Mercedes Benz's Engine Downsizing Strategy

Carbon82

4 hours ago, inlinesix said:

The problem with Merc is it lack hybrid cars in its current lineup.  On the other hand, it wants to go straight to EV.  Look like this downsizing suits Singapore with cheaper C and E class.

MERCEDES wan sui

they actually have quite a lot of models on MH system, but H - only a few . Pure E - even less

(edited)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/mercedes-cls-260-available-in-china-with-small-15-liter-engine/ar-BB13M5BF

Downsizing is unlikely to stop as regulations are getting stricter in many parts of the world. Perhaps the most striking example in Mercedes’ lineup will be the next-generation AMG C63, which is rumored to drop the twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8 for an electrified 2.0-liter engine. It remains to be seen whether that will actually happen, but with the advancements made in hybrid tech, expect automakers to shave off more and more cylinders.

It’s either this or dropping the models altogether because the more stringent emissions laws are forcing automakers to invest heavily in electrification to comply with the rules. It shouldn’t be that much of a concern in terms of output because even with smaller combustion engines, future cars will be at least just as powerful thanks to the continuous evolution of hybrid tech.

Edited by TeamAMG69

49 minutes ago, TeamAMG69 said:

they actually have quite a lot of models on MH system, but H - only a few . Pure E - even less

Mild hybrid does not help in lowering CO2 for the Group

Downsizing is unlikely to stop as regulations are getting stricter in many parts of the world. Perhaps the most striking example in Mercedes’ lineup will be the next-generation AMG C63, which is rumored to drop the twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8 for an electrified 2.0-liter engine. It remains to be seen whether that will actually happen, but with the advancements made in hybrid tech, expect automakers to shave off more and more cylinders.

It’s either this or dropping the models altogether because the more stringent emissions laws are forcing automakers to invest heavily in electrification to comply with the rules. It shouldn’t be that much of a concern in terms of output because even with smaller combustion engines, future cars will be at least just as powerful thanks to the continuous evolution of hybrid tech.

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Mild hybrid does not help in lowering CO2 for the Group

very little bit only - C200MH - inside VES neutral (together with small engine)

Twincharged
2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

I hope to own a Honda S660 Manual Before the EOL. Haha. At least I can really tell ppl I have driven a Rear engine rear wheel drive car before. hahhaa. 3 cyclinder or not, not very impt. hahah.

Well, make a trip to india and drive the cheapest tata rear enginge rear wheel drive.

Unless it catches fire first, u would have a tick in your bucket list.

• Haha! 3

Internal Moderator
8 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

Well, make a trip to india and drive the cheapest tata rear enginge rear wheel drive.

Unless it catches fire first, u would have a tick in your bucket list.

Tata is 2 cylinder right? 🤣

on my personal opinion, I do not understand why some buyers wanted a lower CC Merc which will not drive as well as a normal Korean or Japanese in the long run. For the brand? a C180 C class is barely making the brand a justice and now...C160? 

When buying a car, one must factor in the 2-3rd year drivability. Some age well but some do not.

• Praise 4

3 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

I hope to own a Honda S660 Manual Before the EOL. Haha. At least I can really tell ppl I have driven a Rear engine rear wheel drive car before. hahhaa. 3 cyclinder or not, not very impt. hahah.

S660 is mid-engined and doesn't fit your bill of rear-engine RWD 😁

Must look for Smart ForFour or Mitsubishi i.

• Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Krieger said:

on my personal opinion, I do not understand why some buyers wanted a lower CC Merc which will not drive as well as a normal Korean or Japanese in the long run. For the brand? a C180 C class is barely making the brand a justice and now...C160? 

When buying a car, one must factor in the 2-3rd year drivability. Some age well but some do not.

branding i guess. same reason why girls pay over the odds for Chanel or hermes bags. want to be seen in those bags. Ya i  know cars are more complicated . 

No offense to anyone, branding can also be a priority

(edited)
25 minutes ago, SZ_ford said:

branding i guess. same reason why girls pay over the odds for Chanel or hermes bags. want to be seen in those bags. Ya i  know cars are more complicated . 

No offense to anyone, branding can also be a priority

Good handbag like Hermes Birkin or Kelly retains value.

A lot of cars don't especially lower range of premium brand.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 2

6 hours ago, Krieger said:

i dont think it wont run well but rather, C160 has so few BHP, over time, more pony will be lost and almost never regain back to the original BHP from factory... (you can tune and zhng) but that is not the point

On 5/11/2020 at 2:59 AM, Turboflat4 said:

And I wouldn't worry too much about decreasing displacement. 

The A45 is not even close to being the HP/displacement champion for stock cars. 

The Leblanc Caroline GTR still holds the crown for the highest stock HP from a 2L 4 cyl turbo engine to the best of my knowledge (and I could have overlooked some even rarer car). But the Caroline makes a whopping 512hp, and because of its miniscule weight, it was able to do 0 to 60 in 2.7s. And it's not exactly a new model. Tech has only gotten better since.

I have no qualms about 2.0T AMG setup for A, B, C and even up to GLB Class, as indeed the engine have performed well and met it purpose, but anything larger, I still prefer to have a 6 cylinder configuration at least, to 'draw the line'. Maybe it is a psychology barrier in me.

IIRC, Koenigsegg Gemera is the current record holder for engine output of 2.0T (600 bhp / 600Nm), and it is a not even a 4 cylinder setup...

On 5/11/2020 at 7:34 AM, Heartbreakid said:

If I am not mistaken, China has a 2.0T engine for the S-Class.

Yah, their S320 is a 2.0T with mild hybrid setup, but hopefully not A S280 with 1.5T

Actually BMW 730i and entry level Jaguar XJ6 also uses 2.0T engine, but I am wondering will any of them especially Mercedes, attempt to break the barrier and load flagship model with a sub 2.0 engine?

On 5/11/2020 at 9:17 AM, inlinesix said:

The problem with Merc is it lack hybrid cars in its current lineup.  On the other hand, it wants to go straight to EV.  Look like this downsizing suits Singapore with cheaper C and E class.

MERCEDES wan sui

With COE (a fixed cost across engine variant) and VES (smaller engine capacity typically attract higher VES surcharge), the cost difference between a C160 & C180 is negligible and the same can be said for E180 vs E200.

I can't wait to read the review on the new GLB200 (using a 1.33T engine with mild hybrid). My butt feel with the current A200 (using same setup) is that it lack the solidness and punch of a larger engine unit, and shudder to think of it been deployed in an even larger and heavier model...

• Praise 8

11 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

I can't wait to read the review on the new GLB200 (using a 1.33T engine with mild hybrid). My butt feel with the current A200 (using same setup) is that it lack the solidness and punch of a larger engine unit, and shudder to think of it been deployed in an even larger and heavier model...

With comparison btw GLB200 and GLB250, it is hard to know which is better.

GLB200 weight is slightly less than 1.5t. With all 7 seats occupied, we could assume it pushes the weight to 1.9t. That would be 7.6kg/nm.

GLB250 weight is slightly more than 1.5t. The weight would be pushed to 1.96t. That would be 5.6kg/nm. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1