15 least reliable cars

6th Gear
21 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

SgCarMart should tie up with some New Car Owners some Long Term Test,only those interested then apply for the Job will ge a small fee,like some U.K. Owners did for a Car Motoring Magazine,the test inc FC,Agent's Attitude,Car Problems,Cost of Servicing & Breakdown....

Any such long term tests done by journalists/reviewers before? Maybe cars are too expensive for AD to support this kind of reviews

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
33 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

My Mini broke down once when i was working in Beijing.

Other than, it is reliable.

What is your mileage per year?

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Tohto said:

What is your mileage per year?

Usually btw 10k and 15k.

Those 2 years i was away, it is less than 5k.

• Praise 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Pocus said:

Based on feedback from my family, friends and colleagues. This could be the unofficial top 10 most unreliable brands in SG. Feel free to disagree.

10. Subaru
9. Volvo
8. Mitsubishi 
7. Citroen
6. Mercedes Benz
5. Renault
4. Audi
3. Mini
2. VW
1. BMW

Disclaimer: not bashing brands, tiagong only. Dun sue me.

No love for Mitsubishi, but they cant be that unreliable.

Agricultural they may be, but they should be reasonably durable, since their engines use old technology.

If they spoil like nobody's business, no one will buy the Attrage no matter how cheap it is.

For #10, keeping my fingers crossed. Nothing has failed yet at the 3 year mark. MI sucks.

Edited by Brass
  • Praise 4

1 hour ago, Ishiwgao said:

I agree with you that electrical issues is highly likely because of gadgets and features, but not because of the 12V system per se. Battery very easy to upgrade to bigger one to handle the added power draw.

Is it really that straight forward? Just change to a bigger rated battery?

I dont think so. It's only ideal when your bigger rated battery is fully charged all the time. What if it's not? Other than powering the onboard electrical stuff the alternator has to charge your bigger battery. More load. Dont forget the alternator takes over when the engine is on.

Unless you hook the battery to a maintainer to keep it full. But then again will it draw a bigger load even when it's full? The alternator will charge it regardless. What will it do to your alternator?

Many ppl just follow what others are doing but never questions it. That's why some ppl's alternator fail. They think bigger is better. But is it really a straight forward fix. That's where I have my doubts.

7 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Is it really that straight forward? Just change to a bigger rated battery?

I dont think so. It's only ideal when your bigger rated battery is fully charged all the time. What if it's not? Other than powering the onboard electrical stuff the alternator has to charge your bigger battery. More load. Dont forget the alternator takes over when the engine is on.

Unless you hook the battery to a maintainer to keep it full. But then again will it draw a bigger load even when it's full? The alternator will charge it regardless. What will it do to your alternator?

Many ppl just follow what others are doing but never questions it. That's why some ppl's alternator fail. They think bigger is better. But is it really a straight forward fix. That's where I have my doubts.

It has to be fixed at architectural level.

The entire electrical system needs to migrate to 48v 

Twincharged
59 minutes ago, Lotr said:

Any such long term tests done by journalists/reviewers before? Maybe cars are too expensive for AD to support this kind of reviews

In U.K...such long Term Tests are done by Owners,esp for those who used their Cars alot...not by Journalists.

Hypersonic
(edited)
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Usually btw 10k and 15k.

Those 2 years i was away, it is less than 5k.

So very low mileage should not experience a lot of break down.

Edited by Tohto

Just now, Tohto said:

So very low mileage should experience a lot of break down.

It only experienced once when I was away.

6th Gear
51 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

In U.K...such long Term Tests are done by Owners,esp for those who used their Cars alot...not by Journalists.

O i c. Thanks for clarifying

2 hours ago, Pocus said:

Nope you are wrong. Those who own those common bnb brand din complain much to land in the top 10.

Simply because conti has more electronic hence resulting in more electronic issues

engine also producing more horsepower than average japanese cars, operating at higher temperature leading to early failure of components in engine bay. 

3 hours ago, Pocus said:

Based on feedback from my family, friends and colleagues. This could be the unofficial top 10 most unreliable brands in SG. Feel free to disagree.

10. Subaru
9. Volvo
8. Mitsubishi 
7. Citroen
6. Mercedes Benz
5. Renault
4. Audi
3. Mini
2. VW
1. BMW

I believe none of ur friends and family drive jaguar or Land rover

i believe these two brand sure in top 5

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic
(edited)
3 hours ago, Pocus said:

10. Subaru
9. Volvo
8. Mitsubishi 
7. Citroen
6. Mercedes Benz
5. Renault
4. Audi
3. Mini
2. VW
1. BMW

Subaru? I'm quite surprised. I always thought Subaru had a good reliability index.

I think out of the big 3 germans, Merc should be the most reliable. My own layperson opinion (who's never owned any of them). Haha but my friends who drive these, mostly drive BMW haha

Edited by Lala81

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, ER-3682 said:

Err, not true. Motor companies in UK do supply long-term test cars to motoring publications. for a period of several months. Autocar and Car UK, for eg, has a whole fleet of these LTT cars. The editor will appoint a caretaker journalist, who will be in charge of evaluating the car's character over the months.

Prominent motoring hacks like Harry Metcalfe or Tiff Needell are also "given" cars for long term evaluation.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

SgCarMart should tie up with some New Car Owners some Long Term Test,only those interested then apply for the Job will ge a small fee,like some U.K. Owners did for a Car Motoring Magazine,the test inc FC,Agent's Attitude,Car Problems,Cost of Servicing & Breakdown....

Agree. SG based car reviews, seems like the reviewer only gets the car for a day, and the eventual review becomes nothing more some pictures and quoting specs that are easily googled online. I loved reading long term (6 mths) review from foreign sources, they really focus on the areas that matter, like day to day driving comfort, fuel consumption, space for family and things etc. 

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

And if review don't say nice things

then no more car for him next time.

Bye bye journalist career.

:grin:

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
(edited)

Worst car in Sg should always include all the French and U.K. brands. Too bad no more Fiats Cars here. Else they would be on the list too. Next will be 2nd and third tiers like vw and opel and Volvo . Then followed by top tier Germans of bmw, Audi then Mercedes. 
I agree that Mitsubishi and Subaru for the Japanese. Appalling poor quality materials used for even made in japan Mitsubishis. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

Worst car in Sg should always include all the French and U.K. brands. Too bad no more Fiats Cars here. Else they would be on the list too. Next will be 2nd and third tiers like vw and opel and Volvo . Then followed by top tier Germans of bmw, Audi then Mercedes. 
I agree that Mitsubishi and Subaru for the Japanese. Appalling poor quality materials used for even made in japan Mitsubishis. 

ya true every brands just have its specific issue.

even make in Japan no exceptional.

like my colleague Mazda quality issue as well. 

then another one honda odyssey too.. 

and etc..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2