Renault could kill the Alpine A110 after just three years

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Renault could kill the Alpine A110 after just three years

source: https://uk.motor1.com/news/424665/renault-closing-alpine-a110-factory/

image.thumb.png.fbefca52de188b55e220fe8f8a440a31.png

The company is looking to cut costs.

Renault, like many automakers right now, are looking to cut costs to survive the coronavirus pandemic. The French automaker, part of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance, is preparing to unveil a cost-cutting plan that, according to a new report from Automotive News Europe, calls for the closing of several factories. One of those possible closures is Renault’s Dieppe, France, plant where it builds the limited-production Alpine A110 sports car.

This could put the A110 out to pasture just three years after its introduction at the 2017 Goodwood Festival of Speed. The factory employs about 400 people, according to the publication, and it’s one of the company’s smallest factories in the alliance. The report doesn’t say if Renault plans to move A110 production out of Dieppe, though in September 2018, the company had a 14-month waiting period for the new car, at the time increasing output from 15 to 20 cars a day.

The news comes just months after Renault introduced the Alpine A110 Legende GT earlier this year, which the company is limiting to only 400 examples. It followed the two-wheel-drive race car version revealed last year and a crossover-coupe concept. However, with Renault looking to cut €2 billion (£1.8 billion) from its budget, everything is likely on the table. Earlier this year, Renault CEO Clothilde Delbos said there’d be “no taboos” to cutting costs, according to the publication.

Gallery: Alpine A110 Legende GT

alpine-a110-legende-gt-et-color-edition.

Sad to see such a good car go our of production so soon. I guess they have bad timing for such a good car.

James May also own one A110.

↡ Advertisement

Shame. This is one of the best drives out there at that price point. The engine has a very nice note.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

Renault can close down completely for all I care. Less crappy cars on the road. 

That will really happen if they really kill off their iconic models.

But I dont want to see them gone because I want my cheap 2nd hand frenchies for as long as I live.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
3 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Ugly. My neighbour has one. 

It looks like a mid-90s Celica w an even uglier butt

z3.jpg

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Most French & Italian Cars are Crap....Parts are Rare & Very Expensive,Endless $$$ Pits...when Warranty are Over.

Twincharged
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Soya said:

It looks like a mid-90s Celica w an even uglier butt

z3.jpg

Ugly,but at least it is based on a Toyota Corolla..very lasting,Stingy American Youtube Mechanic Scotty got 1.

Edited by ER-3682
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic
2 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

Ugly,but at least it is based on a Toyota Corolla..very lasting,Stingy American Youtube Mechanic Scotty got 1.

For that Scotty fella, he's a one trick pony - Toyota is da bestest of the bestest if not the bestest of all the bestest

Twincharged
49 minutes ago, Brass said:

But I dont want to see them gone because I want my cheap 2nd hand frenchies for as long as I live.

You need some one to take the plunge in order for close to paper and low depreciation 2nd hands. I am also a cheapo. Might consider them if 3-4K depre and 1k above paper. 

Supersonic
6 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Ugly. My neighbour has one. 

Ordinary I would say. The a110 and 310 during the 70s have quite a character of their own but these days I dont see that on newer Alpine.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

You need some one to take the plunge in order for close to paper and low depreciation 2nd hands. I am also a cheapo. Might consider them if 3-4K depre and 1k above paper. 

OT a bit.

That is a pipe dream...

COE of cars in 2016 and 2017 are about 4k per year, I think they rather scrap...

I would say about 2 k above paper is acceptable.

Suckers are everywhere...when I bought my car, the Megane was selling at 100+k with 2.5k scrap value. For its poor value on quality and rubbish armrests at the rear, I walked away.

That depreciation is near Civic (107k iirc) at that time. They must be thinking that they are selling Hondas.

Edited by Brass
  • Praise 1

(edited)
18 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Sad to see such a good car go our of production so soon. I guess they have bad timing for such a good car.

James May also own one A110.

Oh no! I was hoping to get my hands on one of these cars. Even legendary Mclaren F1 designer Gordon Murray loved it and used it as benchmark for his upcoming supercar, just like how he used the Honda NSX in the 1990s.

Gordon Murray praises Alpine A110's handling, uses it as benchmark for T50 supercar

“A year ago I bought an Alpine A110, and it has the best ride and handling compromise of anything I’ve driven since the Lotus Evora, which was top of my list before this

The Alpine is “the best car I’ve ever driven for ride and handling,” Murray said. It’s better than a Porsche. It’s better than supercars. It’s absolutely brilliant.

https://www.motor1.com/news/389260/gordon-murray-t50-hypercar-benchmarked-alpine-a110/

Some stock photos from google:

Gordon Murray with Alpine A110

image.thumb.png.cac06d1d98eb4980732f5defc1d49d20.png

Old photo of Gordon Murray with Mclaren F1 XP3

image.png.8f80a8de1b212f756a0bf83672d4f028.png

Gordon Murray's new T.50 Supercar

image.thumb.png.b15e4324ad00dd7fa2fad7419d83c345.png

Edited by Ishiwgao
  • Praise 2

On 5/23/2020 at 6:15 PM, Brass said:

Along with the Alpine they will discontinue my RS Megane 😭 after many years and incarnations.

They are, basically, discontinuing all petrol models as they pursue a full EV portfolio so in the end they may come back as sporty EVs.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1