COVID-19: Retrenchments

Albeniz

1 minute ago, Wt_know said:

bro your example is more towards FW leh

FT especially thise earning $5K and above their attitude is very ngeow and also many jiak liao bee one hor 

Nay bro.. my example all smelly smelly 4k n above, hit >5k in no time for them but the point is always the same, we very hard to compete with them n we do so now cos garment tighten foreigner hiring requirements, so in a sense we r kind of like beggar in our own country.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 1

Supersonic
(edited)

wah … that means atas FT smelly smelly $20K a pop and live in $1.5M condo? :secret-laugh:

i mean atas FT hor … not Elite yet … lol

Edited by Wt_know

On 5/6/2021 at 7:01 AM, Freeder said:

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/foreigners-needed-fill-singapore-tech-jobs-crunch-says-mas-chief

Meaning Sinkies buay sai ?

Ask HIM to tell this to Other countries...

Really WTF with such mindset from a CEO.. 

I find it's an oversight or loss of focus a decade or so ago when we first talked about economical transformation across many sectors and industries in the 90s...education side particularly vocational aspect of it couldn't or didn't switch focus fast enough to meet today's demand of talent pool. Therefore, the short term immediate solution is to search outward...then covid came knocking on our door...lagi stretched our talent supply chain...business waits for nobody or they'll move to oversea...with costs as primary concern. 

For eg, coding in primary school level only started a couple of years back and how long would it take to train this group of locals up for the job that's in much demand today? Next question is would it still be by the time they join the workforce...?

Another eg, EDB did that with the opening up of media industry to attract many oversea companies to setup shop here...our poly and uni produced enough talents to take up the newly created jobs...then it hit bottleneck and couldn't grow further...many turned to part time, freelance basis or further their studies...

Foreign talents appear more hungry, more hardworking etc...but I dare say our local ones are just as good...it'll be the reverse when our talents go to work in other countries and they'll be seemed as more hardworking and hungry to excel. 

However, after a while...FT would also be "colonised" by the global yolo mindset...so same same everywhere when time is stretched...😅

The challenge and priority is to get as many quality companies for sustainable growth potential as we can to set up shop here then resolve the talent pool challenge, seems to be the order of importance to our top policy makers...only if our education side is more proactive with foresight to keep up with the industry demand for the future jobs. I have, however, mixed feelings with the focus on nursing and child care education...anyway...

Our future generations need all that including the 'can-do' attitude that our forefathers have shown us how they managed to overcome all the challenges in the past. 

God bless Singapura, our beloved homeland 🙏

Footnote

At first I also wondered why would a MD from MAS made comment on Labour issue? 🤔 Then read the entire writing...

...hai yah...just to explain indirectly why we need ceca lah...banking industry is moving towards digitalised model with huge growth potential in various markets...need to establish the infrastructure fast and furious or miss the golden bandwagon...

over valued local banks...? Buy on the dip...DOU in that order...😁

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Covid-19 test providers see spike in demand after S'pore tightens restrictions

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/consumer/covid-19-test-providers-see-spike-in-demand-after-spore-tightens-restrictions

"Providers of pre-event testing (PET) for Covid-19 are ramping up resources and hiring or training more staff as they handle a spike in demand."

How to apply? 

Turbocharged
(edited)
On 5/6/2021 at 7:01 AM, Freeder said:

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/foreigners-needed-fill-singapore-tech-jobs-crunch-says-mas-chief

Meaning Sinkies buay sai ?

Ask HIM to tell this to Other countries...

Really WTF with such mindset from a CEO.. 

Using foreigners to fill up gaps in skillset should be a short term solution, not a long term one. But this "foreigners to fill in gaps" solution has been going on for years and years in the financial sector.  And after all these years, they are still saying Singaporeans has a skillset gap.

So my question is...what has it been done during those years to ramp up Singaporean skillset in the financial sector so that more  financial industry jobs can be filled by locals?

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

On 5/6/2021 at 8:25 AM, Wt_know said:

wah … that means atas FT smelly smelly $20K a pop and live in $1.5M condo? :secret-laugh:

i mean atas FT hor … not Elite yet … lol

Of course.

if FT dont even earn at least $20k per month, come here and plunder for what? 
🤣😅

Anyway, If by end of Jun if got no major retrenchment then we are out of the woods for 2021 at least.....

hope more to join my Brotherhood though 

Turbocharged
9 hours ago, inlinesix said:

😂

C01A8817-554A-4192-A32F-D8DA53E82F5A.jpeg

prob is..

construction workers are still sourced from cheap South Asia, but BTO and property prices still go up significantly in recent years

• Praise 4

Turbocharged
(edited)
2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

@Scion you tell them lo

You so worried price of land going up when it comes to paying worker better... how about worrying about price of land going up because of foreign property speculators? Look at price of HDB from 2000 to now... that one come from where? Certainly not from paying construction worker more. How come we never caution all against this rise?

(Hint: look at pegging HDB to private market, and private market linked to foreign speculator)

Edited by yishunite
  • Praise 2

22 minutes ago, yishunite said:

You so worried price of land going up when it comes to paying worker better... how about worrying about price of land going up because of foreign property speculators? Look at price of HDB from 2000 to now... that one come from where? Certainly not from paying construction worker more. How come we never caution all against this rise?

(Hint: look at pegging HDB to private market, and private market linked to foreign speculator)

Paying worker more will not increase land price (NOT HDB price).

Moreover, price of NEW HDB does not correlate to the construction cost.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
3 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Paying worker more will not increase land price (NOT HDB price).

Moreover, price of NEW HDB does not correlate to the construction cost.

Yet that is exactly what SMRT feedback trying to claim

(edited)

Recently team up with a few friends to buy 50 used but working laptops and donate them to students who are affected by Covid but could not afford a laptop to do their home based learning. Covid 19 caught all of us by surprise,  the less lucky ones lost their jobs and some may run into financial difficulties . I feel blessed to be able to offer a small help. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 15

Turbocharged
On 5/13/2021 at 7:46 AM, Scion said:

prob is..

construction workers are still sourced from cheap South Asia, but BTO and property prices still go up significantly in recent years

True but entirely the key reason. Lower skill mean more for less and quality. Many middleman will be out of job.these are not directly those supplying but transportation,  housing, food, etc. 

We would still need FW but very much less than what we have now with higher skilled. Then local would want to be part of this industry when it can compete with delivery income.

Turbocharged

Not talking about retrenchment but job availability for the young graduates.. "Flexible Employment".. same same (but different) from our PHV, GrabFood etc?

Long in my opinion that job created cannot much the education status.. I hire people with honor degree just to do service.. greeting guest, perform membership, counter service.. something wrong tio boh? Likewise these people are non related field of studies.. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1