The Gold 905 FM $10,000 prize saga

dudez7

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Jusnel said:

Totally agreed.

Our own Singapore English is atrocious.  Even our own DJs, govt ppl can mis pronounce words.Any DJ here to try?

Our mediacorp  not shy to admit it?

Talk about DJ... There is one male news reader on Kiss92....the engrish very different from ours ....sometimes i cringe when I hear him pronounce our local names... 😖

↡ Advertisement

Years ago, there was a similar case for the Sheng Siong show.

Chen Shu Cheng had to apologise to the old lady and they gave her a consolation prize instead.

The issue then was for the SEA Games sailing champion's name: "Ben Tan" and "Benedict Tan".

Hypersonic
(edited)
10 hours ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

He should be fired if he was dialing in from work. Listening to radio, I am not sure but we have to consider that he is in charge of 100s or 1000s of lives! Are pilots allowed to listen to radio when flying?

That being said, he also deserves to win the 10k.

Maybe he WFH leh? 🤣

Anyway, 90.5 damn jialat. Even Tony Hadley said his name is pronounced correctly. What’s there to argue?

And this guy damn solid, he rejected $5000 from Mediacorp and don’t rather take a cent few days back. 

The station had initially doubled down on their stance after Mr Shalehan sent them a video of Hadley saying that the pronunciation of his name was right, but offered a token of appreciation of $5,000 to Mr Shalehan as a gesture of goodwill. Mr Shalehan did not accept the offer.

I like what he said:

"Most importantly, they have acknowledged publicly that they are sorry. I hope this serves as an inspiration to others, that you do not just shut up because of some money. You have to have some integrity," says Mr Shalehan.

The sentence in bold can be said for some singaporeans. Give a bit of money before elections, everything also forget and then vote for the same party again. After that, KPKB about govt again.

Have some integrity man! 

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 3

6 hours ago, Jusnel said:

To save their bloody face..... 

They shld sack the DJ

Chris is okay lah. I always bump into him at BB McD and will exchange greetings.

Turbocharged
12 hours ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Mr Shalehan, an SMRT train captain, told The Straits Times that he wanted the $10,000 prize money to spend on his kids in "these difficult times". The father of three kids, aged two to 12, who has another baby on the way in August, had called the station hundreds of times to get through to try the challenge on air.

I see thanks. I would agree that if he was driving the train and calling, then that would not be right.

17 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

I like what he said:

"Most importantly, they have acknowledged publicly that they are sorry. I hope this serves as an inspiration to others, that you do not just shut up because of some money. You have to have some integrity," says Mr Shalehan.

The sentence in bold can be said for some singaporeans. Give a bit of money before elections, everything also forget and then vote for the same party again. After that, KPKB about govt again.

Have some integrity man! 

Give a bit of money don't take, give more can take? 🙂

Hypersonic
4 minutes ago, Raychay said:

Give a bit of money don't take, give more can take? 🙂

The prize money is $10000 leh and rightfully his. Why don’t take?

5 hours ago, badlammy said:

My surname is Ng. I hope DJs won't mispronounce my name if I ever win something. 😟

Pure angmo cannot pronounce Ng will sound like Eng. Local kantan will make it sound like Erng or something. 

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
8 hours ago, badlammy said:

My surname is Ng. I hope DJs won't mispronounce my name if I ever win something. 😟

Most foreigners cannot pronounce Ng. They will say N G. Right? 

• Haha! 1

On 5/21/2020 at 8:28 PM, dudez7 said:

Here you go: 

Yes, Tony Hadley is right. I listened to this recording (Thanks to the one who posted) over and over again, he did pronounce it correctly. Plus he pronounced Carlisle EXACTLY correct. And he must have really cracked his brain and did plentiful of research to land on the correct name. 

Supercharged

That is why some organizer do not entertain queries or questions once their decision is final. This is not the 1st time they organize such event/contest, they should have anticipated the kickback. Must be some noobie staff organizing this contest.

Twincharged
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Xers007 said:

That is why some organizer do not entertain queries or questions once their decision is final. This is not the 1st time they organize such event/contest, they should have anticipated the kickback. Must be some noobie staff organizing this contest.

Wonder who was the judge? Maybe now Kenna deduct salary to pay back.? 🤪

Edited by Mkl22

Turbocharged

Actually using "accurate pronunciation" as a key criteria for a contest held over a radio transmission is kind of strange.

Because we all know that sound can be distorted after going through a string of electronic devices. Add it some accent or background noise and it can be difficult to judge, which means there will be an element of subjectivity. A fair contest should not have any element of subjectivity; this is not a sports match.

So i am glad it eventually went to the deserving winner.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:19 AM, ToyotaShuttle said:

He should be fired if he was dialing in from work. Listening to radio, I am not sure but we have to consider that he is in charge of 100s or 1000s of lives! Are pilots allowed to listen to radio when flying?

That being said, he also deserves to win the 10k.

This is not EDMW, please.

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Mr_b20 said:

This is not EDMW, please.

What does this got to do with it being EDMW or not?

I am just pointing out that train driver using the phone during work hours (esp for non emergencies) should be fired. Do you even take public transport?

↡ Advertisement