COVID-19: Retrenchments

Albeniz

On 9/21/2020 at 9:25 PM, Icedbs said:

Strangely, I did not encounter or witness the above from any salespeople or bankers despite knowing many of them in my course of work.

Perhaps I did not mix enough with bad company of people.

I think most locals working in FIs are honest.

The problem comes when an SAR/STR is raised and people expect the authorities to work on it BUT some banks or bankers may still go ahead and process the transaction.

For the FIs, it's business needs but the authorities need time to investigate, that's the issue.

↡ Advertisement

6 hours ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Why cannot?

Why worry about keeping your reputation amongst foreigners when you can't even do right for citizens?

Don't need to worry about these fellas becoming big shot or political leader? Quite difficult for them to do so when they go home without a degree. But anyway, since when does the govt play toto with our money? Why not spend this 200mil/yr on locals? Maybe they can also become a big shot or political leader one day.

Schemes like ASEAN scholarship have been there since the birth of the nation.

And I do know good people from neighbouring countries who have come and study because of these schemes and become citizens or contributors to society.

Do not confuse real good talent (from overseas) that we nurture from school days and CECAians coming in from south asia degree mills.

• Praise 7

i have never seen a foreign scholar from a poor background 

those awarded these scholarships do not need the financial help in the first place.  they got it through information and network which poor but good people will never have access to in their home countries 

are we really helping the poor from these countries through these schemes or just for the sake of reputation of our country?

😬

• Praise 2

10 minutes ago, Enye said:

those awarded these scholarships do not need the financial help in the first place.  they got it through information and network which poor but good people will never have access to in their home countries 

are we really helping the poor from these countries through these schemes or just for the sake of reputation of our country?

😬

If the talents come with network, isn't it a bargain? 

17 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Schemes like ASEAN scholarship have been there since the birth of the nation.

And I do know good people from neighbouring countries who have come and study because of these schemes and become citizens or contributors to society.

Do not confuse real good talent (from overseas) that we nurture from school days and CECAians coming in from south asia degree mills.

Real Talent Scholars shouldn't have problem finding a job in Singapore after graduation to full-fill their bonds but those "fake talent" who come here to study and end up having average or worse results than Singaporeans. 

11 minutes ago, Enye said:

😬

Every year many countries will have overseas university fair just like here also have uni fair from US, UK, OZ, etc. 

NUS/NTU will recruit overseas students at these events, which some could be poor or not so well off.

18 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

They also learn and fine-tune the framing along the way.

56 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

good, should hv tightened it long ago.

in fact, should not give to any applicant who owns a private property. 

Tighten it more.  Dont raid our reserves!

yalor ... some amdk land ... getting covid-19 support "salary" is better than go to work ... [mad] 

stay home netflix and have beer ... 

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Kopites said:

Creating job is one thing.. creating Quality Job is another.. 

in terms of quantity look promising.. BUT take for example 500 lost their job where avg salary say $5000 and creating 50 jobs that pay $2000 or less? only those in White will say "GOOD Job!, we done it! " 😂

• Praise 5

38 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

Creating job is one thing.. creating Quality Job is another.. 

in terms of quantity look promising.. BUT take for example 500 lost their job where avg salary say $5000 and creating 50 jobs that pay $2000 or less? only those in White will say "GOOD Job!, we done it! " 😂

That article did also stated one very disheartening point.

We singaporean now depend on foreigners for creation of job!😬

• Haha! 1

Just now, Kopites said:

Actually for my case is true lah.. when i was retrenched back in 2008 i was jobless till 2010.. until my current company give me the chance to join them.

My industry was very new in Sg then.. so need their expertise to run it.. good thing is as the years goes by.. permits holder are gradually released and Singaporean took over their position. So certain industries we do need them for startup here.

• Praise 3

4 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Yeah, more foreigners, more Customs Immigration staff, more MOM staff to check on them, more police to patrol, more prosecutors to deal with the law breaking ones, and more staff for the politicians to write reasons why foreigners create jobs for us! 

• Haha! 3

3 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Yeah, more foreigners, more Customs Immigration staff, more MOM staff to check on them, more police to patrol, more prosecutors to deal with the law breaking ones, and more staff for the politicians to write reasons why foreigners create jobs for us! 

Those are essential civil services regardless of nationality they must be available.

What I meant was self sustainable economic growth. What brought us to a state where we need the import of foreigner to create job market for local? Couldnt we local "create" our own job market?

55 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Those are essential civil services regardless of nationality they must be available.

What I meant was self sustainable economic growth. What brought us to a state where we need the import of foreigner to create job market for local? Couldnt we local "create" our own job market?

I read that 99% of the companies in Singapore are SME and employs around 75% of the workforce . That would means that the 1% which i suppose are MNC employs the remaining 25% of the workforce .  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1