Dealer who sold car with tampered odometer wins case

Mockngbrd

4 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/dealer-who-sold-car-with-tampered-odometer-wins-case

listing01.jpg

af15bbcb98aeb35ac88b931ec9d614a1.jpg

SINGAPORE - A car buyer lost his case against a dealer for selling him a car which had clocked six times the mileage shown on its odometer - all because of a technicality.

This is good news indeed. It show that you can anyhow adjust your odometer and get away with it.  It is legit one hor. Or GO ASK AD Engineer to testify lor ...... haha.  I like it.

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic
(edited)
2 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

If you believe SGCarmart ads, there are people who buy a car purely to send their kids to school only, another car purely to go to market, and a third car for seeing their mistress and a fourth car to chope their favourite spot outside their house. 

Yeah my MIL

:grin:

4 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Like this my MIL wants to sell her car.

Low mileage, perfect condition, paint work like new.

Only drive to market.

:grin:

image.png.39544c1e375a68128111790c23308618.png

Everybody please don't buy my MIL car.

If you do please don't come and complain to me.

If you take her to court she will hire that lawyer

that knows legal procedures and win on technicalities.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
31 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

always adjust by 50%. 5000 km adjust to 2500km also song!

Mine under 20k a year yet I would consider myself a low mileage user. Those 20-25k I think is norm. So 12k/year average is swee swee 50% 😅

Turbocharged

e-scooters were banned because of several high profile cases associated with it.

Will need a few high profile cases of fatal accidents caused by undisclosed tweaked mileage cars to happen before the relevant authorities will deem it fit to take action.

Twincharged
(edited)
1 minute ago, Vinceng said:

e-scooters were banned because of several high profile cases associated with it.

Will need a few high profile cases of fatal accidents caused by undisclosed tweaked mileage cars to happen before the relevant authorities will deem it fit to take action.

don't see how mileage tweaking and fatal accidents are linked

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

Said before and I will say it again. 

If the authorities can be such anal d!psh!ts to microexamine welds and manufacturers' stamping marks of an exhaust system and store the photos they can jolly well record the mileage of the car that comes in for periodic inspection

Prospective car owners can then go to OneMotoring to key in their potential purchase's chassis number to verify mileage at the last inspection. 

Even if someone (not fingering the dealer only, some owners may do it also) wants to tweak the odometer, they cannot possibly wind it back past the last recorded mileage. 

I posit that this is a safety issue because a number of mechanical components on every car have to be replaced periodically. Adjusting the odometer causes these items to NOT be replaced when they need to. 

I mean, how hard can it be, and why do they leave things the way they are? I don't want to accuse them of protecting the unlawful, but they are definitely leaving huge holes for exploitation. 

Looking at the COVID response by government bodies, their KPI is not aligned with problem solving, but possibly allowing a problem to be so visible so it can be solved and celebrated.

If massaged information can be provided to ease worries, it can be provided in good conscience.

LTA is not known to be well manged, given its monstrous reach, yet distant management.

Such simple solutions such as logging of mileage, or a central record of mileage by all registered workshops like our health clinics, is not relevant to them.

Afterall road tax, Vicom testing, COE are mainly cash cows to fund city building

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
24 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

don't see how mileage tweaking and fatal accidents are linked

Failure to replace critical mileage based wear and tear parts.

• Praise 1

Many lawyers job is just prepare forms and contracts. No court experience one. This is a sad example. 

Having said that, it's also disheartening to see that whenever there's a "technicality" it usually means the bad guys can walk away unpunished. No spend money = no good lawyer = no justice. That's how the so-called justice system is designed to be. 

• Sad 1

Turbocharged

You look at @Adrianli case, whereby he had camera footage of the vandal scratching his car & reported the case to Police,, but the vandal got away scot free.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

You look at @Adrianli case, whereby he had camera footage of the vandal scratching his car & reported the case to Police,, but the vandal got away scot free.

That’s because it is NOT a crime to vandalise private property.

It will be a crime when LTA car Kenna scratch.

Ask your MP to change the law lo

Edited by inlinesix
  • Haha! 2

9 minutes ago, Jellandross said:

Many lawyers job is just prepare forms and contracts. No court experience one. This is a sad example. 

Having said that, it's also disheartening to see that whenever there's a "technicality" it usually means the bad guys can walk away unpunished. No spend money = no good lawyer = no justice. That's how the so-called justice system is designed to be. 

What do you expect from in-house lawyer?
Of course not all of them are that inexperience.

Supercharged

Low mileage is possible but rare. My friend sold his 5 years old car with a <20k on odometer. The reason why this american brand car was under utilised is becos very jia you. I was told the FC is 7km/L @,@

Twincharged
59 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

Failure to replace critical mileage based wear and tear parts.

is it a rule for accidents? i thought they just check especially when there is loss of life, if any component failure cause the accident. never heard of any car crash investigation caring about mileage.

or is this your own conjecture?

Twincharged
23 minutes ago, Yeobt said:

Low mileage is possible but rare. My friend sold his 5 years old car with a <20k on odometer. The reason why this american brand car was under utilised is becos very jia you. I was told the FC is 7km/L @,@

jiak you only ok la. i thought it was cannot move more than half the time. Spend its time sleeping at the workshop.

• Haha! 1

50 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

What do you expect from in-house lawyer?
Of course not all of them are that inexperience.

The plaintiff is an in house legal counsel but represented by Clarence Lun of Foxwood LLC. 

Mr Tan should just fire his lawyer, do crowd funding and have another go at Viking.  Think many in MCF will be happy to donate some money to see that justice is done.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

Supersonic
(edited)
2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

That’s because it is NOT a crime to vandalise private property.

It will be a crime when LTA car Kenna scratch.

Ask your MP to change the law lo

This is *not* true. 

See: https://sso.agc.gov.sg/Act/VA1966

Screenshot_20200522_200659.thumb.jpg.76e6ce65d43818791110e9d11836953e.jpg

Penalties include fine max 2k, prison max 3 years. 

It is a *criminal offence*. The police are supposed to act on evidence of such. 

I'm not sure if one needs a magistrate's complaint to spur the police into action. I'm not sure why that would be needed. But apparently magistrate's complaints pertain to criminal offences (carrying 3 or fewer years prison term) so it may be applicable here. 

If you know please tell me why one needs a magistrate's complaint. Why is a police report not good enough? 

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5