Why Your Car Isn't as Fast as the Magazines Say

Enye

3 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Lol. She also gave me a death stare when I floor the pedal. Probably the reason I did not floor all the way as I thought.

Was expecting around high 6s or low 7s since I've tuned mine slightly. Many said that I mode is slightly faster. I will test again in the future with s#.

hahahahaha maybe shld test solo then can unleash, rmb to switch off traction control 🙂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

A big factor for Singapore is our humidity and temperature. These 2 factors affect forced induction cars quite a bit, In addition, some of our forced induction engines have different engine settings compared to the western hemisphere models (e.g. some of the BMWs sold here have the S858 option code enabled)

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Ake109 said:

A big factor for Singapore is our humidity and temperature. These 2 factors affect forced induction cars quite a bit, In addition, some of our forced induction engines have different engine settings compared to the western hemisphere models (e.g. some of the BMWs sold here have the S858 option code enabled)

What is S858 Option Code for.?

(edited)
4 hours ago, Ake109 said:

i think you meant northern hemisphere. east and west temperatures are the same throughout their respective seasons. 

i don't think this is anything new, audi has been detuning S and RS models down under due to extreme heat during summer. so technically on paper, it produces less power than northern hemisphere models such as US or European markets..

Edited by louisbosco

Twincharged
(edited)

one of the reason that comes to mind why mfg was always under quoted is from the Mazda RX8 experience where reported  case where the Maxda RX-8 rotary-engine sports car failed to produce the marketed power and Mazda attributed the drop in power (to 142 hp) to a last minute change in engine from 155 to 142.

Mazda offered to buy back the car (at full sticker price plus taxes and fees) regardless of use or condition of the car.

Edited by Sdf4786k

(edited)
22 hours ago, louisbosco said:

i think you meant northern hemisphere. east and west temperatures are the same throughout their respective seasons. 

i don't think this is anything new, audi has been detuning S and RS models down under due to extreme heat during summer. so technically on paper, it produces less power than northern hemisphere models such as US or European markets..

I was trying to say western market e.g. USA/West Europe but yeah. I think its new to some people because the paper specs for many models state the same output numbers BUT the SG market ones have a modified map (e.g. the S858 code I mentioned)

On 5/17/2020 at 6:55 PM, ER-3682 said:

What is S858 Option Code for.?

Older days it was for 'lower compression engine' but recently they named it as 'engine settings for lower quality fuel'. I have it on my B58. Since it is advertised exactly as 340ps like the US/Europe models, I suspect the EU models might do a bit more (hence all those youtube videos claiming this or that hp at this or that dyno) and the shitty fuel hot weather version does the advertised minimum. Or maybe the retardation settings on the S858 version is super super humji and will retard even if it feels hot or dreams of knock or something...

Edited by Ake109

Turbocharged
17 minutes ago, Ake109 said:

I was trying to say western market e.g. USA/West Europe but yeah. I think its new to some people because the paper specs for many models state the same output numbers BUT the SG market ones have a modified map (e.g. the S858 code I mentioned)

Older days it was for 'lower compression engine' but recently they named it as 'engine settings for lower quality fuel'. I have it on my B58. Since it is advertised exactly as 340ps like the US/Europe models, I suspect the EU models might do a bit more (hence all those youtube videos claiming this or that hp at this or that dyno) and the shitty fuel hot weather version does the advertised minimum. Or maybe the retardation settings on the S858 version is super super humji and will retard even if it feels hot or dreams of knock or something...

SG still lower quality fuel! they shld see how much we pay for it! lol

29 minutes ago, Ake109 said:

S858;Can be removed via coding?

1 hour ago, Vegas said:

SG still lower quality fuel! they shld see how much we pay for it! lol

in terms of technicality, sg fuel is 50ppm, australia is 150ppm. like that considered sg low quality meh? there's not fighting comparing to europe at 10ppm but still considered quite good at 50ppm. 

2 hours ago, Ake109 said:

don't confuse power figures with tune codes. they're almost two different topic. one is comparing crank output vs wheel output. brochure vs dyno. the other is a factory mapping to restrict power output.. seems like some australians on bimmer forums are saying they have the code too. i think this is BMW's form of petrol particulate filter in newer Porsches installed in countries with low quality fuels like australia.

(edited)
3 hours ago, louisbosco said:

in terms of technicality, sg fuel is 50ppm, australia is 150ppm. like that considered sg low quality meh? there's not fighting comparing to europe at 10ppm but still considered quite good at 50ppm. 

don't confuse power figures with tune codes. they're almost two different topic. one is comparing crank output vs wheel output. brochure vs dyno. the other is a factory mapping to restrict power output.. seems like some australians on bimmer forums are saying they have the code too. i think this is BMW's form of petrol particulate filter in newer Porsches installed in countries with low quality fuels like australia.

Its what BMW HQ decided. No idea why. Anyway my car no PPF. Manufactured a few mths before the deadline.

I don't think S858 has anything to do with PPF/GPF. Its just BMW decided certain markets have not-go-good gas. Maybe they factored in Singkies like to pump in Malaysia. Or it can be a catch-all to include climate as well.

Edited by Ake109

(edited)
5 hours ago, inlinesix said:

S858;Can be removed via coding?

I suppose you map the thing, whatever was in there gets overwritten.

I tried to google S858 but still no idea what exactly it does (timing, boost , AFR or something else. CR is the same based on part numbers). The UK cars without the S858 have the same 95 recommended (but 91 to 98 RON range accepted) sticker on the fuel cap.

Edited by Ake109

6 hours ago, Ake109 said:

I suppose you map the thing, whatever was in there gets overwritten.

I tried to google S858 but still no idea what exactly it does (timing, boost , AFR or something else. CR is the same based on part numbers). The UK cars without the S858 have the same 95 recommended (but 91 to 98 RON range accepted) sticker on the fuel cap.

Which version of B58 you are running?

(edited)
12 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Pre PPF 2018 B30M0

The latest TU dropped the CR by 0.7 for 'just 40' hp more. The 1st gen with CR 11 was surprising to me at least, for a boosted engine and running on recommended 95. I also understand AFR is quite lean. With all that, not surprised it would be sensitive to non-optimal gas.

Edited by Ake109
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

I think in common life, maintenance of the automobile engine should be paid attention to.And maintenance of the  good engine oil to the automobile life can not be ignored.

Ext link removed by mod. 

Twincharged
On 5/19/2020 at 8:13 AM, inlinesix said:

How many types of B58 Engine.?What about M240i,2019 car.?

6 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

F30/31: 326hp

F22: 340hp.  This should be your car.

G20: 374hp

• Praise 1

On 5/21/2020 at 5:12 PM, ER-3682 said:

Well, basically before the TU, there was the B30M0 which came in 321bhp (F3x) and 335bhp versions (F2x) and the B30M1 also 335bhp for the X and 5 and 6 series. Something like that.

Then came the TU with revision in CR and some internals for current x40 models like LCI 540 and new 3 series.

You want to see if your car has the S858 code, enter your VIN info here :

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/vin/decoder/online