COVID-19 SG: Start of Phase 1: 407 New Cases, 9 Infections in Community (14 June)

RadX

Message added by BabyBlade

Supersonic
5 hours ago, inlinesix said:

KNN, are they reading my posts or what?! 😂😂😂

As to your other point, yes, if you are infectious, a face shield will not protect others. Only a properly worn mask over nose and mouth will do so. And given that asymptomatic transmission has been well recognised for this agent (in the study I quoted, positive samples were recovered from patients during pre-symptomatic periods), I think a clear and unambiguous "mask on" policy is needed. You don't have to "feel sick" to spread it. Just mask up.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

8 hours ago, Sosaria said:

Typical civil servant, and who can blame them for being cautious and not bold?

If i were in their shoes i would also take the cautious KS decision by continuing to enforce mask, enforce CB etc. even when some evidence start to show that it's not really necessary anymore.

It's a thankless task, when they are bold, take risk and end up the right decision - everything goes well, nobody notices. But if something goes wrong, they get blamed.

Healthy no need mask is a bold move

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Weez911 said:

In June and July, SIA and SilkAir flights to the following 12 cities will be reinstated: Adelaide, Amsterdam, Auckland, Barcelona, Brisbane, Cebu, Christchurch, Copenhagen, Hong Kong, Medan, Melbourne and Osaka.

https://mothership.sg/2020/06/sia-silkair-flights-reinstate-june-july/

Seriously, Medan, Cebu, Europe and Osaka?????

Who will be flying though?  Health/govt officials, returning citizens?   Very curious, Will reinstating flights lose even more money for the airline given the cost to run each flight

19 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Healthy no need mask is a bold move

This instruction, I believe, was due to at that time, we really have not enough masks for everyone. Hence, if everyone starts to wear mask, then we will have serious shortage of masks for our health care workers working in frontline. 

Hence, I don't see what other option the govt has other than saying only wear mask when you are not feeling well

We should all learn a lesson from this covid-19 crisis.... Basic and low tech industries are also important. Same as growing our own food. The margin for these types of businesses are low. Hence, it is within govt prerogative to ensure such businesses are economical viable. 

8 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

They will tell you it's a calculated risk. 😁

The air stewardess and steward on Medan and Cebu are as good as receiving death sentence (as far as Covid mortality rate). I'm sorry for them. Hope they have a good meal before their flight. 

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Chongster said:

Who will be flying though?  Health/govt officials, returning citizens?   Very curious, Will reinstating flights lose even more money for the airline given the cost to run each flight

drug mules? or drug lords themselves?

11 minutes ago, Neost said:

This instruction, I believe, was due to at that time, we really have not enough masks for everyone. Hence, if everyone starts to wear mask, then we will have serious shortage of masks for our health care workers working in frontline. 

Hence, I don't see what other option the govt has other than saying only wear mask when you are not feeling well

We should all learn a lesson from this covid-19 crisis.... Basic and low tech industries are also important. Same as growing our own food. The margin for these types of businesses are low. Hence, it is within govt prerogative to ensure such businesses are economical viable. 

They got say not enough mask meh? Don’t remember seeing this anywhere in the news

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged
9 hours ago, Kyrios said:

Wow wow wow rooks like beri onz abt returning to normalcy...how about reopening my gyms soon....pls pls pls

I think fitness corners got better chances of opening sooner. Better than nothing

31 minutes ago, Neost said:

The reason is because they think they got the science right.  At that time, not just us but  CDC, WHO, UK experts were all saying healthy no need to wear masks, not just us.
 I distinctly remembered seeing a US advisory FAQ: Q: why do people in East Asia wear masks? A: it’s a cultural thing.  

All our health experts, doctors, top officials go West for their education.  So right from the start there was a bias.  

anyway, they got it wrong and now we right the wrong.  Voters can assess their performance at the ballot but time to move on I say.  

31 minutes ago, Neost said:

You are confused between scientific medical advice (eg. masks help to minimize spread of virus. If you have no surgical mask, wearing a cloth mask helps) versus a mask inventory warning (eg. we are running low on masks, and thus priority should be given to medical professionals). These 2 are not the same thing.

• Praise 2

Just now, Chongster said:

The reason is because they think they got the science right.  At that time, not just us but  CDC, WHO, UK experts were all saying healthy no need to wear masks, not just us.
 I distinctly remembered seeing a US advisory FAQ: Q: why do people in East Asia wear masks? A: it’s a cultural thing.  

All our health experts, doctors, top officials go West for their education.  So right from the start there was a bias.  

anyway, they got it wrong and now we right the wrong.  Voters can assess their performance at the ballot but time to move on I say.  

In the very early days, Chinese doctors were already saying the virus is very transmissible and one of them got it through the eyes without wearing googles.

This is a novel virus. How do you justify giving out medical advice without knowing the full science of it? Shouldn't we err on the side of caution, especially on giving out community advice on masking?

I do agree with the voting though. This is a serious cock up that deserves a vote against them.

• Praise 2

3 minutes ago, Chongster said:

Is it just DMS/MOH opinion?  Do our healthcare professional shares the same opinion?

I know at least 1 Doctor who disagree.

Look at Taiwan.  They still advise ppl to wear Mask.

• Praise 1

52 minutes ago, Chongster said:

It could be freight volumes are increasing, more than the current flight level, so adding one more might work.

I would fly to HK, as soon as quarantine is removed from there, and here.

20 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Is it just DMS/MOH opinion?  Do our healthcare professional shares the same opinion?

I know at least 1 Doctor who disagree.

Look at Taiwan.  They still advise ppl to wear Mask.

Even SDP’s Prof thambyah took this view.  Of course not going to be consensus, but the decision makers think they got the science right.

On retrospect they shd have looked East and not West, but there is inherent bias in this country to look west.  Or in other words, AMDK lah.

5 minutes ago, Chongster said:

Even SDP’s Prof thambyah took this view.  Of course not going to be consensus, but the decision makers think they got the science right.

On retrospect they shd have looked East and not West, but there is inherent bias in this country to look west.  Or in other words, AMDK lah.

So AFTER you know that mask is so important:

Do you

1) soft message the people and tell them to improvise with cloth/old stock/reserve for elderly and tell them we are actively  making - hoping to save some LIVES? 

2) or do you spend weeks in secret to place order to mass produce cloth masks at cost of a few more DEATHS?

• Praise 3

Supersonic
3 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

I just bought a few Face Shield from aunty lucy last sunday! CAN I ASK FOR A  REFUND?? 😡 

I59uG97 (1).jpg

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

Hypersonic
(edited)
10 hours ago, Sosaria said:

Typical civil servant, and who can blame them for being cautious and not bold?

If i were in their shoes i would also take the cautious KS decision by continuing to enforce mask, enforce CB etc. even when some evidence start to show that it's not really necessary anymore.

It's a thankless task, when they are bold, take risk and end up the right decision - everything goes well, nobody notices. But if something goes wrong, they get blamed.

It’s ok to enforce continue wearing of face mask which I will anyway. But don’t say it’s ok to wear face mask or face shield for weeks then suddenly u-turn and say face shield not allowed for general public.

Really sabo those who bought already and those who bring in a lot to sell.

Edited by Fcw75
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3