Facebook and Google employees to work from home until 2021

StreetFight3r

https://mothership.sg/2020/05/facebook-google-work-from-home/

Tech giants Facebook and Google have announced that employees will be allowed to continue working from home until the end of the year.

Both companies made the announcement last week.

According to CNBC, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced on May 7 that while company offices would begin to reopen on July 6, employees who can work remotely can continue to do so.

The social media platform was still deciding which employees would have to come in for work.

Google offices to reopen in either June or July

Likewise, Business Insider reported Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google's parent company Alphabet, as telling employees on May 8 that they would likely be working from home for the rest of year.

Google offices will reopen in either June or July for those who cannot work remotely.

The moves represent an extension of work from home policies for both companies; Facebook and Google initially told employees that telecommuting would end halfway through the year.

CNBC reported that Facebook has provided support to employees in the form of a US$1,000 (S$1,416) bonus, video-calling devices, and allowing them to take time off work.

Work from home to continue post-circuit breaker

In Singapore, the government has also indicated that work from home would continue even after circuit breaker measures have been lifted.

Minister for Trade and Industry Chan Chun Sing told reporters on May 3, that he expected work-from-home arrangements to continue for the "foreseeable future".

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

Twincharged

So ironic.... My job basically is to read emails and tell my staff what to do... Something like supervisory role....I just sit in my chair the whole day and answer phone calls and reply emails.... But yet I cannot WFH....

• Haha! 1

This is bad news for commercial REITS. Many companies that used to have reservation are now seeing the benefit of WFH. I believe even after this COVID situation, many companies will continue to have part of their team WFH and save up on rental costs.

My current company is one such example. Now that we have settled into the WFH culture, my boss does not see the value of renting an office space and thus, decided not to renew the office lease and instead, went for the low cost option of co-sharing office with the likes of wework.

• Praise 4

9 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

So ironic.... My job basically is to read emails and tell my staff what to do... Something like supervisory role....I just sit in my chair the whole day and answer phone calls and reply emails.... But yet I cannot WFH.... 

It could be more of a cultural mindset. I believe many companies will eventually change to righ-size their office space. It makes a lot of sense from cost perspective.

3 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

I work from home SINCE Feb lor.  My job even more simple I just send email reply "OK" if I am happy lor.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
6 minutes ago, Apple-Tree said:

I work from home SINCE Feb lor.  My job even more simple I just send email reply "OK" if I am happy lor.

Top mgmt spotted! 😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

5 hours ago, Apple-Tree said:

I guess the difficult part is when you are not happy? Or do you just reply "not okay"?

Supersonic
On 5/11/2020 at 9:55 PM, StreetFight3r said:

https://mothership.sg/2020/05/facebook-google-work-from-home/

Work from home to continue post-circuit breaker

In Singapore, the government has also indicated that work from home would continue even after circuit breaker measures have been lifted.

Minister for Trade and Industry Chan Chun Sing told reporters on May 3, that he expected work-from-home arrangements to continue for the "foreseeable".

In sg wfh continues after CB has been lifted? So how many people here have receive instruction from your company that you will continue to wfh after Jun 1? Or how many will be going back to office to work from Jun 2?

If sg govt wants people to continue to wfh after CB, they should make it a mandatory law to companies and not simply just indicate and allow companies to choose if they want or not. If given a choice, most companies would not choose 100% wfh option for their employees, even they are able to wfh. Companies would rather choose split team, staggered working hours and alternate working days between office and home measures.

• Praise 2

Twincharged
47 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

Since when in recovery? They reopen is not because they recovering. 

More like Trump in self-denial mode....😝

2 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

More like Trump in self-denial mode....😝

Not self denial mode.

This is an election year.  Same like here.

Twincharged
11 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Not self denial mode.

This is an election year.  Same like here.

Screenshot_20200513_094227.jpg

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

In sg wfh continues after CB has been lifted? So how many people here have receive instruction from your company that you will continue to wfh after Jun 1? Or how many will be going back to office to work from Jun 2?

If sg govt wants people to continue to wfh after CB, they should make it a mandatory law to companies and not simply just indicate and allow companies to choose if they want or not. If given a choice, most companies would not choose 100% wfh option for their employees, even they are able to wfh. Companies would rather choose split team, staggered working hours and alternate working days between office and home measures.

no instruction frommy coy yet but no instructions equals go back to work. it should be mandatory for companies that can wfh if not transport system going to be packed. no social distancing. sg govt gotta be more firm and not you should do it, if you can. just drop the IF

• Praise 1

Twitter will allow employees to work from home for as long as they want.

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey told his employees Tuesday that many of them will be allowed to work from home in perpetuity, even after the coronavirus pandemic ends, according to a company spokesperson.

“Opening offices will be our decision,” the spokesperson said. “When and if our employees come back, will be theirs.”

In an email, first obtained by BuzzFeed News, Dorsey said it was unlikely that Twitter would open its offices before September and that all in-person events would be canceled for the remainder of the year.

The company will assess its plans for 2021 events later this year.

“We were uniquely positioned to respond quickly and allow folks to work from home given our emphasis on decentralization and supporting a distributed workforce capable of working from anywhere,” the spokesperson said.

“The past few months have proven we can make that work,” she said. “So if our employees are in a role and situation that enables them to work from home and they want to continue to do so forever, we will make that happen. If not, our offices will be their warm and welcoming selves, with some additional precautions, when we feel it’s safe to return.”

Twitter's new policy comes as businesses across the nation are struggling to adapt to social distancing guidelines and rethinking how they will operate in a post-pandemic world.

Major tech companies such as Facebook, Google and Microsoft were early to move to a work-from-home model and have also been the most cautious in planning for moving employees back into the office.

Google has told employees that the vast majority of them will work from home until 2021, though some will return in the early summer. Facebook will similarly start to reopen offices after the July 4 weekend but will let employees who are able to work from home do so until next year.

The long-term work-from-home policies of these companies stand in stark contrast to much of the rest of the country, where states are slowly easing lockdown restrictions. Governors in several states, including California, where Twitter, Facebook and Google are based, have already started a phased reopening of their economies.

13 hours ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

I guess the difficult part is when you are not happy? Or do you just reply "not okay"?

Oh ...... It is either reply OK or no reply lor.  Why reply when there is nothing to reply lor.

• Praise 1