2021 Acura TLX unveiling

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator
16 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Look plain Jane when compared to Stinger

I just don't like the interior. hahha. like too many things going on liao.

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
20 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Look plain Jane when compared to Stinger

Honda don't pay their designers much [laugh]

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Spring said:

Acura is the luxury brand of Honda right?

So this car will not come here?

yeah nope.

Acura only has a market in America. 

Their RDX is probably selling well though.

Edited by Lala81

Hypersonic
29 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I just don't like the interior. hahha. like too many things going on liao.

Same interior styling as the RDX. 

Hmm Honda just have functional interiors. Buttons where they are supposed to be. Style... none lol.

My car the speedometer numbers are so big, really like for ah pek, cant see clearly type... [laugh]

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
52 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Same interior styling as the RDX. 

Hmm Honda just have functional interiors. Buttons where they are supposed to be. Style... none lol.

My car the speedometer numbers are so big, really like for ah pek, cant see clearly type... [laugh]

They should poach some from Volvo interior styling team. I like how minimalistic Volvo interior is.

Hypersonic
(edited)
17 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

They should poach some from Volvo interior styling team. I like how minimalistic Volvo interior is.

hmm it's the antithesis of what Honda is. Honda is "if the button is supposed to be there, it will be"
If the driver wants a cubbyhole to be there, it will be there. Function over form. Aesthetics will always be a long way down the list.

They brought back the volume, then tuning knob few years ago. My 2012 version car has no volume/tuning knob. It came back with successive generations. Even though singaporeans find such things sibei antiquated. But that's what Americans wanted.

If u never driven in america or australia to some extent, u won't understand why someone needs a tuning knob.[laugh]

To require to change menu to set AC temperature or fan speed is crap.

Edited by Lala81
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

hmm it's the antithesis of what Honda is. Honda is "if the button is supposed to be there, it will be"
If the driver wants a cubbyhole to be there, it will be there. Function over form. Aesthetics will always be a long way down the list.

They brought back the volume, then tuning knob few years ago. My 2012 version car has no volume/tuning knob. It came back with successive generations. Even though singaporeans find such things sibei antiquated. But that's what Americans wanted.

If u never driven in america or australia to some extent, u won't understand why someone needs a tuning knob.[laugh]

Okay. true that. Then maybe I have some American blood inside me too. I die die want my headunit to have tuning knob. So I bought the Sony XAV200 🤣

ef90f87ae1e235688a8adb4be0c78eed?fmt=pjp

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
6 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Okay. true that. Then maybe I have some American blood inside me too. I die die want my headunit to have tuning knob. So I bought the Sony XAV200 🤣

ef90f87ae1e235688a8adb4be0c78eed?fmt=pjp

Tuning knob in singapore? Haha bit extra leh if u have Headunit controls on your steering wheel.

Your car should already have channel/volume buttons on your steering wheel? Or maybe dont have cos it's JDM or non integrated HU.

Edited by Lala81

Internal Moderator
6 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Tuning knob in singapore? Haha bit extra leh if u have Headunit controls on your steering wheel.

Your car should already have channel/volume buttons on your steering wheel? Or maybe dont have cos it's JDM or non integrated HU.

Don't my steering wheel is 100% just steering wheel with a defected takata airbag somemore. hahaha.

• Haha! 1

I dont understand why car makers want to put the sport mode deep inside the infotainment unit. What's wrong with a physical button?

Same thing with 4x4. First they do away with the low range and high range shift lever with knobs and give them snow/gravel/mud/sand/shit. Now they put it also deep in the infotainment unit to select low range settings. Why?

This isnt advance technology. It's dumb. Distract the driver by fiddling with the infotainment unit.

Acura designs is so americano. The front looks weird and ugly from a certain angle and the back look like Renault. 

GenX Civics is UK Swindon design? 

Can Honda Japan please ownself come up with designs for Civics and Accords. 

Bring back the Euro R please.  Missed the simple and contemporary designs of the previous generations. 

😁

• Praise 2

“Most emotional design” ?

Doesn’t work for me.Maybe for the Americans, but I suspect not.

Honda make cars that are relatively good to drive. But I always wondered why their designs are such a let down.

Easily, they can conquer the market if they address this. One example is the civic which has good looks and a sporty drive.

One opposite example is the current Accord. I have only since one on the road since launch. And maybe it is because of the weird way it looks.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32898813/2021-acura-tlxs-new-airbag-design-revealed/

2021 Acura TLX New Airbag Design Revealed

Honda has developed a new type of airbag that uses inflatable sides and a "sail panel" to catch a passenger's head in forward collisions.

Developed with supplier Autoliv, the new technology is a response to tNHTSA's Brain Injury Criterion metric.

The automaker is promoting the safety feature for the 2021 Acura TLX, but other automakers will be able to get them from Autoliv to use in their own vehicles as well.

The 2021 Acura TLX is going all in on safety features, including a new kind of airbag designed to better protect a front-seat passenger from serious brain injuries in the event of a crash.

There are two ideas working together in this new airbag to catch, in a sense, a forward-snapping head in a baseball-glove-like cushion. There are two inflated chambers in the air bag, one on each side, along with an uninflated panel that stretches between them to slow down a head's movement. There is an inflated compartment under this "sail panel," as Acura calls it, that can then stop your head from hitting the steering wheel or dashboard. The "glove" receptacle also helps stop a noggin from sliding off to the side, which can happen with standard airbags.

"The sail panel allows the airbag to come closer to the passenger earlier in the crash event, providing earlier slowing of the passenger's head and helping direct the head into the airbag rather than letting it potentially roll off the bag, as can happen in certain angled crashes," Eric Heitkamp, principal engineer for crashworthiness at Honda R&D Americas, told Car and Driver.

Development of the new airbag was a true collaboration between engineers at Honda R&D Americas and supplier Autoliv, with concepts contributed by both sides to create the overall concept and design, Heitkamp said.

One of the drivers for the new airbag was NHTSA's development of a Brain Injury Criterion (BrIC), an engineering metric that can help predict the level of brain injury that may result from the shearing of brain tissue due to high rotational velocity of the occupant's head which can occur in some collisions, Heitkamp said. "The BrIC research to help better understand potential for brain injury from off-axis collisions is also a substantial advancement in automotive safety research," he said.

Even though Acura is highlighting the airbag technology for the new TLX, Honda is not keeping this new design to itself and has an agreement with Autoliv that will let other automakers use it in their own future products, even mentioning it in marketing for their own vehicles. "We are proud of this agreement with the hope that it does improve overall automotive safety," Heitkamp said.

Other improved safety features in the 2021 TLX include more airbags, including two new knee airbags in front. This brings the number of airbags in the new TLX to eight, including front and side airbags for the front occupants and side-curtain airbags with a rollover sensor. The new TLX will also be equipped with the AcuraWatch driver-assist system as standard. This version of AcuraWatch has improved pedestrian-sensing capabilities and an enhanced collisionmitigation braking system, as well as a driver attention monitor and traffic-jam assist. Acura says it is aiming to get the highest available safety rating from both NHTSA and the IIHS.

↡ Advertisement