Flagship Sports Line Up from Japanese Manufacturer

Davidklt

(edited)

This is from a 1993 local car magazine.

Only Honda's flagship is non-turboed.

And mind you, these are only flag ship. Down the line, you still have cars like Prelude, CRX, FTO, 200SX.

It was a good time for car lovers then !

0A2C8AD6-2E58-4F31-92EF-3EEA998A332B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.c08e028a7fd775447c75603d1d135e63.jpeg

Edited by Davidklt
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6
  • Shocked 2

Internal Moderator
8 minutes ago, Davidklt said:

And mind you, these are only flag ship. Down the line, you still have cars like Prelude, CRX, FTO, 200SX.

0A2C8AD6-2E58-4F31-92EF-3EEA998A332B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.c08e028a7fd775447c75603d1d135e63.jpeg

This magazine might worth some money now. hahahha. Who is the editor during 93' arh?

Turbocharged

Clockwise from left -

- Nissan 300ZX
- Mazda RX-7
- Toyota Soarer
- Honda NSX
- Nissan R32 GTR
- Mitsubishi GTO (I remember the ST74G no. plate. Owner lived in a D10 landed property)
- Mazda RX-7

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
22 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

This magazine might worth some money now. hahahha. Who is the editor during 93' arh?

Dr Winston Lee was one of the editors. Long before Christopher Tan's era.

Those were the days when super cars came with only manual as the sole option.

• Praise 2

46 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

Clockwise from left -

- Nissan 300ZX
- Mazda RX-7
- Toyota Soarer
- Honda NSX
- Nissan R32 GTR
- Mitsubishi GTO (I remember the ST74G no. plate. Owner lived in a D10 landed property)
- Mazda RX-7 Efini RX-7

Correction: The yellow unit is the rarer Efini RX-7.

Efini was a sub-division of Mazda from 1991 to 1997. It was brought in as a luxury arm of Mazda, alongside other sub brands such as Eunos and Autozam.

In its role as the luxury brand, its product lineup includes RX-7, MS-6 (rebadged 626), MS-9 (rebadged 929 / Sentia), and MPV (same name as Mazda's). The MS-8 was the only car unique to the brand. Interestingly, the authorized dealer in Japan for Efini also had the Citroens brand under it belt.

Ultimately all sub-brands of Mazda were disbanded by the late 90s, largely due to the economic downturn. Efini was simply a marketing test for Mazda that didn’t really go anywhere.

efini_rx-7_type_r_6_00a9004c03450270.jpg

efini_ms-6.jpeg

efini_ms-8_5.jpeg

autowp.ru_efini_ms-9_1.jpg

autowp.ru_efini_mpv_1.jpg

• Praise 6

1 hour ago, Davidklt said:

OMG as someone born in 2000 this is such a cool sight, i wonder if the white soarer is the current black soarer? Also, the red r32 looks so fine. Do you mind showing the inside of the magazine?

(edited)
58 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Somehow 300zx rocks for me. It just stood out for me.

Yeah, never own nor driven one.  Maybe some day.... 

All the 6 cars in the photo still look fresh in their design. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1

Supersonic
4 hours ago, Davidklt said:

I miss my 200SX.

2 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Yeah, never own nor driven one.  Maybe some day.... 

All the 6 cars in the photo still look fresh in their design. 

And distinctive in their own way. 

Honda was such an admirable company then. The only company that refused to turbo-charge their cars. Instead, they researched and researched and came up with VTEC and put it on the NSX.

What followed suit was a series of "lesser" cars such as VTi, Sir, Integra GSR and Type R which gave wonderful bhp to engine capacity ratios. They even had proprietary double wishbone suspension for all their cars as standard.

Looking at the current state of Honda cars and especially the Civic..nothing to say for now.

• Praise 3

5 hours ago, Davidklt said:

Honda was such an admirable company then. The only company that refused to turbo-charge their cars. Instead, they researched and researched and came up with VTEC and put it on the NSX.

What followed suit was a series of "lesser" cars such as VTi, Sir, Integra GSR and Type R which gave wonderful bhp to engine capacity ratios. They even had proprietary double wishbone suspension for all their cars as standard.

Looking at the current state of Honda cars and especially the Civic..nothing to say for now.

With sky high popularity of Vezel/HRV, they might think they are doing something right

On 5/21/2020 at 8:41 PM, Vinceng said:

Clockwise from left -

- Nissan 300ZX
- Mazda RX-7
- Toyota Soarer
- Honda NSX
- Nissan R32 GTR
- Mazda RX-7

A walk down memory lane.  Looks like some of the oldies are coming back with new skin.

• Praise 2