Same Name Different Class

Carbon82

8 hours ago, Brass said:

That new City is the size of some C segment cars a few years back!

It grew by 10 cm...maybe next time it will be longer than the Civic.

I would not be surprise if the 2021 Civic is inching towards 4.7m in length, and next gen City might hit 4.6m

Then Honda will need to come up with another smaller size sedan (back to 4.3 - 4.4m)

7 hours ago, iamahbee said:

I thought of the City too. There is another Honda that went through an extreme makeover through it's generations.

The Honda Insight. From a futuristic looking 2-seater, to a Prius-esque 5 door, and the current generation that looks like a Civic.

https___blogs-images.forbes.com_sebastianblanco_files_2018_01_am199909_inst01_01002H-e1516134342502-1200x809.jpg

2010_Honda_Insight_LX_--_10-03-2009.jpg

2020-honda-insight_100711438_h.jpg

Yah the insight is no longer as futuristic looking as the gen 1.

BTW, the 3rd gen Insight is basically a Civic hybrid with a different face and butt (it is based on FC Civic platform and chassis).

honda_civic_sedan_574_03c9038210ac0b5a.j

honda_civic_sport_sedan_32.jpg

honda_insight_425_021800000c0506aa.jpg

honda_insight_hybrid_ex_black_style_39.j

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

Yes, cars getting larger

and LTA car park lots still remain the same right.

ok.... mercedes A class comes to my mind, my impression is the subcompact size with cute look. One of my NUS's Prof who is 1.8m tall used to own 2 of these, one for him, the other his wife.  Now A class even has saloon version, can be as mistaken as C class for some.

A class.jpg

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

What about cars : Different name but same class ??  as in Ford Laser / Mazda 3 at the turn of the century 

16 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Hmm. But this one still can sit 5 and its drive with a hybrid powertrain. So i think still not that bad. hahah.

Ah yes, it's drivertrain remains a hybrid and retained the typical hybrid styling features like the Kammback, but I believe the first gen model was a 2-seater. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I remember seeing a silver first gen displayed at the entrance of Kah Motors showroom at Alexandra some months ago. Not sure if it's still there. 😁

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, iamahbee said:

Ah yes, it's drivertrain remains a hybrid and retained the typical hybrid styling features like the Kammback, but I believe the first gen model was a 2-seater. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I remember seeing a silver first gen displayed at the entrance of Kah Motors showroom at Alexandra some months ago. Not sure if it's still there. 😁

I dunno about the first gen. I think I am still schooling when the car just launched. 😅

• Praise 1

21 hours ago, iamahbee said:

I thought of the City too. There is another Honda that went through an extreme makeover through it's generations.

The Honda Insight. From a futuristic looking 2-seater, to a Prius-esque 5 door, and the current generation that looks like a Civic.

2020-honda-insight_100711438_h.jpg

Honda Civic itself started life as a very modest and different vehicle too, i recall. It was a small hatchback right?

On 6/1/2020 at 11:30 PM, Turboflat4 said:

I hope Kia collaborates with Ford. 

Then we can get the Pu(ki)ma. 😂

Kia already collaborated with Suzuki in SG for many years.

KiaSu is in everywhere life 😄

• Haha! 4

6 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

Honda Civic itself started life as a very modest and different vehicle too, i recall. It was a small hatchback right?

2dr hatchback 

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)
On 6/1/2020 at 6:39 PM, Carbon82 said:

OK, I am trying out a new series of automotive related discussion thread. Let me know if you prefer something like these or otherwise.

There are hundreds of new model been rolled out worldwide by varies auto manufacturers each year, but the naming convention can be very different among manufacturer. Some would goes with fanciful or eye catching name, such as i, Wake, Up!, Naked, Today, Morning, while others choose to stick with names that have past through several generations such as Corolla, Civic, Golf, and different sizes of paper (A1 to A8).

And here's the interesting part, not all model are the same as their predecessor (or ancestor). I don't mean the look of course, but it term of characteristic or even class. I will first use the following 2 examples for illustrating my point.

Škoda Rapid

The 2nd Generation (1984 - 1990) Škoda Rapid was famous being described as "the poor man’s Porsche" after Autocar and Motor defined the Škoda Rapid "a beginners' course to the 911", as it had a rear-mounted engine and rear-wheel drive, just like the Porsche 911. This generation of Rapid is gaining in popularity as a classic car with Garde and convertible models being most sought after.

skoda_rapid_21.jpg

skoda_rapid_3.jpg

The current 4th Generation (2012 onward) Škoda Rapid are: a 5-door liftback and a hatchback originating from Europe, a 4-door sedan from China based on the same platform, and India's version of a smaller sedan Rapid originating from India, based on the PQ25 platform, all FWD and loaded with smallish and eco friendly 1.0 - 1.6L engine.

skoda_rapid_22.jpg

skoda_rapid_spaceback_17.jpg

In your opinion, should a nameplate be used only on the same type of car, so as to link it with its heritage, or it doesn't really matter, as it is just a name afterall? 

When I see this Rapid, it brings back my memory of its sibling, the Favorit (one of my ex colleagues bought one, he told me "cannot run") of the same era. For this Rapid, IIRC, the configuring of the front bonnet is unique. It opens side way!

As for naming, I would prefer the model name to follow through, from gen to gen.

Corolla has been a very successful model. I don't understand why they need to twist the name from COROLLA to COROLLA ALTIS!   and COROLLA AXIO etc.

Golf is still Golf with the  difference in MKs . Mini still retains the same.

For Hyundai, are they alternating between Elantra and Avante?  I don't prefer to this.

009608.jpg

Edited by Fitvip

39 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

When I see this Rapid, it brings back my memory of its sibling, the Favorit (one of my ex colleagues bought one, he told me "cannot run") of the same era. For this Rapid, IIRC, the configuring of the front bonnet is unique. It opens side way!

As for naming, I would prefer the model name to follow through, from gen to gen.

Corolla has been a very successful model. I don't understand why they need to twist the name from COROLLA to COROLLA ALTIS!   and COROLLA AXIO etc.

Golf is still Golf with the  difference in MKs . Mini still retains the same.

For Hyundai, are they alternating between Elantra and Avante?  I don't prefer to this.

009608.jpg

Corolla Axio is a goner.

Auris is gone too.

All joined the Corolla fold.

For the sake of Avante, and Accent its fine...hope that they stick.

All they need to do is change the name of "Sonata" into something that starts with A.

Then they can boast that they make AAA+ saloons.

• Haha! 1

(edited)
15 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

I would not be surprise if the 2021 Civic is inching towards 4.7m in length, and next gen City might hit 4.6m

Then Honda will need to come up with another smaller size sedan (back to 4.3 - 4.4m)

Yah the insight is no longer as futuristic looking as the gen 1.

BTW, the 3rd gen Insight is basically a Civic hybrid with a different face and butt (it is based on FC Civic platform and chassis).

honda_civic_sedan_574_03c9038210ac0b5a.j

honda_civic_sport_sedan_32.jpg

honda_insight_425_021800000c0506aa.jpg

honda_insight_hybrid_ex_black_style_39.j

Then where does the Accord go?

I think they can make an Amaze L version, where L represents long wheelbase. Just resculpture the front to make it less awkward and change trims here and there and we will see a new "City".

Edited by Brass

Supersonic
16 minutes ago, Brass said:

Corolla Axio is a goner.

Auris is gone too.

All joined the Corolla fold.

For the sake of Avante, and Accent its fine...hope that they stick.

All they need to do is change the name of "Sonata" into something that starts with A.

Then they can boast that they make AAA+ saloons.

There are a of Aurises in New Zealand.

Twincharged
On 6/1/2020 at 11:30 PM, Turboflat4 said:

I hope Kia collaborates with Ford. 

Then we can get the Pu(ki)ma. 😂

Car don't have ...kueh can?

IMG-20200511-WA0015.jpg

• Haha! 5

Supersonic
4 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Car don't have ...kueh can?

IMG-20200511-WA0015.jpg

Yeah I wonder what she's selling, exactly. 🤔

2 hours ago, Fitvip said:

There are a of Aurises in New Zealand.

I thought they cancelled that alr?

I remember the new Corolla HB in Aussie is no longer Auris.

So on that line, NZ ones are also not Aurises.

26 minutes ago, Brass said:

I thought they cancelled that alr?

I remember the new Corolla HB in Aussie is no longer Auris.

So on that line, NZ ones are also not Aurises.

Auris is based Gen.

Corolla Hatch is current Gen.

I Rem NZ imports a lot of used JDM car. This could be the case.

18 hours ago, alphard96 said:

Yes, cars getting larger

and LTA car park lots still remain the same right.

ok.... mercedes A class comes to my mind, my impression is the subcompact size with cute look. One of my NUS's Prof who is 1.8m tall used to own 2 of these, one for him, the other his wife.  Now A class even has saloon version, can be as mistaken as C class for some.

A class.jpg

That prof of yours is by name of Alex?

In term of body shape, I agree that it has evolved from MPV-looking cute compact (W168) to a sexy hatch (W177), and yes what a big diff!

mercedes-benz_a_160_l_piccadilly.jpg

mercedes-benz_a_250_e_5_03bf00fe1ae31252

For the sedan version, well I take it as a variant among model, just like Audi with it A3 (3 & 5 door hatchback, cabriolet and sedan).

audi_a3_2.0_tdi_2.jpg

audi_a3_sportback_2.0_tfsi_s_line_2_00f6

audi_a3_cabriolet_1.8_tfsi_024e021f0a820

audi_a3_sedan_2.0_tdi_s_line_quattro_1_0

If you think A3 is like Rojak, then BMW will be the King of Rojak.

bmw_m2_coupe_42_021100000dad0910.jpg

bmw_220d_cabrio_m_sport_77_9.jpg

bmw_228i_xdrive_gran_coupe_m_sport_572_0

bmw_218i_tourer_sport_line_72_01a400a90a

bmw_2_series_gran_tourer_m_sport_22.jpg

• Praise 7

Neutral Newbie
On 6/2/2020 at 3:35 PM, Carbon82 said:

You beat me to it. The Vitara today is so much different from the past generations, basically from a true off-roader to a crossover.

1st Generation (1988 - 1998)

autowp.ru_suzuki_vitara_5-door_uk-spec_3

2nd Generation (1998 - 2005)

suzuki_grand_vitara_5-door_51.jpg

3rd Generation (2005 - 2015)

suzuki_grand_vitara_5-door_61.jpg

4th Generation (2015 - Present)

suzuki_vitara_52_0137005e0df40a4d.jpg

4th one actually looks nice

↡ Advertisement