is an actual article in the national broadsheet. 

Elections must be within spitting distance liao. 

2 hours ago, noobcarbuyer said:

Had to check if I was reading a spoof article. 

Can't believe this is an actual article in the national broadsheet. 

Elections must be within spitting distance liao. 

It is a proud moment for Singapore and we really need something to celebrate in current circumstances.

What has it to do with elections?

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

It is a proud moment for Singapore and we really need something to celebrate in current circumstances.

do you want to celebrate the 1000 months milestone too? how about the 3000 weeks milestone? I think the 3000 week milestone might be soon.

What happen to the 10000 day celebration?????? oh no!!! I missed that, must be a huge celebration in Singapore. 

(edited)
47 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

do you want to celebrate the 1000 months milestone too? how about the 3000 weeks milestone? I think the 3000 week milestone might be soon.

What happen to the 10000 day celebration?????? oh no!!! I missed that, must be a huge celebration in Singapore. 

Is there any organization proposing to celebrate 1000 months?  The proposal by PA is to celebrate 20000 days and I'm sure they have done their homework and seen that this is good for the nation as a whole.

Don't need to put up strawmen about 1000 months until it happens. Might as well ask why celebrate 50 years or 100 years? Does the number of times the earth revolve around the sun mean anything in the grand scheme of things? It is just whatever we want to make out of it and today we shall celebrate 20000 days.

Edited by ToyotaShuttle
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

What's next? 0.5 mil hours or 30 mil minutes since 9th August 1965? Oh wait that is another 2 years away... 

I can only think of people counting event by days are 头七 to 七七, or some young couples celebrating first 100 / 1,000 days together. 

Not condemning the idea and nothing political for sure but normally we count by the no. year for major event, such as bicentennial, and so I don't buy the idea of this 20,000 days celebration. 

• Praise 9

Turbocharged

How many anniversary bounces PAP wanna have... the more they do it the more meaningless "anniversary" becomes

• Praise 1

Ridiculous.

first the silly comic book heroes and now this??

come on, we are frustrated enough and livelihoods are tested.

Unless really meaningful, dont waste peoples time and effort lah

• Praise 6

(edited)

Pls cancel National Day parade while they're at it. Spend the $$$ elsewhere. 

Everyone can mari-kita at home instead. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 2

Supersonic
(edited)
On 5/7/2020 at 12:18 PM, ToyotaShuttle said:

As others have said it's arbitrary bulls**t even more so than the usual milestones revolving around our base-10 digit preference bias applied to the period of the earth's circumsolar revolutions, which at least have the saving grace of being customarily accepted. 

The PA is a blatantly political organisation, no matter how they try to paint themselves, and that makes people suspicious of their motives. I share this cynicism.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

On 5/7/2020 at 12:18 PM, ToyotaShuttle said:

I think this and other similar events eg. clap for HCW, singing 'Home', etc are good to lift the spirit of those who are feeling stress (cos of lack of income, etc), fear (of losing job or catch the virus), lonely, etc. It gives them something to look forward to and being silly for that one moment.

Internal Moderator
38 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

Pls cancel National Day parade while they're at it. Spend the $$$ elsewhere. 

Everyone can mari-kita at home instead. 

National day still ongoing? 😐

Turbocharged
36 minutes ago, Silver_blade said:

I think this and other similar events eg. clap for HCW, singing 'Home', etc are good to lift the spirit of those who are feeling stress (cos of lack of income, etc), fear (of losing job or catch the virus), lonely, etc. It gives them something to look forward to and being silly for that one moment.

By "those who are feeling stress fear lonely etc" do u mean politicians?? 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Silver_blade said:

Screenshot_20200508_190029.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3