COVID-19: Retrenchments

Albeniz

2 hours ago, Windwaver said:

It was announced in yesterday's news that only 4% of the total workforce suffered a pay cut.

Out of these 4%, some suffered up to 25% cut.

4% only but the news never report how many are out of job in the first place.

I have taken 2 days per month of compulsory no pay leave since April. Is that counted under 'pay cut' statistic?

↡ Advertisement

23 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

I have taken 2 days per month of compulsory no pay leave since April. Is that counted under 'pay cut' statistic?

What do you think and feel leh? 

Twincharged
(edited)
On 5/30/2020 at 12:49 PM, Voodooman said:

If G is paying 75% of wages and you cut the pay of your local workers by 25%, can?  

If you take JSS, any obligations not to fire workers?

currently got JSS still not so bad. 

Once that is gone, the Singaporean will start comparing and speak about inequality and pay gaps.

Right now, of cause its to save jobs.

Edited by Sdf4786k

Turbocharged
(edited)

After 6 months of shaking lampa at home, I've got an equivalent job back.

Kenna low-ball though. .

Edited by Solar
  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Solar said:

After 6 months of shaking lampa at home, I've got an equivalent job back.

Kenna low-ball though. 

IMO it's kind of short sighted for a company to do that in such a situation. The costs and trouble of going thru hiring again may not be worth it. So why low-ball in the first place. 

For sure I won't be staying there for too long..

take it as buying time and being renumerated for the short term lah

Good on you

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
Just now, RadX said:

take it as buying time and being renumerated for the short term lah

Good on you

To the other folks still looking, don't give up. Be open to downgrade a bit.

Looking back I also didn't realise it's been half a year already. 

Just be positive and balance out one's daily activities into job search, leisure, reading, family, volunteering, etc.

• Praise 8

Twincharged

I suppose when times are good, and everyone has a job, no one really bother if there is over crowding of other nationals in Singapore.

And rightfully so as we need people who can meet the requirement of skills to do the job. Singapore is also a melting pot of cosmopolitan ideas and arts. Heck we even have F1 here and MICE like Marina sands.

And even if there is a discussion, many tends to shy away from the discussion in case they are label as racist or ‎Xenophobic.

But when times are bad and the observation is there just not enough jobs for the locals is when the anxiety sets in and the comparison starts.

So now we at the junction of having a job and why with the experience and education, still unemployed.

• Praise 2

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 12:49 PM, Voodooman said:

If G is paying 75% of wages and you cut the pay of your local workers by 25%, can?  

If you take JSS, any obligations not to fire workers?

According to the JSS FAQs, the employers can choose to pay 75% of the basic pay and CPF which the 75% is the JSS receive and noted that employers still need to pay ard 17% of the CPF contribution. And I just realised that the JSS also include PRs and not just Singaoreans.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
28 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

I suppose when times are good, and everyone has a job, no one really bother if there is over crowding of other nationals in Singapore.

And rightfully so as we need people who can meet the requirement of skills to do the job. Singapore is also a melting pot of cosmopolitan ideas and arts. Heck we even have F1 here and MICE like Marina sands.

And even if there is a discussion, many tends to shy away from the discussion in case they are label as racist or ‎Xenophobic.

But when times are bad and the observation is there just not enough jobs for the locals is when the anxiety sets in and the comparison starts.

So now we at the junction of having a job and why with the experience and education, still unemployed.

I have feedback to MOM about this. When times are good and jobs are plenty, foreigner PMET are needed to help fill the shortage. Everyone's good.

But when times like this when Singaporeans are jobless, why still renew and keep these people's EP?

Shouldn't they be removed to make way for Singaporeans? Their skills aren't niche that no local can't do. Their salary attend low either. That CECA which took my job was paid even higher than me.

The ministry didn't respond to my question but instead told my career coach that was assigned by WSG to talk to me. 

What can she do? Lame..

Important is for us to stay resilient and lookout for one another, Singaporeans together. 💪

• Praise 4

Twincharged
6 minutes ago, Solar said:

I have feedback to MOM about this. When times are good and jobs are plenty, foreigner PMET are needed to help fill the shortage. Everyone's good.

But when times like this when Singaporeans are jobless, why still renew and keep these people's EP?

Shouldn't they be removed to make way for Singaporeans? Their skills aren't niche that no local can't do. Their salary attend low either. That CECA which took my job was paid even higher than me.

The ministry didn't respond to my question but instead told my career coach that was assigned by WSG to talk to me. 

What can she do? Lame..

Important is for us to stay resilient and lookout for one another, Singaporeans together. 💪

My previous complaint was similar. I ask why the company converted a 4 month old employee to perm status who had a lesser qualification more pay instead of me who was on the same team with the same job function?.

The response from MOM is, every employee career plan is govern by the company and MOM has no right to question on the autonomy of the company decision.

In your case, U lam U lor .. as well

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
14 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

My previous complaint was similar. I ask why the company converted a 4 month old employee to perm status who had a lesser qualification more pay instead of me who was on the same team with the same job function?.

The response from MOM is, every employee career plan is govern by the company and MOM has no right to question on the autonomy of the company decision.

In your case, U lam U lor .. as well

It is this half bucket kind of job from this ministry that enables such unfair practise and abuse to take place. 

We have to help ourselves. Cannot depend on ah gong.. They got "bigger picture" to look. We won't understand..

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)
1 hour ago, Solar said:

It is this half bucket kind of job from this ministry that enables such unfair practise and abuse to take place. 

We have to help ourselves. Cannot depend on ah gong.. They got "bigger picture" to look. We won't understand..

this sort of sums up the thoughts of many people.

or rather, for lack of a better word, we work hard n study and place trust in the system on meritocracy, should it not be a preferred choice as we have vested interest in the country we were born in? 

rather than have someone show a displeasure of yes we work here but our hearts n minds is back home n show a picture of a torn flag to reinforce the notion that it’s sole purpose is just to sell time to work for the country.

yes I understand. It’s all a transaction. Company pay x dollar. You work n that’s it. Just like a bus driver n passenger. I doubt the bus driver cares if you had a good day or not.

so if that’s the case, shouldn’t there be a need to relook at how we treat the working landscape?

then again there will be the killer statement. No one owes you a living. 

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
3 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

Get ready for a longer harder economic downturn, folks!

more members for my Brotherhood. 👍

Sure boh... Haha

US just released excellent job report... V shaped recovery!

58 minutes ago, Scion said:

Sure boh... Haha

US just released excellent job report... V shaped recovery!

I was talking about Singapore actually.  And the US jobs report improvement is just logical. However note that it is double digit unemeployment still.  I am quite invested so tomorrow i probably wake up to my Portfolio gaining another $40-50k if the US market stays as it is right now.

the bigger concern is motherland Singapore and the loss of jobs vs the gain of jobs Is unequal from a dollar perspective.

1 high value job lost today WILL NOT bring along the same high value job won.  Which only means a shrinkage of the economy

Huat ah!

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
10 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

1 high value job lost today WILL NOT bring along the same high value job won.  Which only means a shrinkage of the economy

Ya man.. the statistic only show how many job created/secured but never mention on the quality/worth of such job against what been lost/replaced.

• Sad 1

i on the way to lobo-ing

it's a quite a while coming to MCF...looks good and all regulars still around...and yes, it's still bouncing

On 6/5/2020 at 7:27 PM, Throttle2 said:

Get ready for a longer harder economic downturn, folks!

more members for my Brotherhood. 👍

u already lobo liao?

↡ Advertisement