Goodbye Smove 2011-2020

You will be missed

Smove, 2011 – 2020

Many of you have read about Smove’s closure and we would like to take a moment to honor them. 

Smove was one of the pioneers of the car-sharing scene in Singapore. With the admirable ideals of a greener environment, they started audaciously with electric vehicles. Alas, their journey wasn’t as smooth as their namesake; the EV demand and infrastructure was not yet mature, and they had to pivot back to regular cars. Despite coming close to bankruptcy many times, Smove fought relentlessly and eventually made their mark by becoming the largest car-sharing operator then. Their history was remarkable.

The unexpected closure of Smove definitely saddens all of us. For many Singaporeans who don't own a car, Smove was a convenient way to getaround. Many private-hire drivers also benefited from using Smove to generate a supplementary income. Their customer service was often raved about. They were a service many loved. A service that provided a sense of familiarity when we saw their iconic white Aqua with blue ears on the roads.

To Tribecar, Smove was a respected competitor. We could never afford to rest on our laurels as Smove and Tribecar worked harder always to better serve the community. One feature we admired was your one-way rental, which we could not find a way to offer in a financially prudent manner. Thank you for your part in this journey. Tribecar has always shared your vision of a car-lite society and will never stop working towards it. We also love your iconic Aqua with blue ears and will continue to let it roam the roads of Singapore.

You’ll be missed, Smove.

Sincerely,
Tribecar

Ive used Smove once for their one way rental as I had the $20 referral code. Easy and convenient.. Goodbye Smove. Many other rental companies to follow next.. 

download.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Smove was good when first started, I used them quite often as they are convenient and easy to access (available at many locations, no car key, just use ezylink card) booking also easy on pc or phone.

However, after they offer their vehicle as PHV, it is not the same any more. Cars were dirty most of the time, some have cig smell. I understand they need more revenue from these booking and I believe more than half come from PHV driver.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator

Ironically I happen to saw car club ads. 😅

2033778545_Screenshot2020-06-05at9_07_41PM.png.85b2a69b844cc3830ac61ee74c95bc33.png

The past recent years they have focus on the private hired market. So when PHV is not doing good, they cannot sustain the hit.

Their network of cars is very good. If only they can target more on the young family that have no cars but want to drive occasionally.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Buesiness will move When time is good but when time is  bad, nothing will move. Not just Smove, even large company like Hertz also file for bankruptcy . If lockdown will to continue longer  in many countries, we can expect to see more of such  obituary, sad to say.

• Sad 2

Turbocharged
9 hours ago, Davidklt said:

Actually, there is demand. Look at Blue. Permanent installation with battery points in HDB flats.

this one tie-up with government, think there's a certain requirements for them to reach even if not earning money now. 🤣

Supersonic

Not easy to sustain a car sharing scheme. I think over the years quite a few car sharing scheme also closed down. But seems like car club from NTUC should be the only one which can survived at least a decade. Even until today this car sharing scheme still like quite good business?! 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Inlinefour said:

BlueSG seems doing very well 

No wonder smove uplorry 

Never use before the rest so not sure wads their pricing scheme but full day rental for Smove is ex.. Their hourly blocks are the ones with the better rates/convenience... Full day rental for Smove can be 100 odd although inclusive of petrol but I can easily get a jap car for $40—60 rate/day..prob attracting diff crowd/demographic.. 

Bluesg driven by ah bengs haha

Edited by StreetFight3r

19 minutes ago, StreetFight3r said:

Never use before the rest so not sure wads their pricing scheme but full day rental for Smove is ex.. Their hourly blocks are the ones with the better rates/convenience... Full day rental for Smove can be 100 odd although inclusive of petrol but I can easily get a jap car for $40—60 rate/day..prob attracting diff crowd/demographic.. 

Bluesg driven by ah bengs haha

my mscp got 4 bluesg but almost out most of the time 

the sound of the car is really super irritating 

thought electric should be quiet like tesla right 😂😂😂

• Haha! 2

Supersonic
11 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

my mscp got 4 bluesg but almost out most of the time 

the sound of the car is really super irritating 

thought electric should be quiet like tesla right 😂😂😂

Bluesg indeed seems quite good business, dont know if their rental rates really that good? But i find their cars looks too flimsy and always see them drive quite fast on the road.

• Praise 1

34 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Bluesg indeed seems quite good business, dont know if their rental rates really that good? But i find their cars looks too flimsy and always see them drive quite fast on the road.

100% agree...looks like toy car... fragile looking 🤐🤐🤐

5th Gear
54 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

100% agree...looks like toy car... fragile looking 🤐🤐🤐

Fragile looking and yet most of the drivers in them will sped past us on lane 1.........

Supersonic
4 minutes ago, Alg said:

Fragile looking and yet most of the drivers in them will sped past us on lane 1.........

I see also worry for them.

↡ Advertisement