2021 Lexus IS Teased

RickyWee

2 hours ago, Hybrids said:

I wonder how it compares with the Alfa Gulia....they make much ado about new IS handling so that would be quite an interesting comparison for me. Since 330i already tough for IS350 to match acceleration in real life maybe a better comparison is with 318i? Drove G20 330d on Autobahn and it felt stronger 4GSh I had driven before, plus 1k range per tank. 

330d is IL6 diesel with almost 600nm torque from 1,750RPM onwards.

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Natnut said:

The 330i may be very slightly faster 0-100 than the IS350 but I doubt it can keep up past 100km/h. At lower speeds, traction, engine torque and the gearbox probably plays a bigger role than hp. But at higher speeds, hp is king and 311 hp should makan the 258hp of the 330i easily. 

Don't know about 4GSh but there are videos of the 3GSh accelerating 0-250 faster than the older generation 335i.

330 from 0 to 250km/h is 54.3sec

IS350 from 0 to 250km/h is 46.5sec

IS350 is 0.3sec faster at 150km/h.

• Praise 2

25 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

330 from 0 to 250km/h is 54.3sec

IS350 from 0 to 250km/h is 46.5sec

IS350 is 0.3sec faster at 150km/h.

Local buyers may not really care about 0-100 sub-second differences.

But BMW 3 series is brand new ground up model with best-in-class infotainment (most buyers care about this) while IS is a warmed up refresh of 2013 model with very dated interior.

The only way for IS to get buyers is really very sweet price - which is difficult as it kena 20k VES while 3series is neutral

• Praise 4

1 minute ago, t0y0ta said:

Local buyers may not really care about 0-100 sub-second differences.

But BMW 3 series is brand new ground up model with best-in-class infotainment (most buyers care about this) while IS is a warmed up refresh of 2013 model with very dated interior.

The only way for IS to get buyers is really very sweet price - which is difficult as it kena 20k VES while 3series is neutral

IS300 is running on a really old engine as compared to BMW 330.

it is shocking to see the co2/km of IS300 is almost 20% higher than BMW 330

6 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

IS300 is running on a really old engine as compared to BMW 330.

it is shocking to see the co2/km of IS300 is almost 20% higher than BMW 330

The 8AR-FTS not really that old as it was introduced in 2014.

But I believe it is tuned for reliability (low temp, conservative output) thus performance is so-so, FC no good and emissions is pretty high.

Unlike the finely tuned B48 engines.

26 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

The 8AR-FTS not really that old as it was introduced in 2014.

But I believe it is tuned for reliability (low temp, conservative output) thus performance is so-so, FC no good and emissions is pretty high.

Unlike the finely tuned B48 engines.

The AR series engine is really old.  Since 2008

Quite true, though I find for responsiveness in cut and thrust traffic with a feeling of ease, there is a big difference, though just an academic figure for most in terms of on paper figure.

Someone I know just jumped from Lexus turbo to G20 320i. Commented that the already excellent NVH is helped additionally by not needing much revs to accelerate swiftly.

Anyone driving the current IS turbo test driven this new IS? any experience to share? I am hoping to see some comment compared to the old IS with this new IS.

To me, as far as i see this new IS, they are using the old engine. Change a bit on exterior. That's all, like that how to sell? 

1 hour ago, Themman said:

ATo me, as far as i see this new IS, they are using the old engine. Change a bit on exterior. That's all, like that how to sell? 

Exactly. Ok even if engine and chassis same same no problem. Many new models does carry over suspension and engines. But at least have brand new interior. Then they can truly claim it is NEW model.

No real point bringing this facelift into a very competitive and also shrinking segment.

Actually, the front half of the chassis was already a carry over from the 2IS to 3IS.  So it’s more than one generation ago. And the interior needed a rethink too. Ergonomically. That plus the same engine and infotainment, and as a Taiwanese review pointed out, the same old style hybrid system....Lexus must know something I don’t!

Anyhow the Germans are looking good again and the Koreans even more tempting, and then there is the Camry Hybrid. 

Edited by Hybrids

16 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

Exactly. Ok even if engine and chassis same same no problem. Many new models does carry over suspension and engines. But at least have brand new interior. Then they can truly claim it is NEW model.

No real point bringing this facelift into a very competitive and also shrinking segment.

15 hours ago, Hybrids said:

Actually, the front half of the chassis was already a carry over from the 2IS to 3IS.  So it’s more than one generation ago. And the interior needed a rethink too. Ergonomically. That plus the same engine and infotainment, and as a Taiwanese review pointed out, the same old style hybrid system....Lexus must know something I don’t!

Anyhow the Germans are looking good again and the Koreans even more tempting, and then there is the Camry Hybrid. 

Maybe its related to the news that Lexus is twinning their new IS with the Mazda 6, with IL6 engines, 48V, mild hybrid and e-supercharger.

https://www.mycarforum.com/forums/topic/2719056-mazda-reveals-straight-6-engine-that-could-be-used-for-next-6/?do=findComment&comment=7001519

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterlyon/2019/07/28/mazda-and-toyota-eyeing-collaboration-on-radical-new-6-cylinder-engine/?sh=368590487eb6

• Praise 1

Possible. It seems anything exciting from Toyota these days come via Toyota (new 86, Yaris GR, Supra ) rather than Lexus. Anyhow there are so many other choices out there nowadays, eg just compare UX with CX 30, IS with the new Euros, GS with the Stinger, etc for value. And when reliability is no longer a unique selling point, the writing is on the wall.

• Praise 3

16 hours ago, Hybrids said:

Don't think that is correct information. 3IS is a shrunken version of the 4GS chassis, the new N platform. So it is completely different from the preceding 2IS chassis. 

The infotainment part, looks are subjective I guess but realistically, all you need is Android Auto and Apple Carplay which the face-lift IS has and it also has touchscreen if you don't like using the Lexus touchpad or joystick. 

Considering performance to performance, the IS300 is competing against the 318i and 320i for similar price. 

The IS350 F-Sport is competing price and performance against the 330i and IMHO is the "best bargain". The legendary dual injection Toyota/Lexus V6, much much more reliable than the 330 4 banger. 311hp vs 258hp.The standard Torsen LSD, triple LED headlight, 19 inch wheels, standard Adaptive Variable intelligent shock absorbers vs the non adjustable shocks of the 330i.

My opinion only, IS350 F-Sport exterior appearance looks so much more aggressive and sportier than the 330i or C class or A4.

Only drawback is the 3.5L V6 road tax and higher fuel consumption but at this price point, if the difference in road tax and petrol costs is so important to you, then you should not be shopping in the segment of performance executive sports sedans. 

9 hours ago, Natnut said:

Don't think that is correct information. 3IS is a shrunken version of the 4GS chassis, the new N platform. So it is completely different from the preceding 2IS chassis. 

The infotainment part, looks are subjective I guess but realistically, all you need is Android Auto and Apple Carplay which the face-lift IS has and it also has touchscreen if you don't like using the Lexus touchpad or joystick. 

Considering performance to performance, the IS300 is competing against the 318i and 320i for similar price. 

The IS350 F-Sport is competing price and performance against the 330i and IMHO is the "best bargain". The legendary dual injection Toyota/Lexus V6, much much more reliable than the 330 4 banger. 311hp vs 258hp.The standard Torsen LSD, triple LED headlight, 19 inch wheels, standard Adaptive Variable intelligent shock absorbers vs the non adjustable shocks of the 330i.

My opinion only, IS350 F-Sport exterior appearance looks so much more aggressive and sportier than the 330i or C class or A4.

Only drawback is the 3.5L V6 road tax and higher fuel consumption but at this price point, if the difference in road tax and petrol costs is so important to you, then you should not be shopping in the segment of performance executive sports sedans. 

Happy to be proven wrong, but I do know that in the major front chassis components are interchangeable between them...thus not completely different. 
Good to see the F sport is well specified and equipped. For this segment I am not as concerned about relative price but also performance, thus IS350 vs 340i, as a top of the range comparison, rather than compared to 330i,  is not an unreasonable, otherwise, like you said, this could be the wrong segment to be shopping in. In this segment I expect performance to be leading, and continual improvements to be made, from all brands. Certainly, they have improved on the styling, even if the jury is still out on other fronts. I also would give current BMW ‘4 bangers’ more credibility, after all, Toyota also uses them on their halo model. 

The IS350 vs M340i comparison doesn't really work though since it's not just a small quantum like the road tax or petrol costs difference but a price differential of 90K. 

For 90K upfront price more, the M340i had better be significantly faster.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Natnut said:

The IS350 vs M340i comparison doesn't really work though since it's not just a small quantum like the road tax or petrol costs difference but a price differential of 90K. 

For 90K upfront price more, the M340i had better be significantly faster.

Any idea how much is the listed price for IS350? 

Is it around 240k range? 

8 hours ago, Hybrids said:

Happy to be proven wrong, but I do know that in the major front chassis components are interchangeable between them...thus not completely different. 
Good to see the F sport is well specified and equipped. For this segment I am not as concerned about relative price but also performance, thus IS350 vs 340i, as a top of the range comparison, rather than compared to 330i,  is not an unreasonable, otherwise, like you said, this could be the wrong segment to be shopping in. In this segment I expect performance to be leading, and continual improvements to be made, from all brands. Certainly, they have improved on the styling, even if the jury is still out on other fronts. I also would give current BMW ‘4 bangers’ more credibility, after all, Toyota also uses them on their halo model. 

V6 NA vs IL6 Turbo.  How to compare?

↡ Advertisement