COVID-19: Retrenchments

Albeniz

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

I also bounce back from retrenchment, but they didnt feature me becos i remained jobless.....so deemed failure lah.... very unfair...

You bounce back from retrenchment direct into retirement.  Not easily replicated by most, so no point to feature you.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

I also bounce back from retrenchment, but they didnt feature me becos i remained jobless.....so deemed failure lah.... very unfair...

U self employed ... can claim 3k from gov 😄🍻🍻🍻

• Haha! 2

16 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

One of my customer (EU freight biz) told  me air freight is booming ... i was like , u sure 😂

Cargo maybe.i also don't know.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
11 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Cargo maybe.i also don't know.

Air cargo, maybe. As we know, the maritime industry is also not so affected.

More people doing online purchase? [laugh] 

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

Air cargo, maybe. As we know, the maritime industry is also not so affected.

More people doing online purchase? [laugh] 

Read that there is a certain load carried by passenger carriers is now fulfilled by cargo carriers, leading to boom. 

Think FedEx, dhl is doing quite well. 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Icedbs said:

You bounce back from retrenchment direct into retirement.  Not easily replicated by most, so no point to feature you.

Wah like that not fair leh.... i work so many odd jobs....

1 hour ago, Angcheek said:

U self employed ... can claim 3k from gov 😄🍻🍻🍻

Zhun boh?  Never got so much cash from govt before. Wow, will probably fall into coma of happiness getting back a teeny weeny fraction of money which i have given over the years

• Haha! 1

Something interesting or to some it's not new.. However this post suddenly make it think of, I think government should make it as easy as possible for businesses to be able to shift their business model where they deem fit or for survival based on the supply demand trends. It is always the government that put up barrier that is the problem that make it harder to do business what more if would to switch business model that is completely different from what they are doing now. Although singapore currently is quite business friendly, I am sure there are still ways for government to make it even easier for business to make business transition to other areas they want to focus or tap into. 

Edited by Yewheng

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/national-wages-council-jobs-retrenchments-covid-19-mom-12986422

This article, if read deep.. It is somewhat quite funny.. Coz it seems like the government and ntuc Union are telling business what to do, like cost savings measures also need them to to tell companies what to do? Then is there any mention of government to review on what need to be reduced in which regulations that hinder business operation to have more breathing space to tide over this difficult period? No right? So this approach is like government telling companies.. Hey you need to cut this expenses, have you cut this expenses before looking at retrench people? Like as if companies never thought of that? Why not for government to say look, what can we do to reduce in regulations to help businesses to tide over this difficult period? 

Edited by Yewheng

Most businesses in Singapore don't require much licensing, perhaps except food, medical and anything that may impact the environment. Companies are free to change their businesses. The question is, can the company compete and do well in the new area. Eg. Media company venturing into aged care. Or student dorms. 

Of course restrictions on FW applies differently for different sectors.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

24 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Most businesses in Singapore don't require much licensing, perhaps except food, medical and anything that may impact the environment. Companies are free to change their businesses. The question is, can the company compete and do well in the new area. Eg. Media company venturing into aged care. Or student dorms. 

Of course restrictions on FW applies differently for different sectors.

Not just licencing.. Its other regulatory requirements. Maybe next time when they visit and talk to business owner.. Instead of asking.. Have you look at freezing bonus, have you look at shifting some to do part time temporary and etc to see whether this business had exhausted all the options and then say okay no choice retrenchment.. They should actually ask business Ower.. What are the regulations that you guys think can improved or removed so that we could help you guys business owner to have much better breathing space. All these have you look to freeze bonus, how you look into temporary shift some to part time and etc.. These these things no need government ask, they would already thought of that. It is those that companies had actually thought of doing but then it is regulatory requirements that hinder them from doing it, that is the one that government should focus on. 

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement