Singapore Reckless Drivers Part VIII

RadX

3 minutes ago, ktnpl said:

When I was cycling on the road in the distant past, I would only filter out after checking and confirming that any approaching vehicles are far, far away i.e. they do not need to slow down. Otherwise I will dismount and take the pedestrian crossing. This also applies for going across slip road. It was not just out of consideration for other road users, it was primarily for my own safety. I also cycled very near to the roadside kerb, between the double yellow lines.

In fact, prior to 5 May 2018, the Road Traffic (Bicycle) Rules had stipulated very clearly that the cyclist is "not to obstruct vehicles moving at a faster speed."

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/SL-Rev/RTA1961-R3/Published/19920325?DocDate=19920325&ProvIds=pr8-#pr8-

Unfortunately, this requirement was removed in the May 2018 amendment: 

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/SL/RTA1961-R3?ProvIds=pr8-XX-pr8-#pr8-XX-pr8-

I think therein lies the issue...

I think most of the time the culprits are the Mamils. Before the appearance of these tour de France wannabes, there were little conflicts between car drivers and cyclists. The imported Mamils influenced the local ones, not in a good way. 

↡ Advertisement

7 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I think most of the time the culprits are the Mamils. Before the appearance of these tour de France wannabes, there were little conflicts between car drivers and cyclists. The imported Mamils influenced the local ones, not in a good way. 

MAMIL has been here for ages.
This is the biggest group in Singapore 

https://joyriders.sg/joyriders-home/about/

Since 2006

6 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Sadly, our society has degenerated instead of evolving. The lawmakers had a part to play in this.

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, ktnpl said:

When I was cycling on the road in the distant past, I would only filter out after checking and confirming that any approaching vehicles are far, far away i.e. they do not need to slow down. Otherwise I will dismount and take the pedestrian crossing. This also applies for going across slip road. It was not just out of consideration for other road users, it was primarily for my own safety. I also cycled very near to the roadside kerb, between the double yellow lines.

In fact, prior to 5 May 2018, the Road Traffic (Bicycle) Rules had stipulated very clearly that the cyclist is "not to obstruct vehicles moving at a faster speed."

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/SL-Rev/RTA1961-R3/Published/19920325?DocDate=19920325&ProvIds=pr8-#pr8-

Unfortunately, this requirement was removed in the May 2018 amendment: 

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/SL/RTA1961-R3?ProvIds=pr8-XX-pr8-#pr8-XX-pr8-

I think therein lies the issue...

Superceded clause:

8.  Every bicycle shall be ridden close to the left hand edge of the roadway and in such a manner as not to obstruct vehicles moving at a faster speed.

Current clause:

8.  A person who rides a bicycle, power-assisted bicycle, trishaw or tricycle on a road must ride the bicycle, power-assisted bicycle, trishaw or tricycle as near as practicable to the far left edge of the road.

Both clause looks about the same if you read it in it’s entirety 

• Praise 2

6 minutes ago, ktnpl said:

Sadly, our society has degenerated instead of evolving. The lawmakers had a part to play in this.

A lot of times, we have laws that are not enforced. I still see illegal PMD riding illegally at 7am on Pasir Ris Industrial Drive 1

• Praise 3

10 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Superceded clause:

8.  Every bicycle shall be ridden close to the left hand edge of the roadway and in such a manner as not to obstruct vehicles moving at a faster speed.

Current clause:

8.  A person who rides a bicycle, power-assisted bicycle, trishaw or tricycle on a road must ride the bicycle, power-assisted bicycle, trishaw or tricycle as near as practicable to the far left edge of the road.

Those reckless cyclist who don't bother their personal safety and other road users will also not bother to read this. 

Drive and Ride safe. 

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, Atonchia said:

The taxi never hit the cyclist right? The video not clear. 

More like manage to stop abreast but cyclist didn't notice too.... Kept going right and clipped the taxi? 

I believe taxi never hit the cyclist but the cyclist chua sai and lost balance resulted in the fall..

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 9

3 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

Those reckless cyclist who don't bother their personal safety and other road users will also not bother to read this. 

Drive and Ride safe. 

👍

6 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Superceded clause:

Current clause:

I think the previous wordings are more emphatic in stipulating that cyclists are to give way to faster moving vehicles at all times. At least this is the message that I get from reading it. My own layman conclusion: cyclist is 100% at fault based on the old version but 90% at fault based on the new version.🤨

59 minutes ago, ktnpl said:

I think the previous wordings are more emphatic in stipulating that cyclists are to give way to faster moving vehicles at all times. At least this is the message that I get from reading it. My own layman conclusion: cyclist is 100% at fault based on the old version but 90% at fault based on the new version.🤨

Under both version, cyclist may not be wrong as he intends to turn right (based on his lane switching).

Unfortunately, he switched lane too early.

He is definitely guilty of sticking to left lane after overtaking stationary vehicle 

Edited by inlinesix

Turbocharged
On 10/27/2020 at 3:52 PM, awhtc said:

LTA could have installed speed limiting strips to prevent cyclists from moving too fast across traffic including zebra crossings.

Make it illegal to cross the zebra crossing other than walking pedestrians and those wheelchair bound. All other modes like ebike, escooter, bicycle, skateboard, rollerblade will NOT be accorded the right of way along the zebra crossing!!! 

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Zxcvb said:

Make it illegal to cross the zebra crossing other than walking pedestrians and those wheelchair bound. All other modes like ebike, escooter, bicycle, skateboard, rollerblade will NOT be accorded the right of way along the zebra crossing!!! 

You must say other than walking and running also

People jogging also need to cross zebra crossing too. 😅

Key point is all must slow down when approaching zebra crossing. Then briskly cross when safe to do so. 

All meaning vehicles and pedestrians or cyclist or runners. 

• Praise 2

One of the most annoying thing when approaching zebra, crossing is

An approaching pedestrian stop at zebra crossing, then I also stop the car, wave him or her to cross, he or she just wave no...... 

Waiting for the adjoining traffic light to turn green.

As if the sunlight there is much less scorching than the other side. 😅

Edited by Atonchia
  • Haha! 5

39 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

You must say other than walking and running also

People jogging also need to cross zebra crossing too. 😅

Key point is all must slow down when approaching zebra crossing. Then briskly cross when safe to do so. 

All meaning vehicles and pedestrians or cyclist or runners. 

Some runners also very fast, can suddenly appear and then dash across, especially if there are bushes near the zebra crossing. They also need to know there is such a thing called reaction time and braking distance! 

• Praise 5

14 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Amazing. It's like you've been hit with The Rosetta Stone. 

Or at least no longer in a state of being Rosetta Stoned. 😁

So there is a cure... 😁

• Haha! 2