Surgeon suspended eight months, for the second time, for not giving a patient enough medical leave

Windwaver

Turbocharged

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/surgeon-suspended-eight-months-for-the-second-time-for-not-giving-a-patient-enough

Surgeon suspended eight months, for the second time, for not giving a patient enough medical leave

yq-kevinyip-23042019_2x.jpg?itok=HTzJczN

SINGAPORE - An orthopaedic surgeon has been suspended eight months for not giving a patient sufficient medical leave following an accident.

↡ Advertisement

I split the post off the joke thread, as this is NOT a joke at all and it deserved more attention!!

Each and everyone regardless of race and nationality is entitled to sufficient medical leave when they sustain some form of injury, so that they can have proper rest which will in turn aid in the recovery from their injury. 2 days mc for a fractured finger?!

However in my line of work, I have indeed came across employer, particularly the supervisor and managerial level, telling doctor and medical personnel that the injury are not so serious, in bid to reduce the no. of medical leave to not more than 3 days, so that it would not be reported to MOM.

There was even an occasion when I told the company doctor to ignore the plea of the injured worker and his supervisor, failing to do so and I will not hesitate to report the whole incident to MOM and SMC.

I hope SMC will investigate further on all cases against Kevin Yip. It is not just about improper judgement but more of code of conduct and ethic aspect. Maybe CPIB should be involved too...

• Praise 10

Don't quite follow why this surgeon so ngiaow on ML. Most docs tend to err on the side of caution as far as ML n recovery is concerned as they don't want to be liable shld the patient be slow in recovery so likely give abit more ML to cover the extreme.

This case even I not doc also feel is inadequate as he was not given ML but light duties after a shoulder op which is clearly insufficient.

Some more this surgeon kena before so it just beggars belief!

• Praise 4

23 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

I split the post off the joke thread, as this is NOT a joke at all and it deserved more attention!!

Each and everyone regardless of race and nationality is entitled to sufficient medical leave when they sustain some form of injury, so that they can have proper rest which will in turn aid in the recovery from their injury. 2 days mc for a fractured finger?!

However in my line of work, I have indeed came across employer, particularly the supervisor and managerial level, telling doctor and medical personnel that the injury are not so serious, in bid to reduce the no. of medical leave to not more than 3 days, so that it would not be reported to MOM.

There was even an occasion when I told the company doctor to ignore the plea of the injured worker and his supervisor, failing to do so and I will not hesitate to report the whole incident to MOM and SMC.

I hope SMC will investigate further on all cases against Kevin Yip. It is not just about improper judgement but more of code of conduct and ethic aspect. Maybe CPIB should be involved too...

Yes I heard of these stories before where doc was told by patient himself and employer as giving more than certain no. of days MC would require reporting to MOM n an accumulation of this kind of reports will count against the employer.

But docs shld have the ethical responsibility not to be pressurised into succumbing to this kind of requests but I guess if they turn down too often, they may not be renewed as company doctors in future so some docs do give in but this case seems abit extreme to say the least. I can perhaps understand for those 50/50 cases. 

• Praise 5

Sometimes it's not the employer who is at fault, it could be the employee who caused the accident and got himself hurt. If the employer report the accident MOM will take action and fine the employer. What do you think the employer will do next?

If the employee kenna fired, injured and no job no pay, follow up medical fee cannot afford to pay....it's not hard to imagine why the doctor did what he did. MOM will only find fault with employers and fine ppl. The repercussions that follow they dont fxxk care.

I believe the surgeon is trying to help his patient out of goodwill and not for kickbacks. I mean he's a surgeon, a profession that's already well paid, why would he want this kinda small gains? 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

Hi. I am actually wondering why the injured are not being sent to public hospital?

As we would know that the private hospitals fees are not cheap.

12 minutes ago, OnceInALifeTime said:

Hi. I am actually wondering why the injured are not being sent to public hospital?

As we would know that the private hospitals fees are not cheap.

It's obvious either the employer or the driver know the surgeon personally.

Twincharged

Actually har... This more than 3 days mc for work accident got to report started when? 

I almost chopped off my finger tip when I was cutting vegetables in the restaurant kitchen years ago ....imagine the blood that spilled on the sink of cut lettuce!! 

44 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Sometimes it's not the employer who is at fault, it could be the employee who caused the accident and got himself hurt. If the employer report the accident MOM will take action and fine the employer. What do you think the employer will do next?

If the employee kenna fired, injured and no job no pay, follow up medical fee cannot afford to pay....it's not hard to imagine why the doctor did what he did. MOM will only find fault with employers and fine ppl. The repercussions that follow they dont fxxk care.

I believe the surgeon is trying to help his patient out of goodwill and not for kickbacks. I mean he's a surgeon, a profession that's already well paid, why would he want this kinda small gains? 

Personally I also don’t think he is in this for kick backs Cos like what u say surgeon so well paid why want to risk his rice bowl. 

But I also don’t believe he is doing this out of goodwill to help the patient out. Having said all that, I can’t fathom why he is doing this as all theories seem unlikely. 

• Praise 3

4 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

SMC? 

Muayhahahahaha

wait long long lah.

Twincharged
(edited)
6 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

I somehow dont think that surgeons are operating like second hand sales man , on comms basis.

But if they fail to act ethically, shouldn't they be strike off the record.?

Since there was a hue and cry over not advising a patient of side effect, this MC thing surely is worst than that.

I do know that sometimes, the Staff do tell the doc, no MC because if they have a perfect no MC can claim back 400 dollars as part of medical benefit. 

Then what they do is go home and rest say tired and got night support...

But now with covid19, I hope all doctors practice good pragmatic approach to MC.

Edited by Sdf4786k
↡ Advertisement