MCF - Last of the Car Forums?

Scion

On 5/31/2020 at 10:08 PM, Scion said:

changed to a new PC recently and restored my browser bookmarks

was going through the bookmarks for organise and deletion

realise many car forums already shut down for good

most car forums have migrated to Facebook as car interest groups

or they simply die off as the car models went end of line

is MCF the only local car forum left today?

feel kind of nostalgic, back then when car forums were popular, with lots of gatherings organized and new car gadgets for chng and modify

one of the some car meetups i went to (in 2005... gosh 15 years ago.......😞

248591939_2005vios.thumb.jpg.b9a2327f92ef2544f54bfc531ef72877.jpg

This picture looks like Kallang carpark?

And yes in 2005, a brand new Vios can be bought from $55k, and with banks willing to loan out 100% of the purchase price.

↡ Advertisement

4 hours ago, No_worries said:

Starting from 2004 to 2009, that 5 year period saw a boom in number of new cars on Singapore. At it's peak, we were looking at perhaps 100k COEs in 1 year? Senior bros, please correct if I am wrong.

And prices were still relatively affordable and with 100% percent loans available from banks, there were lots of young and enthusiastic members who join and setup these model and brand car forums. And most of them were pretty happy they could own a brand new car. 

Those were the days.

That time we were looking at $15K COE on average and 10 year loans for cars.

Also, $75k can get you a good 2.0 litre car.

Some paid $60K for a new Mazda 6 when it was about to Eol

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Davidklt said:

That time we were looking at $15K COE on average and 10 year loans for cars.

Also, $75k can get you a good 2.0 litre car.

Some paid $60K for a new Mazda 6 when it was about to Eol

Cat A was $10-12k only then.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

talk about signature car models, i used to love these

Mazda Astina (big backside one)

Subaru Imprezza (bug eyed)

Toyota MRS

hardly see them on the roads these days liao

• Praise 1

Supersonic
15 minutes ago, RadX said:

Those were boom days

1 yr I can change 3 cars

and yes, one was a merc @Turboflat4

i helpch u remember 😂😂

Underwear sale during those times

And someone was living out his fantasies of being a teksi unker......😁

• Haha! 3

1 minute ago, Soya said:

Underwear sale during those times

And someone was living out his fantasies of being a teksi unker......😁

Hahahahha legendary story that one

damn.... been 8yrs liao

Supersonic
1 hour ago, RadX said:

Those were boom days

1 yr I can change 3 cars

and yes, one was a merc @Turboflat4

i helpch u remember 😂😂

Thank you but when it comes to your lao teksi Merc, my mammaries very good hor. 😂

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

I used to drive MRS for 2 yrs

Oh good. How does it handle? Can it easily be pushed into oversteer? 

Reason I'm asking is there are cheap MT MRS available on sgcm from time to time and I'm trying to get a disposable car to learn a bit of drifting after all this CB crap.

From what I've read, even though it is RWD, the MRS is not easy to push into controllable oversteer. That makes it a poor choice. The wheelbase too short. But you have practical experience, I'd love to hear from you. If you never pushed the car hard, it's okay don't worry I can find out elsewhere. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Reason I'm asking is there are cheap MT MRS available on sgcm from time to time and I'm trying to get a disposable car to learn a bit of drifting after all this CB crap.

From what I've read, even though it is RWD, the MRS is not easy to push into controllable oversteer. That makes it a poor choice. The wheelbase too short. But you have practical experience, I'd love to hear from you. If you never pushed the car hard, it's okay don't worry I can find out elsewhere. Thanks.

Mine came with aftermarket wheel with offset as wide as widebody kit.  Maybe that's why i can't push it into oversteer.

With spare wheel removed, it will offset the front rear weight distribution.  It might help with oversteer but not sure whether it is controllable.

• Praise 1

Those boring car model forum sure close shop la. Wat can they talk abt?

Reliability, good FC n my drum brake 7yrs don't need to change meh

• Haha! 2

Supersonic
1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

Put some cheapo, eco skinny tyres behind lor

• Praise 1

Supersonic
46 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Mine came with aftermarket wheel with offset as wide as widebody kit.  Maybe that's why i can't push it into oversteer.

With spare wheel removed, it will offset the front rear weight distribution.  It might help with oversteer but not sure whether it is controllable.

Appreciate it. A lot of vehicles can be pushed into oversteer. It's how difficult it is to control (by anyone other than a pro) that makes a difference. Thanks again for the feedback. 

• Praise 1

Supersonic
1 minute ago, Soya said:

Put some cheapo, eco skinny tyres behind lor

That's basically the way the gt86/brz did it, isn't it? Weaker rear tyres than the front so even a torqueless wonder could drift. 

Supercharged

My observations are cos those are car brand / variant specific clubs which will eventually due off since too focused, members changed cars and EOL issue. Other issues likely is the presence of other platforms like WhatsApp, telegram, Facebook for such clubs. MCF is a platform for all car makes and models, and other general topics, which more likely appeal to a bigger group, although I feel that majority are not so participative / on due to diversity of members. Lastly, I enjoyed my "stay" here even though I am less participating currently.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
35 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

That's basically the way the gt86/brz did it, isn't it? Weaker rear tyres than the front so even a torqueless wonder could drift. 

Precisely. Slap on some cheapo skinny used tyres maybe even a weedy FWD Attrage can drift. Lol

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1