The Gold 905 FM $10,000 prize saga

dudez7

Turbocharged
45 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

He should be fired if he was dialing in from work. Listening to radio, I am not sure but we have to consider that he is in charge of 100s or 1000s of lives! Are pilots allowed to listen to radio when flying?

I don't understand. Do you mean no calls can be made or taken while at work? Even put into the context of this guy, whom from the BBC's description that he "works on Singapore's underground railway" you then described as "he is in charge of 100s or 1000s of lives", there are so many workshops around that play radio in the open, so that should be stopped too? The question about pilots is all the more baffling - how on earth did you conclude that he is driving a train, which I think is the closest job in "Singapore's underground railway" to a pilot not that they are by any means similar?

↡ Advertisement

(edited)
18 minutes ago, Celicar said:

I don't understand. Do you mean no calls can be made or taken while at work? Even put into the context of this guy, whom from the BBC's description that he "works on Singapore's underground railway" you then described as "he is in charge of 100s or 1000s of lives", there are so many workshops around that play radio in the open, so that should be stopped too? The question about pilots is all the more baffling - how on earth did you conclude that he is driving a train, which I think is the closest job in "Singapore's underground railway" to a pilot not that they are by any means similar?

Mr Shalehan, an SMRT train captain, told The Straits Times that he wanted the $10,000 prize money to spend on his kids in "these difficult times". The father of three kids, aged two to 12, who has another baby on the way in August, had called the station hundreds of times to get through to try the challenge on air.

Edited by ToyotaShuttle

1 hour ago, Sdf4786k said:

Train are mostly self driven.. 

Planes are also almost self landing even like the 380s i am told.

He is not on the india rail way system ...

So can you accept it if the pilot of your flight is distracted playing handphone games or taking a nap?

If it is mostly self driven then why do we need the driver?

Turbocharged
14 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Clearly, the DJ heard only the good stuff. 🙄

This is singularly unfair. They cannot fault this chap for "mispronouncing" an ang moh name slightly when most Sinkies - Mediacorpse staff included- don't even have (what I would consider to be) a strong command of the English language. 

KNN, just give out $10k prize to both the winners due to their own cock up lah. $10k is very cheap to save their face n reputation. No brainer really. 

• Praise 4

2 minutes ago, Yeshe said:

KNN, just give out $10k prize to both the winners due to their own cock up lah. $10k is very cheap to save their face n reputation. No brainer really. 

exactly. its not 1m or something.

they will lose fans if this blow up, not worth to save that 10k in today market. 

own up say sorry give that 10k , take it as advertising fee. they earn more listener 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
26 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

The radio station finally decided to award him the full $10k !!

For just 10k make until big hooha... No worth it... 

Twincharged
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Yeshe said:

For just 10k make until big hooha... No worth it... 

Deleted.... 

Saw your earlier reply... You were referring to the radio station...  

Edited by Ysc3

(edited)
17 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Clearly, the DJ heard only the good stuff. 🙄

This is singularly unfair. They cannot fault this chap for "mispronouncing" an ang moh name slightly when most Sinkies - Mediacorpse staff included- don't even have (what I would consider to be) a strong command of the English language. 

Totally agreed.

Our own Singapore English is atrocious.  Even our own DJs, govt ppl can mis pronounce words.

I attended a training for communication.  The trainer said this and I never forget. "Singapore is the only country in the world that mis pronounce "opportunity"

How you pronounce "opportunity"?

Any DJ here to try?

And another word "Orchard".  Who wants to try pronouncing this?

Our mediacorp  not shy to admit it?

Edited by Jusnel
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

The radio station finally decided to award him the full $10k !!

To save their bloody face..... 

They shld sack the DJ

Supersonic
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Totally agreed.

Our own Singapore English is atrocious.  Even our own DJs, govt ppl can mis pronounce words.

I attended a training for communication.  The trainer said this and I never forget. "Singapore is the only country in the world that mis pronounce "opportunity"

How you pronounce "opportunity"?

Any DJ here to try?

And another word "Orchard".  Who wants to try pronouncing this?

Our mediacorp  not shy to admit it?

Out of curiosity, how do Sinkies often mispronounce "opportunity"? 

I use the Brit pronunciation with a slight "choo" sound. 

There is an alternative Yank pronunciation with the "too" sound.

An acceptable hybrid might have a "tew" sound.

But the level of stress placed on the syllables is pretty standard.

Edited by Turboflat4

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Out of curiosity, how do Sinkies often mispronounce "opportunity"? 

I use the Brit pronunciation with a slight "choo" sound. 

There is an alternative Yank pronunciation with the "too" sound.

An acceptable hybrid might have a "tew" sound.

Its not the choo or tew.  

Its the second syllable.

Many Singaporeans pronounce as "pour"

I'm not a linguist.  But its from my observation 

Edited by Jusnel

Hypersonic

Anyway if u watch british tv/sports/listen to BBC etc. It was always most likely to be head-ly.

Rather than Had-ly (which would be correct if u were an American). Cos bradley is a common name among americans.

Hypersonic
2 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Its not the choo or tew.  

Its the second syllable.

Hmm my friend's all mostly come from english speaking families. So I don't think it's an issue.

Though i think my grammar and pronunciation of the English language is fairly accurate. I definitely don't speak the Queen's English. 

For normal conversation, as long as i understand what they are saying. It's fine. We are not a mono-lingual society. For someone who's mostly speaks chinese/dialect/malay/tamil as their mother tongue. 

Sometimes my enunciation has to be corrected by my daughter as well. "South", "daughter", "children". Though i know the correct pronunciation, it slips when I'm concentrating on other things.

Hypersonic

English is a very idiosyncratic language. Special conditions in grammar, pronunciation are all just various idiosyncrasies that have been accepted over time. 

The rules are frankly, quite arbitrary. As it is a living language that is so commonly used.

• Praise 1

Headly Harley hadly, is there a second such Tony? No right? Very obvious he was referring to this man, and not another imposter. So why the nitpick? Serve them right. Now got to cough up 10 more K, to appease the angry mob 😂

• Praise 1

Supersonic
28 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Its not the choo or tew.  

Its the second syllable.

The second syllable must have the "puh" sound akin to "purr" (but without the rolled "r" sound).

4 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

The second syllable must have the "puh" sound akin to "purr" (but without the rolled "r" sound).

yeah exactly!  shld be "purr"

but many Singaporeans say as "pour", even our own MOE teachers!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1