Singapore Reckless Drivers Part VIII

RadX

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

The van driver couldnt give a damn with the oncoming traffic during the turn. ?

Comments like this drive me freaking nuts. 
Did you see the accident? 

Did you see what the van driver saw? 

Do you know speed of all participants and everything else? 

So the van driver saw the car coming and just decided to go ahead anyway, despite the risk? 

For whatever reason, he didn't see the car coming, you don't know why or how that happened.  All that we can know for sure would be that he didn't WANT to have an accident

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, Mingsect said:

Unfortunately that was the old advisory from Traffic Police. The new regulations require the driver to slow down and give way. To be safe, cyclists should continue to alight and give way to faster moving vehicles.

12 minutes ago, Darryn said:

So the van driver saw the car coming and just decided to go ahead anyway, despite the risk? 

For whatever reason, he didn't see the car coming, you don't know why or how that happened.  All that we can know for sure would be that he didn't WANT to have an accident

You are free to agree to disagree. Why drive yourself freaking nuts?

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

25 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

I used to stay around there for 27 yr, and know the roads pretty well. The blue car must be coming down from AMK side towards paya lebar, and want to do U-turn there, and the black MPV likely at opp direction heading towards AMK.

I did the same u-turn a lot when i stayed there. It's a discretionary u-turn. It is possible that the blue car didn't see the black car approaching cos from the black car direction, got many vehicles might turn right to go into Lor Chuan (serangoon garden), and will be stopping/waiting at the junction, and so block the view from the blue car (on approaching traffic).

Your observation is same as mine. I wonder why LTA converted the right turn at this junction for minor road (north-south direction) to red, orange and green but did not do so for the major road with 60kph speed limit (east-west direction). Unfortunately, there are a lot of reckless drivers and removing all discretionary turns is the way to go. It will not eliminate accidents but will help to reduce the accident rate.

19 minutes ago, Darryn said:

I'd like to give the benefit of doubt to the van driver. I experience once a near miss accident with a cyclist. at the point when i check i did not see him. Think he was just nice behind a pillar then. When i moved off, he suddenly appear in front of me. 

• Shocked 1

LTA should make it compulsory for all road users to undergo defensive driving, walking and cycling. Can put our SkillsFuture fund to good use. This morning, I just encountered a P plate driver who came to a complete stop for no reason while turning at a busy junction during peak hour traffic and a pedestrian who stopped in the middle of a zebra crossing😲. I had to horn for them to restart their "system" and alert other users of the hazards 😁

1 hour ago, Blueray said:

ya lor ... some people think AEB is 仙丹,got AEB means no accident. [;)]

They should conduct a test, fit all cars with AEB and monitor what is the accident rate? Being hit is not counted..

48 minutes ago, Beanoyip said:

They should conduct a test, fit all cars with AEB and monitor what is the accident rate? Being hit is not counted..

I tried it on the demo car during one of the drive experience and it works perfectly with warning followed by automatic intervention to bring the car to a complete stop without any driver input. I was told there are no mishaps but it is in a controlled environment representing the typical driving conditions. It will certainly be beneficial in real world conditions though not 100%.

• Haha! 1

14 minutes ago, ktnpl said:

I tried it on the demo car during one of the drive experience and it works perfectly with warning followed by automatic intervention to bring the car to a complete stop without any driver input. I was told there are no mishaps but it is in a controlled environment representing the typical driving conditions. It will certainly be beneficial in real world conditions though not 100%.

Even a car has all the safety features in the world, drive like you never have them. 

That's the safest. 

😁

• Praise 7

10 minutes ago, Phluvcat said:

Even a car has all the safety features in the world, drive like you never have them. 

That's the safest. 

😁

Yes fully agree 👍

1 hour ago, ktnpl said:

Your observation is same as mine. I wonder why LTA converted the right turn at this junction for minor road (north-south direction) to red, orange and green but did not do so for the major road with 60kph speed limit (east-west direction). Unfortunately, there are a lot of reckless drivers and removing all discretionary turns is the way to go. It will not eliminate accidents but will help to reduce the accident rate.

The change was done only maybe 1-2 yr ago? Before that, all 4 directions were discretionary...

guess there were more similar accidents in (I like the way you describe it) N-S direction so they changed it, while leaving it discretionary in the E-W direction. It is also possible that there's less straight-going traffic in either one of these (E-W) direction), such that it's not even, so LTA might feel it will ease/shorten the queue by leaving it at discretionary - just a guess.

20 minutes ago, Phluvcat said:

That's the safest. 

😁

Might as well don't buy those car.

Use those safety feature but don't rely on it.

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Thanks for the link. Manage to read the really detail report.

Anyway the report said the van driver is being arrested for dangerous driving involving serious injury.

I know many ppl commented the Audi car driver was speeding  but then he/she has the right of way. The van driver did not keep a proper lookout. I think this will be the standard statement in the traffic accident report.

Hope the 8yo girl can regain consciousness soon.

The van driver confirmed got serious error of judgement, and like his BIL (the girl's father) said, will likely be living in guilt for hurting 4 kids (hoping it's just hurt, and the girl in coma will pull through). The law will probably punish him severely too.

And I know many bros here say the Audi (and VW) has right of way. But my view is the 2 - more so for the Audi - should be punished severely too. They were clearly speeding way way above the speed limit. From the clip of the 3rd witness, who had wanted to overtake the front vehicles but delayed it cos of the 2 speeding cars approaching, can estimate the speed relative to all other vehicles. If all the other vehicles were hogging, then i rest my case. If they were however going at/near the speed limit (was it 50 km/h?), then it looks like the speedsters/racers were going at ~100 or thereabout. What right have they to do that there, endangering lives?

Just imagine that instead of a van making a bad decision doing that U-turn at the wrong moment, and it was a pregnant woman crossing the road with a young kid... I think the outcome (cannot brake in time) would not have changed, except that we'll all be reading really tragic news already. Yes, pedestrian should not have crossed, but as drivers - responsible ones - we know what should/should not be done.

(if proven really speeding excessively) Damn the Audi and VW drivers.

• Praise 3