COVID-19: Retrenchments

Albeniz

3 hours ago, Starry said:

I never understood why people must  behave like it is the end of the world when they got retrench. I mean are these people on zero savings and they gonna sleep on the streets? They have a few months of severance pay...use the time to go relax, bond with family, do the things that they don't have the time to do previously.  There is a whole new world out there now to explore! New opportunities to try something else!

I even read some postings on social media like how to emotionally deal with retrenchment.  I mean come on......it is just a job! It is not cancer!

It can be very serious if you are the only breadwinner for the family and you are in your fifties. Like someone once told me, you can be pretty and sexy when young, you got married and gave birth to children.l and stayed home to take care for the family. Then you reach 50+, your husband now want a young and sexy, you have no woman chapter in MOM hor.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

20 hours ago, Victor68 said:

It can be very serious if you are the only breadwinner for the family and you are in your fifties. Like someone once told me, you can be pretty and sexy when young, you got married and gave birth to children.l and stayed home to take care for the family. Then you reach 50+, your husband now want a young and sexy, you have no woman chapter in MOM hor.

It can be serious yes.

but as sole breadwinner and in 50s, onr should already hv planned before hand expecting such to happen. 50s is most vulnerable age.

i was sole bread winner since my thirties and was retrenched in my forties, shiok man.     

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

It can be serious yes.

but as sole breadwinner and in 50s, onr should already hv planned before hand expecting such to happen. 50s is most vulnerable age.

i was sole bread winner since my thirties and was retrenched in my forties, shiok man.     

Not everyone is able to 'plan' for it when you live from hand to mouth type. Someone did says, 48 is a dangerous year for guy. Yeah, if you have prepared well, the change can be a good thing.

• Praise 2

On 12/18/2022 at 10:20 AM, Scion said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/meta-facebook-staff-laid-retrenched-employment-passes-3149551

29yo CECA HR job in Facebook with 100k annual

tio pok cry father cry mother *can't even buy a Christmas tree*

wtf man

no Singaporeans can do this job?

100k change to ceca dollars is alot leh. esp for a 29yr old. of coz cry father cry mother. 

Meta is well known to pay top dollars for "talents". 

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 4

If you ever visit Meta and you are a Singapore citizen, you will realize you are in foreign land. I am sure they aren't the only one with this special arrangement here. 

• Shocked 1

On 12/25/2022 at 6:39 PM, Starry said:

key word is talents... referring to the top tier ones 😁

those average tech people can keep their jobs already tao chio liao

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Scion said:

key word is talents... referring to the top tier ones 😁

those average tech people can keep their jobs already tao chio liao

Top tier means? Can talk or can work. Can work means worker 😆

Edited by Victor68

22 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Top tier means? Can talk or can work. Can work means worker 😆

Top tier means got the ability to smoke their way through, can deliver the work are usually  the lower tiers 😂 

Edited by Ginyu
  • Haha! 3

Haiz. Sad to hear a retrenchment story today on 30th dec. Just a day b4 new yr.

Bintai announces insolvancy n retrenchment.

Many sub cons and suppliers kena. Haiz.

Prob investigators can do some proper investigations as its kinda preplanned moved by top management.

• Shocked 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Spurman said:

Prob investigators can do some proper investigations as its kinda preplanned moved by top management.

who is Bintai?  

Edited by Starry

1 hour ago, Starry said:

who is Bintai?  

Those in M&E and construction will know.

Considered one of the big big players. With resort world sentosa as one of their biggest project completed.

• Praise 2

On 12/30/2022 at 7:44 PM, Spurman said:

Insolvency? So bad?

company gone down just like that?

all the employees jiak kakee liao

hopefully didnt go and buy property and car and rolex

Many caught by covid and after that sudden increase in manpower and material costs. Contracts are awarded pre-covid. Ex-gratia is not a norm as developer also suffers. It is a chain reaction and probably more to come. 

34 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Many caught by covid and after that sudden increase in manpower and material costs. Contracts are awarded pre-covid. Ex-gratia is not a norm as developer also suffers. It is a chain reaction and probably more to come

The sudden surge in fuel oil prices eat into my operating profit for calender year 2022 by about 80%. 🤔 

Bonus likely to be worse then 2021 or totally nil.   😓

Just now, Kopites said:

The sudden surge in fuel oil prices eat into my operating profit for calender year 2022 by about 80%. 🤔 

Bonus likely to be worse then 2021 or totally nil.   😓

These are man made and when fuel cost goes up, many others follow. We could be living in a better life but deprive by people with bad motives. karma befall on them soon. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

These are man made and when fuel cost goes up, many others follow. We could be living in a better life but deprive by people with bad motives. karma befall on them soon. 

Karma don't pay @Kopites bonus

😂

↡ Advertisement