COVID-19 SG: Start of Phase 1: 407 New Cases, 9 Infections in Community (14 June)

RadX

Message added by BabyBlade

(edited)
16 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

So their total sales during CB is even better than total sales of dine in and takeaway before CB?

Then maybe they don’t need the subsidies. 😆

Yes.  They only have around 20 tables but i counted at least 10 takeaway orders during the 20 mins I was there 2 weeks ago. Today went again to tabao lunch and the manager told me their dinner sales is very good, better than before CB.  They may be the exception but it really depends on the food being served. 

Edited by Voodooman
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Didu said:

ComfortDelGro trials plastic shields in 400 taxis to curb COVID-19 spread

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-precaution-taxi-comfort-plastic-shield-coronavirus-12751394

But doesn't the aircon recirculate the air within, including the aircon blower for driver?

So even with this plastic shield, maybe still need to open all windows when ferrying passengers.

comfortdelgro-taxi-embarks-on-a-trial-of

It's a placebo. So yes, still need to open up windows to air the interior thoroughly. 

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Didu said:

ComfortDelGro trials plastic shields in 400 taxis to curb COVID-19 spread

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-precaution-taxi-comfort-plastic-shield-coronavirus-12751394

But doesn't the aircon recirculate the air within, including the aircon blower for driver?

So even with this plastic shield, maybe still need to open all windows when ferrying passengers.

comfortdelgro-taxi-embarks-on-a-trial-of

This is starting to look like China cabs with the metal bar and plastic guard. For them,  it is to prevent robbery.

Never in my life I would think this will come to Singapore.

• Sad 2

(edited)
1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

Will more restaurants, especially the popular ones, cut back on expensive dine in space and focus on takeaway going forward?  

I tabao dinner from a popular place a few days ago, the manager told me their takeaway sales for dinner now is better than before CB with dine in. And they have all those subsidies.... 😀

Yep. More customers are taking away now. The restaurants can't simply use their takeaway revenue before the lockdown as their new revenue. It's not an apple to apple comparison.

Personally I have spent so much more on grab food and food panda in the past 2 months. In comparison, I have almost never order food delivery prior to lockdown. 

Their beverage income should drop though. There will be less high margin alcoholic and drinks orders now, if any.

Maybe they can manage their rental (don't need so much space now) and waiting staff (don't need waiters now). Should still be able to survive, unless their businesses are already poor prior to the lockdown. 

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
2 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Yep. More customers are taking away now. The restaurants can't simply use their takeaway revenue before the lockdown as their new revenue. It's not an apple to apple comparison.

Personally I have never spent so much on grab food and food panda in the past 2 months. In comparison, I have almost never order food delivery prior to lockdown. 

Their beverage income should drop though. There will be less high margin alcoholic and drinks orders now, if any.

Maybe they can manage their rental (don't need so much space now) and waiting staff (don't need waiters now). Should still be able to survive, unless their businesses are already poor prior to the lockdown. 

Less margin on drinks, but also less cost on manpower and utilities going forward if they all change to take away model.

Anyway getting F&B staff is always a challenge so less staff is a good thing to them.

So who says F&B sure close down?  Now they are doing better than ever, somemore have wage subsidies and rental rebates from Landlords!

• Praise 1

Frankly if this drags on, we need a total repricing of everything in the economy.

starting with govt land price which is the root of all pricing in Singapore.  

2020 will come to be known as the Great Reset. 

• Praise 5

32 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Personally I have spent so much more on grab food and food panda in the past 2 months. In comparison, I have almost never order food delivery prior to lockdown. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/economy/coronavirus-more-singapore-restaurant-closures-and-layoffs-to-come-survey-finds?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=STFB&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1589966537

29 minutes ago, Chongster said:

Frankly if this drags on, we need a total repricing of everything in the economy.

Wait long long

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
31 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

In every crisis, there will surely be opportunity for some and disaster for others.

Those who quickly revamp their business model for takeaways (for eg do more online marketing & promotion,  innovate new menus suitable for takeaway, change their staff structure etc) will do very well. Those who sit back and complain will fold.

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Chongster said:

2020 all our life style  ctrl + alt+ delete

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Icedbs said:

Less margin on drinks, but also less cost on manpower and utilities going forward if they all change to take away model.

Anyway getting F&B staff is always a challenge so less staff is a good thing to them.

So who says F&B sure close down?  Now they are doing better than ever, somemore have wage subsidies and rental rebates from Landlords!

A takeaway only business model can only work if you are already well known (strong branding) and people know you can deliver consistent food quality. Not for newbie, I think.

My friend who is in the trade told me most are suffering although the subsidy is keeping a lot afloat. Heard March is decent month for most, dine in plus subsidies. 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

My original post was not clear. 

They may be the exception but previously their business is limited by the number of tables they have, now it is limited by how fast the cook can churn out the dishes. I am not comparing takeaway revenue pre and post CB but overall revenue. 

What I am saying is some restaurants which are already very popular, not enough tables, may actually be doing better than before. 

• Praise 2

Supercharged
2 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

It's a placebo. So yes, still need to open up windows to air the interior thoroughly. 

Do you think post covid taxi or bus design would incorporate such consideration to separate driver compartment from passengers?

1 hour ago, Didu said:

Do you think post covid taxi or bus design would incorporate such consideration to separate driver compartment from passengers?

If a vaccine isn't on the cards anytime soon, buses and taxis may well have separated driver compartments for the long term. Mandatory HEPA filters for the air circulation systems may also be a possibility. 

4 hours ago, Icedbs said:

This is starting to look like China cabs with the metal bar and plastic guard. For them,  it is to prevent robbery.

Never in my life I would think this will come to Singapore.

My thoughts exactly. It's a sad state of affairs.

↡ Advertisement