15 least reliable cars

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I don't know if Jipun plastic can last in a conti engine bay. But if conti engine indeed runs hotter, then they should use plastic that can tahan the heat, if no such plastic, then they should use more expensive metal parts. The parts must be spec'ed to the working environment. 

German car used metal parts. Due to weight, a lot of it has been changed to plastic.

My previous BMW E39 520 has a lot of plastic parts as compared to its predecessor.

I disagree that AMDK plastic don’t last. Other than cooling piping, a lot of my car plastic parts still from factory. 
To last long, Carbon is the best.

Edited by inlinesix
↡ Advertisement

22 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Actually not really true that conti run at 100 and Japanese at 80. My lousy Suzuki has the radiator fan temp cut in and out same as the merc I used to have. 

It is rare for Japanese car to have water temp 100 deg.

Maybe small engine bay.

1 hour ago, Pocus said:

I thought too, that why I bought the forester. Then i know....lol

Can share what reliability issues you faced with your Forester?

I'm on my 3rd Subaru, 1st bought 2nd hand driven to year 10, another bought new driven to year 9, 3rd on recently bought.

So far has been reliable for me apart from those common issues and replacements - not breakdowns or downtimes.

• Praise 2

49 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Actually not really true that conti run at 100 and Japanese at 80. My lousy Suzuki has the radiator fan temp cut in and out same as the merc I used to have. 

Thought performance cars run richer/cooler and/or leaner/hotter at cruising throttle? Shd be the same for both ang moh and jippun cars? 

Anyway I always feel my Honda run rich cos can listen and feel tje crisppiness, but decided waste a bit of fuel for better longevity of the engine and parts. 

Supersonic
56 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

It was not park there la.

My wife is driving it daily short distance 

I am sure, just joking with you. Pai seh. 

Mini to me is a lifestyle car, unlike other ordinary car, it is unique in its own way. I nearly bought a used soft top 4 years ago as my family second car  but that ang moh seller backed out last minute. I heard about the car being more problematic but to me , a few trips to workshop more than the day to day car is ok. 

Hypersonic
(edited)
1 hour ago, Pocus said:

Reliability aside, I never regret buying a subaru. It's a damn good drive and I enjoy every journey on the wheel. It's worth it you look past the value. 

My Subaru just over 4 yrs. Just over 120k mileage 

Yes, there are some unexpected failure like aircon related. Front and rear wheel bearing both failed by 90k.

But I still enjoy the drive till now. 

Did backside itcy thinking of changing car. But no others SUV at similar performance and price range. All will be more than $200k. Of course a BMW X3 will have even better drive, especially the handling part. Drive a rental X3 for 2 weeks in Germany.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 4

5 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

I am sure, just joking with you. Pai seh. 

Mini to me is a lifestyle car, unlike other ordinary car, it is unique in its own way. I nearly bought a used soft top 4 years ago as my family second car  but that ang moh seller backed out last minute. I heard about the car being more problematic but to me , a few trips to workshop more than the day to day car is ok. 

Mini definitely a lifestyle car.  It is less utilitarian than a lot of cars.  For eg, it is mafan to ferry more than 1 person on daily basis..

Problematic? Not really.  I had uplorry key fob on 1st year of ownership.  My car broke down on its 4th year (because of battery).

I will avoid soft top as the rear window hardly can see outside when reverse. 

• Praise 2

Twincharged
(edited)
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

German car used metal parts. Due to weight, a lot of it has been changed to plastic.

My previous BMW E39 520 has a lot of plastic parts as compared to its predecessor.

I disagree that AMDK plastic don’t last. Other than cooling piping, a lot of my car plastic parts still from factory. 
To last long, Carbon is the best.

Tons of bmw plastic parts In the engine bay, disintegrating and reported all over the forums. You don’t hear so many other makes having so many brittle plastics.  

considering that bmw sells much less cars than Mercedes toyota Honda combined. That is quite a amount. You don’t hear as much from the other 3 brands. 

I can accept plastic coolant pipes cracking. But what I cannot accept is the intake manifold chwee and need to change to whole thing. An intake manifold is not a wear and tear part. As the piston rings and pistons for vw at less than 100k km. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

Conti normally can hit up to 105-110 deg celcius

jap cars max ard 90 deg celcius 

assuming car were working fine

Twincharged
10 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

This is taken from rrp which modifies Suzuki ecu.

1506882D-E5BD-41E5-8072-48CEBF713597.jpeg

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
8 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

My XT on Singapore about 90 to 95 deg C. On NSHW about 100 to 105 deg C.

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Tons of bmw plastic parts In the engine bay, disintegrating and reported all over the forums. You don’t hear so many other makes having so many brittle plastics.  

considering that bmw sells much less cars than Mercedes toyota Honda combined. That is quite a amount. You don’t hear as much from the other 3 brands. 

I can accept plastic coolant pipes cracking. But what I cannot accept is the intake manifold chwee and need to change to whole thing. An intake manifold is not a wear and tear part. As the piston rings and pistons for vw at less than 100k km. 

I did not see those in my Mini which has a substantially smaller engine bay as well as hotter engine bay.  Mileage related?

3 minutes ago, Tohto said:

You drive harder on NSHW?

Hypersonic
Just now, inlinesix said:

You drive harder on NSHW?

Constantly about 140 to 160.

But that's normal temperature for XT.

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

This is taken from rrp which modifies Suzuki ecu.

1506882D-E5BD-41E5-8072-48CEBF713597.jpeg

This looks like turbo car rather than NA

Twincharged
13 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Actually more accurate is when the aircon is off. That’s when the ecu decides when to cut in and out the radiator fan. With the aircon running the fan is always on, so generally you get a lower temp. Most thermostats Fully open at 90. 

2 hours ago, Pocus said:

Invecs CVT is the main issue with Mitsubishi cars. No they wont spoil in the first 5 years, but after that good luck. Air con issues and radiator issues are common for Lancers 

From the Wikipedia page, they are apparently using JATCO CVT for the attrage.

Though Nissan CVTs are not known to be the best in the industry, unlike AISIN CVTs or any other reputable CVT, for that matter.

Many Attrages, esp PHVs, have been scrapped, which either suggest that they want to cash out the high COE, or that the cars cannot last.

Regarding someone saying that Geely CMI, actually up till now, their engine technology is still not the best, gicen they are quite fuel hungry and noisy, which Chinese reviewers often comment on.

Chery is better in developing their CVTs and DCT as well as engines but terribly suck at marketing their vehicles.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2