Same Name Different Class

Carbon82

2 hours ago, Fitvip said:

Why would they hurt Corolla this way? It is in between Raine and Rav4. Why can't they Corolla alone as a saloon/hatchback/station wagon?

Raize => C-HR => Corolla Cross => RAV4

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

4 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Raize => C-HR => Corolla Cross => RAV4

i am thinking why shouldn't they leave Corolla alone? To me, Raize and Rav4 are enough to satisfy the two segments, while C-HR, is more on its own.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
7 hours ago, Fitvip said:

i am thinking why shouldn't they leave Corolla alone? To me, Raize and Rav4 are enough to satisfy the two segments, while C-HR, is more on its own.

No different, our Corolla Altis is not the Corolla of yesteryear. 

The real Corolla is no more.

28 minutes ago, Tohto said:

No different, our Corolla Altis is not the Corolla of yesteryear. 

The real Corolla is no more.

Altis is history now.

When 'Sport' Doesn't Mean Sport 

In a handful of moments throughout the years, automakers have used the "Sport" badge to indicate a smaller, cheaper version of an existing SUV.

Nissan Rogue (X-Trail) and Rogue Sport (Qashqai) 

5f44a983ff3b86ddbe5f38f243473d09.jpg

There have been a few instances over the years when automakers have been misleading. They’ve varied from subtle to blatant. Often time these creative diversions have to do with SUVs and crossovers, as automakers think of more and more ways to sell to customers in this oversaturated segment.

Every so often, for some reason, an automaker applies a “sport” badge to some SUV or crossover and it doesn’t mean what we think it would mean. In our enthusiast minds, we imagine a special suspension package, a more powerful engine, or at the very least, a more aggressive cosmetic package. But every so often, the “sport” badge simply means “smaller or more compact than the original model.” I can think of seven examples from recent years.

Chevy Captiva Sport

c72fa4d3bc06de696b85204ed8a0893a.jpg

Chevy Captiva

captiva-02.jpg

The Captiva Sport was a strange offering in the U.S. market with a complicated history. So Chevy sells a Captiva SUV in various parts of the world; it’s been around since 2006. It’s currently on its second generation and looks like a cross between a Chevy Blazer and a Traverse. GM never sold the Captiva here in the U.S.

Other parts of the world, mainly Central and South America, got a Captiva Sport that was based on the Opel/Vauxhall Antara. Saturn received a version of the Antara that was sold here as the second-generation Vue that was only around for two model years — coincidentally, the last two years for the Saturn brand, which folded in 2010.

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (ASX) 

952139004b4a7287799ef99e4780f30c.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander 2022

1200px-2022_Mitsubishi_Outlander_SE_S-AW

• Praise 6

From MPV to SUV, here's the transformation of Renault Espace over 6 generations.

I personally preferred the look of the 3rd (JE0) and 5th gen (JR). 

1984 - 1991 (J11) 

renault_espace_694.jpg

1991 - 1996 (J63) 

renault_espace_1925_00c2000012560de2.jpg

1996 - 2002 (JE0) 

renault_espace_v6_00ca00000c2e0910.jpg

2002 - 2014 (J81)

autowp.ru_renault_espace_concept_2.jpg

2015 - 2023 (JR) 

renault_espace_initiale_10.jpeg

renault_espace_e-tech_hybrid_51_075400ab

• Praise 6

Next time, it will be good to mention the brand and model of the car you are talking about. Some might mistook it for other model by the another brand... :D

harrier-banner-m.jpg

safari-overview-m-banner-27-23.jpg

For those not very familiar with the Safari name plate, it has been used by Nissan since 1980...

nissan_safari_hard_top_high_roof_ad_6.jp

And American GMC also had a MPV with the same name.

gmc_safari_passenger_van_5.jpeg

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 4