COVID-19: Retrenchments

Albeniz

What car? I give him a good price. 

:D

"For one pilot, having to take a pay cut has forced him to resort to borrowing money to keep his children in overseas universities. He is also trying to sell his car.

The 50-year-old pilot who declined to be named has been with the airline for 27 years."

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

14 hours ago, Windwaver said:

I still remember the first time I had that feeling you described. No way around it unless you call the shots or the company's yours to begin with.

It took me some time to get around that reality and it benefited me later down my career being on the receiving end, not once but thrice and on two occasions, it was because big boss (personal decision) wanted somebody he knows to replace me (the only other occasion is truly a business decision, not a personal one) . My direct boss fought so hard (amazingly a foreigner) and got me a good package and we're still good friends to this day because I wasn't the one that screwed up.

I have every reason to believe most 'retrenchments' are personal agendas but I've also accepted that's reality.

If we exclude high SES ivory tower people that will never be threatened, people like us will need to adapt quickly all our lives. If we don't, we'll just be left behind.

Rather than being salty over situations, I choose to adapt and move with times because the world's never a fair place.

agree totally, you are paid to do YOUR job, if it comes with good boss good company then it is a bonus.

Do not expect a fair play in real world and blame the 'leader' or the system, when things doesn't go my way, either adapt or make it your way! it leader not good, you work hard and take over his job or become a leader that how you want it to be. If not quit every time until you find the ideal 'leader' you want to work for.

• Praise 2

36 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

agree totally, you are paid to do YOUR job, if it comes with good boss good company then it is a bonus.

Do not expect a fair play in real world and blame the 'leader' or the system, when things doesn't go my way, either adapt or make it your way! it leader not good, you work hard and take over his job or become a leader that how you want it to be. If not quit every time until you find the ideal 'leader' you want to work for.

Yup its only business.  But we are only humans...

• Praise 1

50 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

"For one pilot, having to take a pay cut has forced him to resort to borrowing money to keep his children in overseas universities. He is also trying to sell his car.

The 50-year-old pilot who declined to be named has been with the airline for 27 years."

Poor chap - as a pilot for so long, he is unlikely to have any other work skills. 

Is it an AMG? 

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

I can't agree here. We are indeed paid to do our job but it is not a bonus to have good boss good company. It should be seen as a package.

Sometimes we are willing to take less pay if there is a good boss/company. Some bosses/company, you can't pay me enough to work there.

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

Bugger still earning 13k still dare kpkb

8 minutes ago, Scion said:

Bugger still earning 13k still dare kpkb

Please be more sympathatic. Fella is at wits end!

“My monthly expenses add up to over S$19,000 a month and it’s not the right time to give up my stocks and bonds and sell my properties because I’ll get nothing. I’ll get a second job, I’ll sell my clothes if I have to,” he said.

Poor fella needs to sell his clothes already - soon will be running around naked.

• Praise 1

expenses = $19K

based on T2 formula ... if you can afford only 1 x Patek, buy a SS Lolex ... 

this means his monthly income previously is $50K minimum?

Edited by Wt_know
  • Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

expenses = $19K

based on T2 formula ... if you can afford only 1 x Patek, buy a SS Lolex ... 

this means his monthly income previously is $50K minimum?

I wouldn't put any weight on dunno what t2 formula.

But the pilot chap stated his previous income is 23k. (https://www.malaymail.com/news/singapore/2020/09/28/one-sees-his-flying-dream-cut-short-other-sia-pilots-become-delivery-driver/1907303). Think he bit off more than he can chew if his expenses are the kind that can't be quickly scaled down.

More importantly, he is 50 years old (what is retirement age for pilots?) so should be approaching retirement and have more savings? I can understand a new pilot not having enough savings but for someone on the verge of retirement? 

Edited by ToyotaShuttle

35 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

I can't agree here. We are indeed paid to do our job but it is not a bonus to have good boss good company. It should be seen as a package.

Sometimes we are willing to take less pay if there is a good boss/company. Some bosses/company, you can't pay me enough to work there.

in a real world, things dun drop on your lap, either you work hard or you pray hard.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Tkseah said:

And gov using our money to pay his salary... 😡

he can also say ... it his many years tax paying money ... [sly] 

Edited by Wt_know

6 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

in a real world, things dun drop on your lap, either you work hard or you pray hard.

I also agree with you. Things won't drop it your lap.

What I disagree about is calling it a bonus. In addition to work hard and pray hard, I also suggest to look hard. If the company is lousy then be prepared to ditch it - work hard and pray hard in a lousy company or under a lousy boss is no use.

31 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Please be more sympathatic. Fella is at wits end!

Poor fella needs to sell his clothes already - soon will be running around naked.

Got SQ girl selling bra/panty? my fren asking

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Haha! 1

40 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

make $23k, expenses $19k ... orbigood ... 

Yeah, I read that article.

I wonder what's the point about the article, mock at low SES people?

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/one-sees-his-flying-dream-cut-short-other-sia-pilots-become-delivery-drivers-retire-early

For one pilot, having to take a pay cut has forced him to resort to borrowing money to keep his children in overseas universities. He is also trying to sell his car.

The 50-year-old pilot who declined to be named has been with the airline for 27 years. He told TODAY that he is cash-strapped because the money he has earned during the span of his career has been invested in properties, stocks and bonds.

On average, he used to earn S$23,000 a month compared to S$13,000 these days.

“My monthly expenses add up to over S$19,000 a month and it’s not the right time to give up my stocks and bonds and sell my properties because I’ll get nothing. I’ll get a second job, I’ll sell my clothes if I have to,” he said.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3