If you buy a COE Car and have $3K to spare. . .

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Really depends on what you want from the car. If the stock performance car is good enough for you, then well you don't have to do anything. I will be very happy to own a stock MX-5! No mods needed! So car have some shortcomings, and the aftermarket is there to improve those stuff. The manufacturer also wanna keep the cost down. So won't put all the good stuff inside one.

Very hard to say also. Some will take the effort to revert the car back to stock then sell. Then all the aftermarket parts can sell for some changes.

I guess even for performance and "sporty" cars, there are different camps of owners. Some prefer how the manufacturer designed and spec the car (eg. a 90bhp NA MX-5). Some will prefer sportier handling (harder / more road feel / less body roll...etc). This can go from the MX-5, FD2R, E10 to the supercars. But I have a feel that the higher power the car has, the less urge the owners will have to upgrade or modify them other than aesthetically. 

There is also the issue with dekitting not done properly and burdens the next owner. So my preference is to have the seller find a buyer that appreciates whatever upgrades that has been done and get it wholesale. Of course, if the price is right...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Scholesy said:

actually one small detail i look for in buying performance cars is the tyres they use. Personally it tells something about the owner. So if i see a PS or P zero or the likes, im already set on the right trail and as this owner is fitting right and not "budgety" about his car. vice versa, if "international tyres" ie. different tyres around, i wont bother too much in the viewing.  

This goes for looking at all used cars. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

5 hours ago, Scholesy said:

I thk if it’s those radiator coolant type hoses won’t have much difference vs stock. But if on boost pipes charge pipes, prob have some difference. But then it comes to heat and durability issues. That’s why some pple prefer using aluminium pipes. 

Heat soak on aluminium pipes

On 6/18/2020 at 3:42 PM, Mkl22 said:

$200 for plugs? how many plugs?

Mine required 6. Most cars should be 4 so the price could be $100-$150.

11 hours ago, Agnoxis said:

Good list of stuff to change on a COE car, I've done most of the items on the list so can offer the lower-end estimate on the costs above. 

1) Change all absorbers ($600)
2)  Same colour paint job ($700)
3) Change engine oil, oil filter ($60)
4) Change aircon + air filter ($40)
5) Change spark plugs ($100)
6) Change all brake pads ($200)
7) Flush brake fluid ($80) never done
😎 Top up coolant and freon refrigerant ($30)
9) Transmission fluid ($100) never done
10) Change all 4 tyres ($500)

Just nice about 2.4k, still under 3k budget! 

Preventive maintenance to reset the history. You've got some pretty reasonable charges from your workshop.

I brought my own 7L of Liquimoly + oil filter + labour in total costed me ~$110 still pretty worth it.

5 hours ago, Naimed said:

Actually I am curious. For performance cars (renewed COE), would you get a stock one or would you pay higher to get one that is the already loaded with branded aftermarket parts like coilovers, bushings, rims/tyres, air filters, exhaust? Would you consider them into the asking price?

Basically just buy, drive and enjoy? Or you will be skeptical with the maintenance and source of the parts used?

I won't really consider paying too much premium for a highly modified car. It was originally installed for their driving pleasure not mine.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
8 minutes ago, Aventa said:

Preventive maintenance to reset the history. You've got some pretty reasonable charges from your workshop.

I brought my own 7L of Liquimoly + oil filter + labour in total costed me ~$110 still pretty worth it.

I won't really consider paying too much premium for a highly modified car. It was originally installed for their driving pleasure not mine.

Nowadays can get pretty decent oil for $10/L, so $70+$10+$30 is about right. 

• Praise 2

6 hours ago, Naimed said:

Actually I am curious. For performance cars (renewed COE), would you get a stock one or would you pay higher to get one that is the already loaded with branded aftermarket parts like coilovers, bushings, rims/tyres, air filters, exhaust? Would you consider them into the asking price?

Basically just buy, drive and enjoy? Or you will be skeptical with the maintenance and source of the parts used?

I will get the one that the owner spent a lot of money to get all the best parts.

Some guys treat their car better then their wife and no expense is spared.

To fit OEM parts is so much cheaper than getting all the best parts.

Until the car looks like this.

:grin:

image.png.d904b344c6033e9299fda7e055995347.png

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

14 hours ago, Aventa said:

If is all factory performance parts (M, AMG, RS,  etc) I don't mind. High end selected bits from Owen developments or alcons also ok. But if is cocktail of mod range aftermarket bits, den I rather not. 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

This is a highly interesting car. I personally have a thing or two for a hot hatch. I chance upon this beautiful 1991 Toyota Starlet (EP91)

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=900317&DL=1000

900317_1b.jpg

900317_6b.jpg

So without much ado, let see how I will transform this car!!! But then, since the car is so cheap. This time, I will increase the budget of the mod a bit. hahaha.

1) Steering wheel. ($160)  The blue steering wheel doesn't match that era at all! I will change it to a old school Momo steering wheel.

omEImFu.png

Best is a 350 diameter. Since the car is tiny, smaller steering wheel means more space to go in and out!

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t729017412

2) Shift boot and Gear Knob. ($100) to continue the old school vibes, rubber shift boot is more iconic!

s-l1000.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

SvOOXLx.png

3) Trapo Car Mat ($130-ish?)

th?id=OIP.7ioZkYjozrF-G3gDDEuVTwHaE8%26p

4) HKS Exhaust!!!! ($1,800) I think It will sound nice on a high-rev 3 cyl engine!!!

s-l500.jpg

5) Missing Buttons ($100) From the picture, you can see that there are some missing buttons. Gotta restore this mister to his former glory!

q5JUp8H.png

6) Oil catch tank ($50) Old car needs some love. An oil catch can you keep your engine clean under hard driving conditions allowing "cleaner" gases to be passed back into the intake.

keeping the engine intake, valves and pistons clean will not lose power in the future.

TgJOJUu.png

Okay lah. The mods I state here all add up to $2,300 only. 😂 Maybe can get a wilwood 4 pot calliper also. 🤔

• Praise 5

Turbocharged
41 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

This is a highly interesting car. I personally have a thing or two for a hot hatch. I chance upon this beautiful 1991 Toyota Starlet (EP91)

900317_1b.jpg

Should be a EP80 with EP81 GT kit if i not wrong. 

During those era alot of us buy half cut from japan and zhng till look like turbo version. The real Turbo if i not wrong is 2 doors.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
2 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

Should be a EP80 with EP81 GT kit if i not wrong. 

During those era alot of us buy half cut from japan and zhng till look like turbo version. The real Turbo if i not wrong is 2 doors.

yeah. I think so it is a EP80 too. But the look alrd EP81 le, so I name it as EP81. 🤣

Turbocharged
Just now, kobayashiGT said:

yeah. I think so it is a EP80 too. But the look alrd EP81 le, so I name it as EP81. 🤣

Zhnged mah! I always go Woodland Industrial Park E for shopping last time..

I got EP70 and EP80 both Zhnged..

I know got "EP71" on the road.. dropped in everything from the donor car.. 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
5 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

Zhnged mah! I always go Woodland Industrial Park E for shopping last time..

I got EP70 and EP80 both Zhnged..

I know got "EP71" on the road.. dropped in everything from the donor car.. 

Hahah. those days the Zhng-scene are more vibrant!

• Haha! 1

$3k is not sufficient based on my experience for my Toyota Vios. You need $6k at least - $4k for the mechanical parts and $2k for the cosmetic and accessories.

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, awhtc said:

$3k is not sufficient based on my experience for my Toyota Vios. You need $6k at least - $4k for the mechanical parts and $2k for the cosmetic and accessories.

Slowly lah. When somebody just gotten a new poison, they wanna put something inside mah. I am saying, if you just bought a used car and have $3K to spare for the car. I am sure in the long run, the spending will be getting more and more. haha.

(edited)
On 7/17/2020 at 9:52 AM, kobayashiGT said:

900317_1b.jpg

900317_6b.jpg

So without much ado, let see how I will transform this car!!! But then, since the car is so cheap. This time, I will increase the budget of the mod a bit. hahaha.

1) Steering wheel. ($160)  The blue steering wheel doesn't match that era at all! I will change it to a old school Momo steering wheel.

omEImFu.png

Best is a 350 diameter. Since the car is tiny, smaller steering wheel means more space to go in and out!

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t729017412

2) Shift boot and Gear Knob. ($100) to continue the old school vibes, rubber shift boot is more iconic!

s-l1000.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

SvOOXLx.png

3) Trapo Car Mat ($130-ish?)

th?id=OIP.7ioZkYjozrF-G3gDDEuVTwHaE8%26p

4) HKS Exhaust!!!! ($1,800) I think It will sound nice on a high-rev 3 cyl engine!!!

s-l500.jpg

5) Missing Buttons ($100) From the picture, you can see that there are some missing buttons. Gotta restore this mister to his former glory!

q5JUp8H.png

6) Oil catch tank ($50) Old car needs some love. An oil catch can you keep your engine clean under hard driving conditions allowing "cleaner" gases to be passed back into the intake.

keeping the engine intake, valves and pistons clean will not lose power in the future.

TgJOJUu.png

Okay lah. The mods I state here all add up to $2,300 only. 😂 Maybe can get a wilwood 4 pot calliper also. 🤔

Was looking at this car too.. quite tempted. Wanted to get a Manuel ride after years of auto gear..

Edited by Josephthm
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Was looking at this car too.. quite tempted. Wanted to get a Manuel ride after years of auto gear..

BBBMTL!

If you buy, we shall do a meet up! 🤩

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1