Do You Know Your House Could be Registered as Tenanted by FWs?

Atrecord

Late morning, i was on a Teams meeting, W'ingFH.

My doorbell bo battery, and there was knocking on the door. My father went to open the door, and a conversation started. My father is 86 btw, although still very healthy and fit, could sometimes be 'defensive' -- when got strangers come knocking. 😀

After a minute or two, i told my colleague i need to attend to something first, and ended the call, then went to the door.

Got 3 persons standing there, and my father then let me take over. The 3 officers identified themselves as from MOM, and said they were checking on whether we rent or had rented out our house/room to Foreign Workers before. I said no, and they said they're checking cos there is one FW who registered his residential address using our address! Now that's a shock...

The officer then explained that if it's not true, then the registration is wrong (i can't remember if he used 'illegal'), and suggested that I go online to check and if need be, to block my address from being used for this purpose. Then another officer took out her handphone to show me the website where this can be done. They then asked me for my name and contact number just in case MOM needs to check anything with me, and left.

I was a little shocked, and when i told my parents, they of course started more comments, more shocked, etc. etc. 😂

I then went online -- as advised -- to check, and to my surprise, saw not one, but four, FWs registered to my address!!!

The webpage advised to email a complain to MOM if anything is inaccurate, and i did that. Then i removed the 4 names and proceeded to update the record.

Not sure whether there's any implication on my address being used, but thought it's useful to share this here. Have never heard of this before...

You might want to check whether your address is also being used, and even if not, you can check the "block" option in the webpage so that nobody can use your address even if they want to.

The website -- need SingPass to login -- to check is Foreign Worker Tenant Enquiry Service (FWTES)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 26
  • Shocked 3

For those who don't have any tenant, you can "Block" your property being rented out to FW.

The option can be seen once you click on your address.

• Praise 5

Supersonic

Tsk tsk.....that bangla RadX fella anyhow use other ppl's address. How can liddat?

• Haha! 8

Thanks for sharing. I have similar encounter 2 years back. Long story short, my ex-tenant (who lease had expired before the whole incident was uncovered) asked his whole Kampong (father, mother sister, and 2 - 3 other relatives) to use my address when applying for work and dependent passes.

The things here is that there isn't any acknowledgement mechanism in place over at MOM and ICA, meaning any Tom Dick and Harry can suka suka put any address they like. My case was uncovered when I read news of such cases from the press (and I think MCF have a thread about it too - need to search). 

I did feedback to MOM and ICA about having 2 way authentication but was told they are still evaluating the situation and options available. For now, what we can do is to check through the link you have provided regularly to ensure that our address has not been misused.

• Praise 9
  • Angry 2

17 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

My doorbell bo battery, and there was knocking on the door. My father went to open the door, and a conversation started. My father is 86 btw, although still very healthy and fit, could sometimes be 'defensive' -- when got strangers come knocking. 😀

After a minute or two, i told my colleague i need to attend to something first, and ended the call, then went to the door.

Got 3 persons standing there, and my father then let me take over. The 3 officers identified themselves as from MOM, and said they were checking on whether we rent or had rented out our house/room to Foreign Workers before. I said no, and they said they're checking cos there is one FW who registered his residential address using our address! Now that's a shock...

The officer then explained that if it's not true, then the registration is wrong (i can't remember if he used 'illegal'), and suggested that I go online to check and if need be, to block my address from being used for this purpose. Then another officer took out her handphone to show me the website where this can be done. They then asked me for my name and contact number just in case MOM needs to check anything with me, and left.

I was a little shocked, and when i told my parents, they of course started more comments, more shocked, etc. etc. 😂

I then went online -- as advised -- to check, and to my surprise, saw not one, but four, FWs registered to my address!!!

The webpage advised to email a complain to MOM if anything is inaccurate, and i did that. Then i removed the 4 names and proceeded to update the record.

Not sure whether there's any implication on my address being used, but thought it's useful to share this here. Have never heard of this before...

You might want to check whether your address is also being used, and even if not, you can check the "block" option in the webpage so that nobody can use your address even if they want to.

The website -- need SingPass to login -- to check is Foreign Worker Tenant Enquiry Service (FWTES)

Your father's singpass might be compromised. Better change the password. I recently moved back to my parents and update my name in his residential address. Hdb really not doing anything. My sis moved out a few years ago and her name is still there.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Recently then i know FW can anyhow register any residential address without the knowledge of the owner. So i login in to SIngpass and block my house address.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
30 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

Tks for sharing bro. Didn't know such service exists online. Just went in to check mine. All good.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
33 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

thanks. never heard of this before!

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
59 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

Thank you, very useful information.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

Thanks so much. I checked and found my Korean ex-tenant (who downgraded to another smaller place in sg) remained linked to my condo, so I removed him. Current tenants are sg family but I left the option for work pass holder reg unblocked cos I want to leave my options open. My last two tenants have been FTs from Korea.

Edited by Turboflat4

Turbocharged

I have none in the website.

I proceed to block, just in case.

But I have a maid, she does not appear in the address, is it ok?

Supersonic
Just now, Albeniz said:

I have none in the website.

I proceed to block, just in case.

But I have a maid, she does not appear in the address, is it ok?

Yes, maid is OK. I have one, she doesn't appear in my main address either. Maid considered part of household I think.

• Praise 2

10 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Thanks so much. I checked and found my Korean ex-tenant (who downgraded to another smaller place in sg) remained linked to my condo, so I removed him. Current tenants are sg family but I left the option for work pass holder reg unblocked cos I want to leave my options open. My last two tenants have been FTs from Korea.

It can be unblocked anytime.

• Praise 1

Thanks for sharing.  Didn't come across this link before.

For my case, it is the opposite, I rented out the whole unit to the same FT family for several years already, but I don't see their names on the website.  Is this ok?

• Praise 1

Supersonic
54 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

It can be unblocked anytime.

Good to know. I was concerned I had to do something in person. Thanks. 

knn my rental unit also kena

always been tenanted to working professionl - currently a lady doc

i have also removed and reported to MOM

1) Looks like i'm not (the only) mountain tortoise who dunno about this site before - since so many here also didn't know 🤣

or that actually got people go around using random (?) addresses to register as their own - and i also wonder for what... if they really used, and got letters sent to them at my address, the letter also will not reach them what...

2) Glad that it's helpful and of use to some here, to clean up/complain about these aliens, or simply to 'block' it off to prevent your address being used.

• Praise 3

I wonder if they fine those ppl who anyhow submit bogus addresses. Also a waste of MOM resources to go check one by one.

And why does the system not require mandatory approval from the property owner in the first place? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4