Is it a gaffe to drive a bigger car than your boss?

firefly20

Is it a gaffe to drive a bigger car than your boss?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a gaffe to drive a bigger car than your boss?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends
    • I am the boss

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2020 at 04:00 PM

On 5/30/2020 at 12:01 PM, Mockngbrd said:

My boss take grab/mrt. How? 

Simi Giraffe la, it is a SUPER TABOO lor.  Boss also must be automatic lor, drive honda fit then below HOW ??  Go buy Fiat 600 ah ? Take MRT.....hmmmmm (there is ONLY 1 exception lor).

Here is my experience :

a) Don't follow a leader if your BOSS drive a small CC car, like example VP driving a Corolla or Civic.  VP is VP lor Leader is Leader lor

b) Don't follow a leader if your BOSS drive a SECOND HAND Car, want to drive a series 5, but like machiam that 2015 model leh.

BOSS are eagles, they chart direction (one direction hor) at simi  division/dept or whatever, they ARE RISK TAKER, they DARE TO BE DIFFERENT ......... please leh, talk so aggressive but drive a Corolla ..... OK lor, win lor.

Trust me, they will fail horribly , so horrible, there is no word in my vocabulary to describe lor.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4

My work requires me to go to different companies and because of my interest in cars, I will often chit chat about cars. For the older generation, it is a "no no" to drive a bigger or better car than the boss, however younger generation bosses/subordinates may not care much about this taboo.

There was one really big corporation that I served that the boss drives a Toyota Camry. For decades everyone was frustrated and many senior middle managers have to drive a Nissan Cefiro. Finally after 30-40 years, some managers nearing retirement were brave enough to drive Mercedes.

Another small British MNC I went to, the boss was driving a Toyota Altis. A bit more difficult to keep below.

Then on the opposite side, there was this American MNC where a senior manager was reprimanded for driving a Nissan SUV and was told that the minimum for him was an Audi but he refused to comply and later resigned for other reasons.

As the car a person drives can tell me very much about the character of the person, I do spend alot of time noticing which car they drive as this help me in my job as an external consultant/assessor. 

• Praise 4

Supersonic
35 minutes ago, andrewyewkc said:

My work requires me to go to different companies and because of my interest in cars, I will often chit chat about cars. For the older generation, it is a "no no" to drive a bigger or better car than the boss, however younger generation bosses/subordinates may not care much about this taboo.

There was one really big corporation that I served that the boss drives a Toyota Camry. For decades everyone was frustrated and many senior middle managers have to drive a Nissan Cefiro. Finally after 30-40 years, some managers nearing retirement were brave enough to drive Mercedes.

Another small British MNC I went to, the boss was driving a Toyota Altis. A bit more difficult to keep below.

Then on the opposite side, there was this American MNC where a senior manager was reprimanded for driving a Nissan SUV and was told that the minimum for him was an Audi but he refused to comply and later resigned for other reasons.

As the car a person drives can tell me very much about the character of the person, I do spend alot of time noticing which car they drive as this help me in my job as an external consultant/assessor. 

Interesting sharing. 

Can share some findings on the character of person based on type of car driven?

External consultant/assessor in recruitment ?

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
40 minutes ago, andrewyewkc said:

eh? the company can dictate what you need to drive even when they are not paying for it? i stand with the American MNC chap. why should i drive an Audi? unless the company co pays, then sure. if not, when i self pay, who are they to dictate.

58 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

Interesting sharing. 

Can share some findings on the character of person based on type of car driven?

External consultant/assessor in recruitment ?

Stay safe 

Cheers 

In Singapore a car is a huge outlay with mortgage, unlike my friend in France who buys a new BMW with full cash like a new refrigerator. So a person here would have spent much time considering which car to buy and that can reflect alot of the financial capability, personality and temperament of the person. Just compare a person who would buy a Kia Stinger vs a Toyota Vios. 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

eh? the company can dictate what you need to drive even when they are not paying for it? i stand with the American MNC chap. why should i drive an Audi? unless the company co pays, then sure. if not, when i self pay, who are they to dictate.

This is exactly what that guy said to me.

Looks like this thread has died it's natural death. Slightly less than half of the people polled (43.48%)  felt that driving a bigger car than boss wasn't taboo while almost the same proportion expressed some form of reservation (42.29%).

Anyway this poll was good fun while it lasted. Thanks to all who participated either in the pool or in this thread. It was something I started due to boredom during the CB.

Who know, 10 years later I may create a similar poll just to see if existing mindsets have changed (if I'm still alive 😁).

Why not extend it to every part of your life then.

Is it a gaffe to have a better looking spouse than the boss 🙄

Is it a gaffe to have a more expensive hp

Is it a gaffe to have your kid in a ' better ' school

Such comparison got no end, in life, you maybe doing better than someone higher up than you and he/she maybe doing better in another or other aspects which you had not achieved it, thus, there is no end to it, just be contented with what you have and aspire to do better and improve life-skills and experiences, there is really no point in short-cut to all achievement! 😉

• Praise 2

(edited)

win liao lor the closing speech...seeking entertainment at the expense of others just bcos of one's boredom. Rather then engaged in the existing more constructive topics. 

Edited by Unfazed

My expat boss did not drive to work. He takes a "pao" taxi to and from work. He left the car for his wife to ferry the kids around. Whenever we have an overseas colleague to entertain after work, I am called to be the driver for the overseas colleague to venue and then to the hotel. So my boss is happy that I drive a nice car to work (partially funded by my car allowance).

I have a true story regarding work and expensive cars. My children's pediatrician Dr visited my new born baby in hospital after the birth of our son. He drove a humble Toyota Corolla. I was impressed by his down to earth attitude. Then when I brought my son to his Mt E clinic for follow ups, I spotted him in his real car. A red Ferrari!  It is common practice for doctors who do house calls and hospital visits to have 2 cars. One is a humble bread and butter car that leaves a good impression with patients and easy to park in tight lots. To avoid criticisms of over-charging too. And have another real car when they are at home clinic with reserved lots. 

• Praise 1

Actually, its more of a question on what type of character your boss has.

Last time, my Team Lead drives a more expensive car as compared to my boss (Civic 1.5T vs a Hyundai Veloster).

Boss couldnt stand the eyesore, went to CnC signed for a new Merc to make sure his car is the most expensive one in the team.

No right or wrong perception la i feel. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Depends on the boss lah.

If he don't mind then don't mind lah.

If he mind then you should mind.

[scholar]

Yea, I know of another manager. She actually went to our AVP and asked, "Boss, do you mind if I drive a car which is more posh than yours to work? (Merc B180 vs Toyota Wish).

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

11 hours ago, SZ_ford said:

not sure if anyone has mentioned this....

if my boss doesn't drive, how ah? haha

Read the first few pages. Hilarious!

45 minutes ago, Ahtea said:

Yea, I know of another manager. She actually went to our AVP and asked, "Boss, do you mind if I drive a car which is more posh than yours to work? (Merc B180 vs Toyota Wish).

I suspect that bosses who drive Wish won't bother about car comparisons. These are the people who may have multiple properties to their names which they may not even want to share with others.

Anyway, did she really expect her boss to say that he/she minds? lol

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, firefly20 said:

I suspect that bosses who drive Wish won't bother about car comparisons. These are the people who may have multiple properties to their names which they may not even want to share with others.

Anyway, did she really expect her boss to say that he/she minds? lol

Nope, she doesnt expect her boss to say he minds. 

↡ Advertisement