Same Name Different Class

Carbon82

OK, I am trying out a new series of automotive related discussion thread. Let me know if you prefer something like these or otherwise.

There are hundreds of new model been rolled out worldwide by varies auto manufacturers each year, but the naming convention can be very different among manufacturer. Some would goes with fanciful or eye catching name, such as i, Wake, Up!, Naked, Today, Morning, while others choose to stick with names that have past through several generations such as Corolla, Civic, Golf, and different sizes of paper (A1 to A8).

And here's the interesting part, not all model are the same as their predecessor (or ancestor). I don't mean the look of course, but it term of characteristic or even class. I will first use the following 2 examples for illustrating my point.

Škoda Rapid

The 2nd Generation (1984 - 1990) Škoda Rapid was famous being described as "the poor man’s Porsche" after Autocar and Motor defined the Škoda Rapid "a beginners' course to the 911", as it had a rear-mounted engine and rear-wheel drive, just like the Porsche 911. This generation of Rapid is gaining in popularity as a classic car with Garde and convertible models being most sought after.

skoda_rapid_21.jpg

skoda_rapid_3.jpg

The current 4th Generation (2012 onward) Škoda Rapid are: a 5-door liftback and a hatchback originating from Europe, a 4-door sedan from China based on the same platform, and India's version of a smaller sedan Rapid originating from India, based on the PQ25 platform, all FWD and loaded with smallish and eco friendly 1.0 - 1.6L engine.

skoda_rapid_22.jpg

skoda_rapid_spaceback_17.jpg

In your opinion, should a nameplate be used only on the same type of car, so as to link it with its heritage, or it doesn't really matter, as it is just a name afterall? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 18

Internal Moderator

I can think of one car like this is the Ford Puma. 

Used to be a coupe during the 00s. 

But now they revive the name and use it on a CUV. 😕 

Still prefer the coupe over the CUV. 

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Keep what works. If the model is not distinguished enough to keep it's name or it's name is taken away by it's own manufacturer. Then just change lor.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Hyundai bestest. Change name maciam change underwear liddat

Hyundai Excel become Accent

Hyundai Sonata become i45 then back to Sonata

Hyundai Elantra become Avante then back to Elantra then back to Avante......

Maciam korean plastic surgery sia can change this n that anytime 😊

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 15

I would say the Suzuki Vitara is quite different to the first generation model which was a body on frame architecture and had a transfer case for off-road usage, in contrast to the current compact crossover that sits on a monocoque chassis.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
4 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

I hope Kia collaborates with Ford. 

Then we can get the Pu(ki)ma. 😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

Twincharged
13 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

OK, I am trying out a new series of automotive related discussion thread. Let me know if you prefer something like these or otherwise (through praise or comment).

There are hundreds of new model been rolled out worldwide by varies auto manufacturers each year, but the naming convention can be very different among manufacturer. Some would goes with fanciful or eye catching name, such as i, Wake, Up!, Naked, Today, Morning, while others choose to stick with names that have past through several generations such as Corolla, Civic, Golf, and different sizes of paper (A1 to A8).

And here's the interesting part, not all model are the same as their predecessor (or ancestor). I don't mean the look of course, but it term of characteristic or even class. I will first use the following 2 examples for illustrating my point.

Škoda Rapid

The 2nd Generation (1984 - 1990) Škoda Rapid was famous being described as "the poor man’s Porsche" after Autocar and Motor defined the Škoda Rapid "a beginners' course to the 911", as it had a rear-mounted engine and rear-wheel drive, just like the Porsche 911. This generation of Rapid is gaining in popularity as a classic car with Garde and convertible models being most sought after.

skoda_rapid_21.jpg

skoda_rapid_3.jpg

The current 4th Generation (2012 onward) Škoda Rapid are: a 5-door liftback and a hatchback originating from Europe, a 4-door sedan from China based on the same platform, and India's version of a smaller sedan Rapid originating from India, based on the PQ25 platform, all FWD and loaded with smallish and eco friendly 1.0 - 1.6L engine.

skoda_rapid_22.jpg

In your opinion, should a nameplate be used only on the same type of car, so as to link it with its heritage, or it doesn't really matter, as it is just a name afterall? 

I would think a name plate should be put on a car to not misled buyers. Calling it rapid when it’s really slow is such a understatement 

😂 

• Haha! 2

Supersonic
25 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

I would think a name plate should be put on a car to not misled buyers. Calling it rapid when it’s really slow is such a understatement 

😂

If a manufacturer dare name it's car Superb, anything goes liao

Maybe for consistency, the Octavia shld be renamed Skoda Not Bad

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

Isnt this called the Scala on carwow?

LoL...vw group has too many of the same car with different names. It's indeed confusing.

• Haha! 1

42 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Isnt this called the Scala on carwow?

LoL...vw group has too many of the same car with different names. It's indeed confusing.

That is the Rapid Spaceback underpinned by the PQ25 platform. The MQB Scala replaces the Spaceback hatch.

I guess you can say the design of the Rapid Spaceback and Scala is also same same but different.

scala_06.jpg

• Praise 1

19 hours ago, iamahbee said:

I would say the Suzuki Vitara is quite different to the first generation model which was a body on frame architecture and had a transfer case for off-road usage, in contrast to the current compact crossover that sits on a monocoque chassis.

You beat me to it. The Vitara today is so much different from the past generations, basically from a true off-roader to a crossover.

1st Generation (1988 - 1998)

autowp.ru_suzuki_vitara_5-door_uk-spec_3

2nd Generation (1998 - 2005)

suzuki_grand_vitara_5-door_51.jpg

3rd Generation (2005 - 2015)

suzuki_grand_vitara_5-door_61.jpg

4th Generation (2015 - Present)

suzuki_vitara_52_0137005e0df40a4d.jpg

• Praise 11

21 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Agree with your view. The Puma nameplate look kind of weird on a CUV, not that I am bias... ...

4 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

This is worse: Ford Mustang vs Ford Mustang Mach-e. Totally different kind of car.

2017-ford-mustang-v6-coupe-angular-front.png

mustang-mach-e.jpg

Beside Mustang, there is another one from Japan: Mitsubishi Eclipse.

From these sport cars

autowp.ru_mitsubishi_eclipse_gsr-4_1.jpg

autowp.ru_mitsubishi_eclipse_jp-spec_2.j

mitsubishi_eclipse_15.jpg

mitsubishi_eclipse_gt_premium_sport_pack

and finally transform into a CUV...

mitsubishi_eclipse_cross_99.jpg

mitsubishi_eclipse_cross_2.jpg

mitsubishi_eclipse_cross_46.jpg

• Praise 9

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

You beat me to it. The Vitara today is so much different from the past generations, basically from a true off-roader to a crossover.

1st Generation (1988 - 1998)

autowp.ru_suzuki_vitara_5-door_uk-spec_3

2nd Generation (1998 - 2005)

suzuki_grand_vitara_5-door_51.jpg

3rd Generation (2005 - 2015)

suzuki_grand_vitara_5-door_61.jpg

4th Generation (2015 - Present)

suzuki_vitara_52_0137005e0df40a4d.jpg

But then Suzuki stay true with the JImny! hahha. Still a off-roader with lotsa fun! without lotsa space. hahahah. 

18 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

I hope Kia collaborates with Ford. 

Then we can get the Pu(ki)ma. 😂

Might also be a cool collaboration between Ford and VW, with the latter reviving the Bora nameplate to create the...

Pu-Bor

• Haha! 5

Supersonic
39 minutes ago, iamahbee said:

Might also be a cool collaboration between Ford and VW, with the latter reviving the Bora nameplate to create the...

Pu-Bor

Better 3 way with Kia. 

Pu bor kia. 😂

• Haha! 7

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, iamahbee said:

Pu-Bor

2 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Better 3 way with Kia. 

Pu bor kia. 😂

I can see if Singapore have a car brand, the car model name sure very colorful one. hahhaha.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5