COVID-19: Retrenchments

Albeniz

I really cannot sleep.... 

I am working in AMDK MNC.....

Many years now.... 

Where SG GOV signed many many bilateral treaties......... 

We need them, they need us.... 

I got AMDK boss and AMDK junior peers. 

All are fine.... Until their position are in under scrutiny.... 

My AMDK junior peer try to consolidate his contribution.... 

We had outsourced most of the lower level jobs to 3rd party.... 

Most are slowly attrited .... 

These are Pioneer and Merdeka generation staff.... 

Had to let them go bcos ROI not there.... 

Ecommerce taken over etc..... 

Just cut away these people and divert the spend $$$$ on these ecommerce partners.... 

We can forsake these lower level jobs..... 

Am I holding too much sentiments to protect jobs for these people or should I go with the flow?

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha! 2

5 hours ago, Atonchia said:

Many years now.... 

Just cut away these people and divert the spend $$$$ on these ecommerce partners.... 

Am I holding too much sentiments to protect jobs for these people or should I go with the flow?

If u look at the Japanese bank, cultural wise, they still need to feel great to have office “no” deliver documents from one supervisor cubicle to the next. Just so that the rubber stamp and signature of receipt is there. Is that really necessary in this day and age?. No. But if you discard that “service” how will the foreign be able to get their on line delivery send to the office? 😂. Certain things are there not because of jobs retention. More of convenience 

6 hours ago, Atonchia said:

Many years now.... 

Tough decision. It is normal to not sleep well, it means you are not a sociopath. 

These are people with families and some may really need the job but then human lives have been sacrificed for much less. 

I know of someone who quit his job during this period coz he refused to be the one issuing the pink slips to people he has known for years. Others will happily do it by putting on (hiding behind) their corporate hat.

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Tough decision. It is normal to not sleep well, it means you are not a sociopath. 

These are people with families and some may really need the job but then human lives have been sacrificed for much less. 

I know of someone who quit his job during this period coz he refused to be the one issuing the pink slips to people he has known for years. Others will happily do it by putting on (hiding behind) their corporate hat.

someone have to go and someone have to do the job, no one is to be blame to do either.

some time the one who issue the pink slip keep the last pink slip for himself.

when you understand this is part and parcel of life and work, no one owe no one anything.

• Praise 6
  • Sad 1

Well, during this time, can see all the leadership pattern appearing.

all of a sudden a recent promoted director ft pmet who was supposed to be performing well can be retrenched. And he is like a stand alone server doing everything.

And all the others who get to work n pick up the Sai Kang that the guy did not perform get to clean up his dooda..

i suppose that’s part of job creation for the locals. 😂 

6 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

someone have to go and someone have to do the job, no one is to be blame to do either.

when you understand this is part and parcel of life and work, no one owe no one anything.

I think it part of a true leader to have conscience and when a pink slip is issue to the person he works with for years, it can come across as betrayal of the principles behind it. 

we are not paper general that command and control statistical numbers to get results. So we never ever perform task in a transactional way.

of course the easier way  would be to leave the difficult decision to the hr or the union to manage in most part of the world. 

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

Yes, for a small cog in the system, if you don't do it, someone will.

For leaders? 

Some people build careers on cutting headcount. They are called great CEOs in America.  Some tried hard by redeployment, retraining and targeting new growth segments to minimize job loss. They are almost always never recognized.  

Part and parcel of life and work is just a convenient excuse for many leaders these days for their own failure (maybe not for covid retrenchment). 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

Some people build careers on cutting headcount. They are called great CEOs in America.  

Singapore also have one such "great CEO". 

He made one SG shipping line "great again"

Now repeating that with a big SG media company.

• Haha! 2

Gone are the days where people can soon soon stay put in one company for their entire career. We have to accept the fact that retrenchment is part and parcel of career now.

Last time people desire to enter Oil and Gas industry working for big petroleum company, woon woon jiak bee hoon till retirement, enjoying high bonuses and benefit.

Who have ever imagined that Oil and Gas sector can one day chui like now, with all the big petroleum companies cutting jobs and talking about transformation.  The same goes to working as pilot for local airline. I also thot working as pilot is woon woon jiak bee hoon with high pay good benefit. 

Edited by Roh96

21 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Singapore also have one such "great CEO". 

He made one SG shipping line "great again"

Now repeating that with a big SG media company.

These days CEO who cuts headcount to have more money for share buyback to boost the value of their own stock options usually get 3 stars rating. 😂

1 minute ago, Roh96 said:

Gone are the days where people can soon soon stay put in one company for their entire career. We have to accept the fact that retrenchment is part can parcel of career now.

Last time people desire to enter Oil and Gas industry working for big petroleum company, woon woon jiak bee hoon till retirement, enjoying high bonuses and benefit.

Who have ever imagined that Oil and Gas sector can one day chui like now, with all the big petroleum companies cutting jobs and talking about transformation.  The same goes to working as pilot for local airline. I also thot working as pilot is woon woon jiak bee hoon with high pay good benefit. 

That is true. Economic and technology cycle are quicker than ever before and competition is intense. No easy solution. 

When PAP runs SG like Singapore Inc, everyone kpkb. G needs to take care of all stakeholders, not just business, etc etc.

For corporate, it is just business, no emotion. People are just equipment, not stakeholders, 

The future is quite bleak for next generation as automation, digitalization and AI kill more jobs.

3 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

If u look at the Japanese bank, cultural wise, they still need to feel great to have office “no” deliver documents from one supervisor cubicle to the next. Just so that the rubber stamp and signature of receipt is there. Is that really necessary in this day and age?. No. But if you discard that “service” how will the foreign be able to get their on line delivery send to the office? 😂. Certain things are there not because of jobs retention. More of convenience 

Some job scope are redundant in current digital age. I agree on the part the these jobs need to go. 

But I feel bad on having some job functions to be cut where they still add both intrinsic and tangible value to the business. 

The cost saving of cutting the jobs were just to make the people managing them look good due to cost saving and redivert the amount to the growing digital platform. 

Key is... they still add value in business sense. 

• Praise 4

I just went for my monthly grocery ration delivery. 

One family with Autistic child and one young toddler. Wife working in nearby retail.

Hubby need to take care of kids. He found job as delivery man and signed on letter of acceptance. Stating as 5.5 days. However after starting HR told him there is a mistake need to change to 6 days. Reprinted new letter of acceptance to replace the original and wanted him to tear away the original. 

He needed to be home at Saturday afternoon to take care of kids while wife go afternoon shift. 

So he said cannot work on Saturday afternoon and need to resign. Now the company chasing him for 2 weeks compensation from him bcos he only work 5 days in lieu of notice. 

I told him to check with MOM.. He said hotline cannot get through.. 

Then I suggested him to look for MP ask for help to stop the company on chasing him of the 2 week compensation. 

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, Atonchia said:

Some job scope are redundant in current digital age. I agree on the part the these jobs need to go. 

But I feel bad on having some job functions to be cut where they still add both intrinsic and tangible value to the business. 

The cost saving of cutting the jobs were just to make the people managing them look good due to cost saving and redivert the amount to the growing digital platform. 

Key is... they still add value in business sense. 

This I fully agree.. how do u get a country whose people and universities are rank 1st in the country but global rank 501 . Has more holidays than Singapore . Has one of the worst track record in IT infrastructure .

Cannot meet most SLA. Yet considered best in class for IT support?. 

during this covid situation. It’s time to own up the problem and start from a clean slate.

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

I just went for my monthly grocery ration delivery. 

One family with Autistic child and one young toddler. Wife working in nearby retail.

Hubby need to take care of kids. He found job as delivery man and signed on letter of acceptance. Stating as 5.5 days. However after starting HR told him there is a mistake need to change to 6 days. Reprinted new letter of acceptance to replace the original and wanted him to tear away the original. 

He needed to be home at Saturday afternoon to take care of kids while wife go afternoon shift. 

So he said cannot work on Saturday afternoon and need to resign. Now the company chasing him for 2 weeks compensation from him bcos he only work 5 days in lieu of notice. 

I told him to check with MOM.. He said hotline cannot get through.. 

Then I suggested him to look for MP ask for help to stop the company on chasing him of the 2 week compensation. 

is the family under any social aid or social worker assign to them? can let the social worker liaise with the agencies.

but if I were him, since haven't worked a single day, just ignore.

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

is the family under any social aid or social worker assign to them? can let the social worker liaise with the agencies.

but if I were him, since haven't worked a single day, just ignore.

He did worked a few days. 

Until HR told him must work Saturday full day. 

The only social worker/agencies they met were MINDS because the kid was autistic so went to the school previously. That's why also referred to the organisation I am volunteering for grocery deliveries. 

Think he was more concern the company going to chase him for the 2 weeks pay..in lieu of resignation notice. 

Have a feeling more economic troubles are going to ensue once Gov support starts to end. 

More companies start to outsource job functions out. So incumbent become redundant. 

Another family I deliver ration also ask if can, recommend job to the son... just completed NSF. Think I should ask him to sign up with WSG. Currently doing odd job with food deliveries. 

GIG economy becoming more obvious now. 

An friend in mid 50s also just shared his employer also outsource the sales ops team to 3rd party, so whole team made redundant. Probably only a few will be transferred to new service provider. Most will need to start looking for new jobs. 

↡ Advertisement