Supercharged
(edited)
10 hours ago, Scion said:

changed to a new PC recently and restored my browser bookmarks

was going through the bookmarks for organise and deletion

realise many car forums already shut down for good

most car forums have migrated to Facebook as car interest groups

or they simply die off as the car models went end of line

is MCF the only local car forum left today?

feel kind of nostalgic, back then when car forums were popular, with lots of gatherings organized and new car gadgets for chng and modify

A few were based off Dephi Forums (a free hosted forum framework) and it seems like it was easy to setup but there were a lot of limitations in expanding functionality, look-and-feel, so it may not be able to sustain interest.

Toyota and Mazda forums were roaring in the mid 2000s, my feel is they died once COE started shooting up around late 2000s and the number of new (highly enthusiastic) young car buyers coming in to create the traffic, essentially stopped.

I actually feel that MCF is only being kept alive by its non-car discussions (HK threads; COVID threads, Makan thread). The number of new threads or postings related to cars have seriously dwindled in the last couple years.

Edited by t0y0ta
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

8 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

A few were based off Dephi Forums (a free hosted forum framework) and it seems like it was easy to setup but there were a lot of limitations in expanding functionality, look-and-feel, so it may not be able to sustain interest.

Toyota and Mazda forums were roaring in the mid 2000s, my feel is they died once COE started shooting up around late 2000s and the number of new (highly enthusiastic) young car buyers coming in to create the traffic, essentially stopped.

I actually feel that MCF is only being kept alive by its non-car discussions (HK threads; COVID threads, Makan thread). The number of new threads or postings related to cars have seriously dwindled in the last couple years.

If you visit the specific car thread, it can be lively and too lively at times till MODs have to step in.

The good thing about MCF, every new car will have a thread. It was useful for my research.

• Praise 6

Supersonic
20 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

VAG forum still alive but barely.

MCF still the best for the diversity. And backed by big papa, SPH.[lipsrsealed]

I owned a GTI and now Audi and never went to VAG forum.....lol

• Haha! 2

Supersonic
38 minutes ago, RadX said:

@Soya and me abt same time here, since 2002

damnnnnnnnnnn..been a loooooooooong time

That was the year i got my first ride...

U earlier than me so I call u kor kor

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged

I think a lot of these 'forums' have moved on to FB groups instead.. easier to organise meetups, buy/sell, groupbuys etc, instant response to questions etc..

8 hours ago, Inlinefour said:

3 members logged in now

not too bad

member post but no reply

@inlinesix help bmw forum you are old bird last visit 4 April 👍👍👍

Stalker spotted.

• Haha! 3

11 minutes ago, Beanoyip said:

I think a lot of these 'forums' have moved on to FB groups instead.. easier to organise meetups, buy/sell, groupbuys etc, instant response to questions etc..

FB also passe liao.

A lot of these forum has move to whatsapp or telegram

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Mockngbrd said:

Sg Bike forum still around? 

Carousell killed it 99%. But it was quite a mess to begin with.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
12 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Carousell killed it 99%. But it was quite a mess to begin with.

What has carousell gotta do w killing it?

Twincharged
9 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

The more we should treasure MCF.... Members and participants determine the survival of a forum, which is becoming a rare animal in the present world. 

I used to insist that a car forum must be automotive-orientated, and even refused to participate in non-motoring related threads / discussions just a few years back.

However over the last 2 years, I started to realise that if a forum is too rigid, it would kill off members' interest and discourage participation. Through some non-motoring discussions, it allows members to know each other better, thereby fostering a special relationship and build trust along the way. 

At the end of the day, a forum is a platform for people from all walks of life to share what they know, and reach out to others for what they don't know. Please upkeep the spirit of this forum. [:)]

Actually, going to facebook maybe a good thing. If kanna hack, facebook. Kanna reckless posting and lawsuit, also easier to csi.

Whats not to like. And you dont get the usual crap of selling passport and easy access to singapore PR chances application ads.

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Soya said:

I owned a GTI and now Audi and never went to VAG forum.....lol

I believe the vag forum has a strong deterence against joining for the sake of selling stuff and hence many drop after joining withnthe intent to sell or access to buyers who were of a different profile of desire.

Plus the fact that the vw build platform is across many model, easier to dekit and sell parts.

Turbocharged

Facebook groups not bad, but sometimes difficult to search for older posts and photos

if there are a lot of comments and new ones, also hard to read through

another reason probably because fewer people chng cars today? haha

no more loud bodykits, or air chargers/NOS, or big ass shiny rims

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

FB also passe liao.

A lot of these forum has move to whatsapp or telegram

very the true 👍

sbf too 🤫🤫🤫

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Inlinefour said:

very the true 👍

sbf too 🤫🤫🤫

Look at those specific model thread.

A lot of newbies asked to be added to whatsapp or telegram Group.

After that, they don't appear on MCF anymore.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

Look at those specific model thread.

A lot of newbies asked to be added to whatsapp or telegram Group.

After that, they don't appear on MCF anymore.

what to do

time change 

cotton harvest from sheep too🤭🤭🤭

• Haha! 4

I think in terms of car forum platform privacy is still the priority for me. Those social media and whatsapp, telegram groups are too open. There will be a tendancy of harassment, bullying etc. Like the Netflix Japanese girl who killed herself. MCF is a more controlled platform due to the moderators watching the threads. Not trying to por but it's important for them to step in when necessary.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
2 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

I'm only here bcos of Babyblade

17519222285ad709c96e11c9.86180462.jpg

Ahemmmm....babyblade is supposed to be the short guy in the sgcarmart review rite? Lol

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1