15 least reliable cars

No surprises for the British cars and those complicated Germans. Surprised no French, no Italian. Maybe their repairs are frequent but cheap.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Based on feedback from my family, friends and colleagues. This could be the unofficial top 10 most unreliable brands in SG. Feel free to disagree.

10. Subaru
9. Volvo
8. Mitsubishi 
7. Citroen
6. Mercedes Benz
5. Renault
4. Audi
3. Mini
2. VW
1. BMW

Disclaimer: not bashing brands, tiagong only. Dun sue me.

Edited by Pocus
Typo
  • Praise 7
  • Haha! 1

Most common are electrical issues, engine problems and gb issues.

It's no surprise when it comes to electrical issues. Most are luxury cars, cramped full of gadgets and features. The 12V system cannot cope with so many components running at the same time. With so many integrated functions cramped into the headunit it becomes a common problem. So many screens now instead of analog dials and buttons. If your 12V battery is weak it will also damage these delicate stuff.

Engine and gb issues are uniquely German makers complicated design.

• Praise 2

7 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

It's no surprise when it comes to electrical issues. Most are luxury cars, cramped full of gadgets and features. The 12V system cannot cope with so many components running at the same time. With so many integrated functions cramped into the headunit it becomes a common problem. So many screens now instead of analog dials and buttons. If your 12V battery is weak it will also damage these delicate stuff.

I agree with you that electrical issues is highly likely because of gadgets and features, but not because of the 12V system per se. Battery very easy to upgrade to bigger one to handle the added power draw.

I believe it's more of a software/coding issue. Too many lines of code to integrate everything to work together. i feel that that's a more complicated issue that can cause these stuff 

• Praise 2

20 minutes ago, Pocus said:

Based on feedback from my family, friends and colleagues. This could be the unofficial top 10 most unreliable brands in SG. Feel free to disagree.

10. Subaru
9. Volvo
8. Mitsubishi 
7. Citroen
6. Mercedes Benz
5. Renault
4. Audi
3. Mini
2. VW
1. BMW

Wa, your family and friends all drive great brands.. seem never own any bnb cars.. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

19 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Most common are electrical issues, engine problems and gb issues.

Engine and gb issues are uniquely German makers complicated design.

what theory is that 12V cannot cope?

23 minutes ago, Pocus said:

10. Subaru
9. Volvo
8. Mitsubishi 
7. Citroen
6. Mercedes Benz
5. Renault
4. Audi
3. Mini
2. VW
1. BMW

My Mini broke down once when i was working in Beijing.

Other than, it is reliable.

(edited)
1 minute ago, Contipro said:

what theory is that 12V cannot cope?

Demand higher than supply.  It may resulted in more heat in wiring loom.

That's why Taycan uses 800v rather than 400v electrical system.

Edited by inlinesix

Turbocharged
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Contipro said:

Wa, your family and friends all drive great brands.. seem never own any bnb cars.. 

Nope you are wrong. Those who own those common bnb brand din complain much to land in the top 10.

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
3 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

My Mini broke down once when i was working in Beijing.

Other than, it is reliable.

My colleague complain his mini cooper s for 1 year. In and out WS. In the end he sold within 1 year and now happy with his A class.

My dad colleague mini also complain issues, which lead me to believe a 2 out of 2 failure rate(excluding yours) from my friends feedback.

Twincharged

SgCarMart should tie up with some New Car Owners some Long Term Test,only those interested then apply for the Job will ge a small fee,like some U.K. Owners did for a Car Motoring Magazine,the test inc FC,Agent's Attitude,Car Problems,Cost of Servicing & Breakdown....

• Praise 4

(edited)

Their CX5 most likely is a diesel. Only in Europe the diesel engine is popular for the past decade. When Matt say engine issue most likely is the diesel. It could be the same for the German cars he mentioned. The turbo diesel packs more tech than the petrol engines so the failure risks are higher.

It could be due to their climate. Mostly wet and cold. Diesel engine dont like the cold. It works best in our type of climate.

The mild hybrid system in present luxury cars is to supplement or boost the 12V system. So it's evident the things installed in the average luxury car is too many that it needs an additional system to support it.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Pocus said:

My colleague complain his mini cooper s for 1 year. In and out WS. In the end he sold within 1 year and now happy with his A class.

My dad colleague mini also complain issues, which lead me to believe a 2 out of 2 failure rate(excluding yours) from my friends feedback.

What are the issues? is 

I drive my MIni really hard.

2 minutes ago, Pocus said:

Nope you are wrong. Those who own those common bnb brand din complain much to land in the top 10.

my view as per generally human mindset of this timeline

Paid so much for car= any issue MUST complaint jialat jialat

Paid little for bnb car= any issue MOSTLY just accept as it.

I believe you may also read in others forum platforms or YouTube.

the complaint normally follow by how much I paid for this car... blah blah blah..

p/s: above just joking for a fresh start of weekend.. Happy weekend to All

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Their CX5 most likely is a diesel. Only in Europe the diesel engine is popular for the past decade. When Matt say engine issue most likely is the diesel. It could be the same for the German cars he mentioned. The turbo diesel packs more tech than the petrol engines so the failure risks are higher.

It could be due to their climate. Mostly wet and cold. Diesel engine dont like the cold. It works best in our type of climate.

Part of the problem with modern diesel is EGR.  Once that is disconnected, some of the diesel issue might not surface.

↡ Advertisement