new improved dorms for our FW like SAF bunks? Standby bed!!

StreetFight3r

Internal Moderator

I find it hard for the foreign worker to only have a cabinet to store all their barang barang. They come here not only few days, but maybe years. Cannot be one cabinet settle everything.

Since they alrd plan out a single deck setting, maybe they can get better furniture like a murphy bed for them also. I think is a wise investment.

th?id=OIP.DTG629YIHZ1DMLsRIgVhFQHaFU%26p

Or reuse the double decker bed as the storage

double_decker_bed_frame_single_size_uppe

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Twincharged
16 hours ago, Icedbs said:

To be specific, it is because the old dorms cost them a $92.5b lesson.

I NEVER apologized OK!!

Let me be clear about it.

$92.5B is ALL you gonna get.... its does not constitute, or imply an apology was required... nothing was wrong in the first place. 😤

image.thumb.png.835871a58da5525f1913a242db4e7144.png

• Haha! 1

14 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

I find it hard for the foreign worker to only have a cabinet to store all their barang barang. They come here not only few days, but maybe years. Cannot be one cabinet settle everything.

Since they alrd plan out a single deck setting, maybe they can get better furniture like a murphy bed for them also. I think is a wise investment.

th?id=OIP.DTG629YIHZ1DMLsRIgVhFQHaFU%26p

Or reuse the double decker bed as the storage

double_decker_bed_frame_single_size_uppe

Dont think having more storage is a good idea.. Im thinking if I'm at somewhere only for work and at a hostel type place I will only need my essentials.. The more storage there is the more headache youll have when cleaning up lo.. If everyone hoard a bit a bit then jialat liao hard to declutter.. What the rooms lack seems like better ventilation better facilities to hang their clothes to dry and more floor space 

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, StreetFight3r said:

Dont think having more storage is a good idea.. Im thinking if I'm at somewhere only for work and at a hostel type place I will only need my essentials.. The more storage there is the more headache youll have when cleaning up lo.. If everyone hoard a bit a bit then jialat liao hard to declutter.. What the rooms lack seems like better ventilation better facilities to hang their clothes to dry and more floor space 

Good point. I never tot of it. 😅

Then have to focus more on the welfare wise for the workers.

Turbocharged

Actually I was quite shock these FW sleep on just plywood on their beds. Only saw it after this pandemic happened, if not we probably don't know what kind of conditions they live it..

Should really give those RSM a 2nd career path here!!!:omg:

Knock it down!!!! Touch the tree and come back!!! Carry your luggage overhead and run around the dorm!!! FW will soon learn the uniquely male Singaporean experience.:XD:

• Haha! 2

3 hours ago, StreetFight3r said:

Those NUS/NTU hostel students only have their essentials with them? When you are living somewhere for years, the place you are staying is your home and it can't be just pure essentials.

4 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Those NUS/NTU hostel students only have their essentials with them? When you are living somewhere for years, the place you are staying is your home and it can't be just pure essentials.

maybe Itll be gd for u to offer some solutions/suggestions/alternatives instead of just playing the devil's advocate? if possible and achievable im sure sg also want to give the best possible welfare to our foreign workers? Factor in space constraint, cost of building (cost that's gonna be added on to dorm operators, tax payers...) or maybe if we want to offer them  better hostel options, better facilities increased storage spaces, the foreign workers may have to contribute on the monthly fee too. I'm not sure if they have to now. NUS/NTU students are not staying for free that's for sure...No one is disputing against giving them better dorms and doing upgrades for them (we're all for it) so u dun have to be on the offensive all the time

55 minutes ago, Beanoyip said:

Actually I was quite shock these FW sleep on just plywood on their beds. Only saw it after this pandemic happened, if not we probably don't know what kind of conditions they live it..

I guess this pandemic happened for a reason.. Many things will have to change moving forward, it has highlighted the ugly side of sg and pushing us to make the necessary changes..If anything positive to take out of this pandemic, is that we will emerge out of this more prepared and even stronger.. 

On 6/4/2020 at 8:07 AM, Beanoyip said:

Tekong was 12 per room i think..

My enlistment in 97.

I think more like 40 per bunk as Ysc3 said. 

On 6/4/2020 at 4:34 PM, Silver_blade said:

FWs will need a new mindset and have to keep the toilets and their bunk really clean. Otherwise it will be smelly and dirty too.  They need to have a higher level of discipline to only lay on the bed after they have showered, do not eat in the room, wash their clothes daily, etc. 

True. 

In army we were force to make sure bunks, are kept clean and tidy. 

If given a choice, we will not clean toilets too. 

It was until reservice, with changes to army, no longer need to wash toilet. 

But most will keep the condition clean. 

The mindset of cleaniness is important to communal living. 

I have never been to any FW Dormitory or toilet. 

But I imagine the toilets are like some coffeeshop toilets. 

I only pity those people cleaning up. 

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, StreetFight3r said:

I guess this pandemic happened for a reason.. Many things will have to change moving forward, it has highlighted the ugly side of sg and pushing us to make the necessary changes..If anything positive to take out of this pandemic, is that we will emerge out of this more prepared and even stronger.. 

The living conditions for dorm should improve. No doubt. 

But even with the reduction of people per room, with any pandemic spreading its still going to spread due to communal amenities usage. 

It's will only slow the rate of infection. The land size of dorm is also key. 

When the mega dorm at Punggol was built. I remember driving past and telling my wife such massive dorm once there is any virus is going to be really bad. 

A lot of people complaining why treatment so bad? condition so bad? But not one ask why its sited so isolated? 

Why the dorms are not near housing estates opens spaces where all can be spread out? 

There were so many complaints when dorm near serangoon garden /lor Ah Soo few years back... Why? Because everyone has NIMBY mindset. 

Even as the cases and clusters formed, we can see actually many dorms are geographically spread out in SG, 

The biggest cluster was the Punggol one. 

It makes sense because the current biggest construction area is Punggol and making workers in construction staying near sites allow less travelling time for them, translating to more rest time. 

Key is no more such mega Dorms. 

SLA and MOM should work together and get Mindef to help them plan get advice. Why Mindef don't put thousands of men in one single location. 

For workers the cleanliness and habits must change even with smaller grouping of new Dorms. 

All must wear masks until vaccine is, available. 

These FW are building our country infrastructure. They are down meant standstill also. 

Housing them should be more strategically plan like military. 

But not in my backyard... No... may affect my property value, affect my safety, affect my queue in Sheng Siong....

Unless general public are willing to take FW into the living spaces. 

Most of us are just making motherhood statement of caring for their well being, equality, racist, gender profiling, SES..... etc. 

• Praise 2

On 6/3/2020 at 8:27 PM, StreetFight3r said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-singapore-new-dormitories-foreign-workers-conditions-12792538?cid=FBcna

Eight sites have been earmarked for new quick build dormitories by the end of 2020, including in Kranji, Tuas, Admiralty, Choa Chu Kang and Tampines. 

Under a pilot programme, the living space per resident at the new quick build dormitories will be improved to at least 6 sq m (not including shared facilities) from at least 4.5 sq m per resident (including shared facilities) currently. 

There will also be a maximum of 10 beds per room. There are currently no limits on the maximum number of beds allowed per room, although in practice, dormitories typically have about 12 to 16 beds in each room. 

The new set of requirements will see only single-deck beds being used, with 1m spacing between the beds. Double-decker beds are currently mostly used in dormitories.

There will also be at least one bathroom, sink and toilet for every five beds, instead of every 15 beds currently. 

FB_IMG_1591186892568.jpg

Toilets ... 1 set per 15 beds ... [hur] 

Turbocharged
On 6/4/2020 at 5:40 PM, Playtime said:

I NEVER apologized OK!!

Let me be clear about it.

$92.5B is ALL you gonna get.... its does not constitute, or imply an apology was required... nothing was wrong in the first place. 😤

image.thumb.png.835871a58da5525f1913a242db4e7144.png

The dorm is over-populated and that results in the widespread.

Strange.

Someone must demand an apology first before one could be made?

Turbocharged

My take is to.reduce the number and improve in skill level. We will continue to rely on FW but we do not need the current number. Squeezing to maximize revenue is not just dormitory problem. Look at our hawker centre, HDB shop including corridor, especially those provision shops or NTUC outlets, why did we landed this way? These are more import areas to look into because they are permanent and to stay.

Turbocharged
On 6/6/2020 at 12:31 AM, Atonchia said:

My enlistment in 97.

I think more like 40 per bunk as Ysc3 said. 

Mine was 2001, If i remember correctly, 1 platoon got 4 sections, 1 section got about 12-14 pax, each section per room.. about 4 rooms in each level.

I recall i was in platoon 1, which took the lowest level.. last platoon took the highest one, everytime hear them complain have to climb up an down damn tiring..

• Praise 1

Supercharged
On 6/5/2020 at 10:25 AM, Beanoyip said:

Bedbugs

U put mattress the bedbug comes in fast

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1